Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rd9108 said:

Euro a little better but it never allows this to phase and increase heights infront of it. Also some nice hits on the gefs. Our friends down in WV and the PA border should pay close to attention to this. 

I’m trying but just 2 days ago it showed a monster event for the whole subforum, then yesterday the whole system shifted below PA border-I’ll get excited come Friday if it shifts north a few ticks 

45 minutes ago, Mailman said:

I haven't looked at them...  is there any ensemble support for Sunday-->Monday?  Euro op and CMC op aren't showing anything like the GFS. 

Euro there's a few hits but a majority of them are south. Let's see if it trends again. It made a huge jump between 0z and 12z. 

Yeah I'm personally waiting for NAM range.  The 12Z Icon was a miss to the south, no phase, but the 18Z is just rolling out.

I think right now the overall majority favor a southern slider, so there's still some work to do.  UKIE and GFS are on their own for now.

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
316 PM EST Wed Mar 7 2018

OHZ040-041-050-PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-029-031-073>076-WVZ001>003-
509>513-082030-
Carroll-Columbiana-Jefferson-Mercer-Venango-Forest-Lawrence-Butler-
Clarion-Beaver-Allegheny-Armstrong-Indiana-Washington-Greene-
Westmoreland-Westmoreland Ridges-Fayette-Fayette Ridges-Hancock-
Brooke-Ohio-Monongalia-
Ridges of Eastern Monongalia and Northwestern Preston-Preston-
Eastern Preston-Western Tucker-
316 PM EST Wed Mar 7 2018

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for east central Ohio, northwest
Pennsylvania, southwest Pennsylvania, west central Pennsylvania,
western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia and northern panhandle
of West Virginia.

.DAY ONE...This Afternoon and Tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday.

After a lull Thursday morning, snow shower coverage is expected to
increase for Thursday afternoon and Thursday night, with a few
inches of accumulation possible. Winter weather advisories may be
needed.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation is not expected at this time.

$$

2 hours ago, jwilson said:

Yeah I'm personally waiting for NAM range.  The 12Z Icon was a miss to the south, no phase, but the 18Z is just rolling out.

I think right now the overall majority favor a southern slider, so there's still some work to do.  UKIE and GFS are on their own for now.

Agree on this. A decent hit is still in the envelope of potential tracks if you look at individual ensemble members. 18z GFS came in South too so that doesn't help provide any clarity. 

2 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Agree on this. A decent hit is still in the envelope of potential tracks if you look at individual ensemble members. 18z GFS came in South too so that doesn't help provide any clarity. 

The one good thing is almost all of the ensemble members have plenty of juice, so it appears moisture won't be the issue.  We really need a full phase or at least a diminished - if not completely eliminated - northern stream kicker.  The GFS OP continues to flip-flop between runs which makes it extremely hard to trust either way.

The long-range NAM looks weird.  It brings in a 50/50 low (not quite but close) late and then actually moves it towards the West, hanging stationary over Maine for hours and hours.  That seems to be the primary feature preventing the southern storm from gaining latitude.  Eventually it does eject and the storm starts riding up the coast, far too late and keeps all precip under the Mason-Dixon line.

The fact that we don't have one northern solution is a tad concerning.  Suppression in March is quite unusual, though.  Also, we'd probably be uncomfortable if we we under the bullseye at this range.  A late north trend isn't uncommon, by any means, so I think the end question becomes how far north can this eventually come?  I think for Western PA, anything but a full phase won't get it done.

I'm not ready to give up, but we're pushing the tempo, that's for sure.  The look overall screams classic Miller A to me.

4 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

The next storm is dead in the water as of now. I'll check the 12z euro and if there's no positive trends im done with this one. It's annoying that we get the block and we can't buy any snow. 

Probably one of the most disappointing 30 day periods of winter I've seen.

Last winter was already a dud before the well advertised February torch, but this winter actually had some promise.

39 minutes ago, Mailman said:

Seems like tonight into tomorrow has fallen completely apart for down this way.  

According to HRRR....Unless you are north of I-80 under a pro-longed band, everyone is looking at less than 1 inch in snow showers tonight. Even the smallest of snow potentials are shifting away from us. 

I was just out walking the dog and the sharp cold wind was getting to me. If we aren't getting any storms let's get the warmer weather in here and hope for spring storms again. Then in the winter of 2018-2019 we can hope for our big storm. (lol)

4 hours ago, SteelCity08 said:

I would love to see a map of PA for 10" storms over the past 8 years. Something tells me our pocket of the state is the only spot who hasn't seen one. 

I'd be curious when the last time was that all of PA got snow from the same storm.  Recent history makes me think it has never happened.  Storms have hit north and south, but never right in the middle.

Archived