joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny watching the models tonight. You can't make this stuff up. 2 counties north east of us they get 2-4 inches overnight into tomorrow. Across the state they are getting 6-12 inches of snow tomorrow. Thursday eve into Friday wrap round snow showers give 2-4 inches north and west of us????? :facepalm: :lol:

28 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Funny watching the models tonight. You can't make this stuff up. 2 counties north east of us they get 2-4 inches overnight into tomorrow. Across the state they are getting 6-12 inches of snow tomorrow. Thursday eve into Friday wrap round snow showers give 2-4 inches north and west of us????? :facepalm: :lol:

Don't worry the next storm will trend north and hit us. 

45 minutes ago, north pgh said:

This hobby is really starting to bore me now living in this area. It's just the same story over and over. We get nickeled and dimed all winter while pretty much every storm misses us. If we happen to get 4 or 5 inches from something, which even that doesn't happen too often, we celebrate it like we just got a foot or more. lol That's why I said earlier that I'm just ready for spring now. Even that is going to hold off with this chilly air mass we'll be dealing with for a while. OK, done ranting. Should have saved this for the other thread.

Drove through some of the heaviest snow I have witnessed in quite a while this morning heading South on 28 around the Pittsburgh Mills mall. Radar showed pockets of 50dbz returns on radar. Couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of me, everything covered in snow, yes even roads. It was intense but brief. I honestly expected to see sleet or something with what the radar was showing. (Rates > Warm Ground + Sun Angle + Marginal Temps)

I think we've been missed in every direction but the south this year, so it would seem only fitting to end on that note.

Still a fair chance it comes north, though.  As an ex-Philadelphian, however, boy do I notice the stark difference between climates.  Living on the coast just provides so many more intriguing snowfall opportunities.

Honestly I start the fire academy Monday so if we miss this storm I won't be all that upset. It'll come eventually, I just might be married with two kids by the time it finally does. Today's runs are important especially if the GFS is right about timing. 

Just now, Rd9108 said:

This has huge huge potential. With the block in place this is easily a possible 24 hour event. The question is will we see a similar outcome as the infamous Jan 2106 blizzard. 

Jan 2106??? What model did you get that from!?!?!?!?!?

27 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Canadian has stayed south. Get ready for the ups and downs for the next one.

Yep, Canadian missed the phase. You can see by 96 hours GFS has much more interaction with the northern and southern stream vort.  GFS isn't perfect though, we want that to happen cleaner and faster so the storm can amp faster, raise heights more along the coast and ride further NW.

GFS:

gfs_z500_vort_us_17.png

Canadian:

gem_z500_vort_us_17.png

47 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

This has huge huge potential. With the block in place this is easily a possible 24 hour event. The question is will we see a similar outcome as the infamous Jan 2106 blizzard. 

This is probably the biggest concern for us now. We can probably rule out a to far NW track given the block etc. Jan 2016 was a real divider, folks down by the M/D line were shoveling double digits while 50 miles away got like 3-5 inches. Really hope we don't see a repeat of that, unless it all gets shifted NW and screws somebody else! :P

18 minutes ago, north pgh said:

2106 will be our next 12 inch snowfall. :P

Ha, well hopefully by then I can have my mind transferred over to some sort of AI so I can be around to enjoy it lol.

Want to get excited for Sunday night and Monday? Don't listen to NWS PGH.

Extended starts out quiet as we are between two systems.  This won`t
last long as a much advertised low pressure ejects from the lower
Mississippi Valley Saturday night into Sunday.  Current projections
from GEFS and EPS have the low still with a more eastward
progression to the coast before heading northbound. This will spell
little precip for our region with areas south of the Mason-Dixon
line having a chance at snow.  We will monitor this, as a shift west
and north would mean big changes in the forecast, but with several
runs continuing to show this, confidence is increasing of a low
impact event, if anything at all through Monday.

Archived