Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Unlikely, but snow cover definitely can throw it off in the other direction (verification is colder than MOS in winter radiation events). 

The problem is probably climo. MOS wants to decouple, because more often than not ASOS sites are calm at night. So dry air mass and calm winds and MOS wants to drill temps down. MOS was OVC last night, so not sure why it still insisted on single digits.

The first night I was still surprised it was hammering lows so hard since it was really amped up on the winds...lots of 10-15 values all night which is usually indicative of no chance to go calm. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Saw this on the Stowe Rec Path while walking the dog, lets hope the bees are right.  The old country legend is that the higher the bees make their nests in the trees, the deeper the snow will be in the coming winter.  Mostly hogwash but still fun to see this bees nest 50ft up in the air.

23561415_10103226513712520_6798495800771

It's amazing how those damn things can handle 50mph winds up so high on thin branches. I saw one today about 30 ft up  thought it was a squirrels nest at first 

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

It's amazing how those damn things can handle 50mph winds up so high on thin branches. I saw one today about 30 ft up  thought it was a squirrels nest at first 

That's a great point...based on the size and time of year, one can imagine it's been there for a while.  The fact its still hanging after the damaging wind event, then the wild FROPA on Thursday night...they have some serious staying power.

So my friend who lost his Dad this year was looking to find the date this picture was taken in Westerly RI, he thought Christmas 1963/64. So I looked at Kingston RI coop to find out. Wow what a Dec 63 was, I was 6 living in Westerly,  no wonder I grew up thinking Dec was a deep winter month. -9.7 With 22 inches.  Looks like it was a south of Pike month as places north didn't have as much snow.

FB_IMG_1510541657189.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

So my friend who lost his Dad this year was looking to find the date this picture was taken in Westerly RI, he thought Christmas 1963/64. So I looked at Kingston RI coop to find out. Wow what a Dec 63 was, I was 6 living in Westerly,  no wonder I grew up thinking Dec was a deep winter month. -9.7 With 22 inches.  Looks like it was a south of Pike month as places north didn't have as much snow.

FB_IMG_1510541657189.jpg

Yeah 17.5" in Hingham with 9" OTG at Christmas. We pray.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Saw this on the Stowe Rec Path while walking the dog, lets hope the bees are right.  The old country legend is that the higher the bees make their nests in the trees, the deeper the snow will be in the coming winter.  Mostly hogwash but still fun to see this bees nest 50ft up in the air.

23561415_10103226513712520_6798495800771

My neighbor has one so low I could pop it like a piñata, so I hope it's bs. I stick to tried and true predictive methods like squirrel tail girth and wooly bear caterpillar stripes.

Jesus.  Just found out one of the neighborhood/childhood gang was involved in a double homicide out in Vegas. 

So im online reading about it but had to click through countless other murder stories...  I mean it's like afternoon scheduled tea time out there. Holy **** with all homiciding 

glad we don't live there huh

Archived