• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2017 Discussion

Hoosier

BTW, I think now would be a good time to mention my days are numbered around these parts. I will soon be moving to Georgia (suburban Atlanta) for a new job. I should be there permanently by the end of October. So this is going to be the perfect type of moving weather (dry and warm). I'm loving it!

Of course, it would be my luck that Detroit finally sees the *REAL* big one (snowstorm) as soon as I leave. :rolleyes:

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, I think now would be a good time to mention my days are numbered around these parts. I will soon be moving to Georgia (suburban Atlanta) for a new job. I should be there permanently by the end of October. So this is going to be the perfect type of moving weather (dry and warm). I'm loving it!

Of course, it would be my luck that Detroit finally sees the *REAL* big one (snowstorm) as soon as I leave. :rolleyes:

Now's the time to jump on the Falcons bandwagon.

7 hours ago, Powerball said:

Lol. 17" storm didn't do it for you a few yrs ago hehe? But if you are leaving, here comes a 2 footer centered over downtown. 

Jokes aside congrats on the move but I do not envy you. Snowless winters and torrid summers. My nightmare. You will have to stay in touch. Im sure you won't miss the gray but I bet you will miss snow a little bit. You will do fine in the heat though. It will be interesting to see if Atlanta gets a 1 inch snow this winter. We will get a first-hand account of the chaos that ensues :lol:

7 hours ago, Powerball said:

Time to start rooting for those Tallahassee to Myrtle Beach screamers

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Just insane anomalies. Jun/July/August ended up at -.4 overall at Buffalo. Currently at +2.1 for September. It seems these patterns setup in 3-6 month increments. We saw a very similar pattern from Oct-March last year with above normal temps. April-August was cooler than normal. Now we are back to well above normal. 

Lol I'd say it's too soon to call a pattern shift. It's only been above normal for less than 2 weeks lol. I am not thinking a mild winter this year, but I'll save thoughts for the winter thread.

8 hours ago, Powerball said:

Congrats on the move. You will be missed around these parts. I hope all goes well for you.

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

The next heat wave appears to be much worse for the far western part of the subforum.

Minnesota looks to roast. 

Unfortunately the peak of the heat wave in this area is focused around my weekend in northern Michigan.

What starts west, always moves east. It will be in our area in Middle October. 

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Lol I'd say it's too soon to call a pattern shift. It's only been above normal for less than 2 weeks lol. I am not thinking a mild winter this year, but I'll save thoughts for the winter thread.

I suppose it would be better to get this warm weather out of the way now, versus in Dec / Jan / Feb.

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Lol. 17" storm didn't do it for you a few yrs ago hehe? But if you are leaving, here comes a 2 footer centered over downtown. 

Jokes aside congrats on the move but I do not envy you. Snowless winters and torrid summers. My nightmare. You will have to stay in touch. Im sure you won't miss the gray but I bet you will miss snow a little bit. You will do fine in the heat though. It will be interesting to see if Atlanta gets a 1 inch snow this winter. We will get a first-hand account of the chaos that ensues :lol:

Thanks!

You know, Summers down south aren't too different from our Summers. They just don't see the pushes of drier air like we do. Being on the edge of Dixie Alley, they do see a fair amount of severe weather in April / May as well.

And yeah, I won't lie, I will miss the snow a little. But the trade off, as you say, will be Sunny winters, seeing leaves on the trees in November / December / March, and even occasional short weather in the dead of winter. 

As far as the bolded, I have the ability to work from home when needed. So I won't be a part of that mess. :lol:

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, IWXwx said:

That would be sweet if it comes to fruition. I root for 70's anytime in October. After the first week of November, flip the switch to winter. (Can you tell that autumn is my least favorite season?)

I'm with you on this thinking, 60s and 70s throughout autumn, until early to mid November anyways, then it can flip to winter, very much like what we saw in 2007-08 (just a tad later than what I mentioned in that case though).  Cold rain and wind systems can stay away any time of year, but especially fall.

Ugh. Not looking forward to sweltering during what should be my leaf peeping vacation next week. They'll all just turn straight to brown and fall off, anyway. Hate falls like that.

On the bright side, any thoughts on the upcoming temperature anomalies/500 hPa pattern possibly bringing a fall severe weather season to parts of the Midwest/Plains?

On 9/26/2017 at 6:15 AM, michsnowfreak said:

With low sea ice and lack of a good cold air source I think our chances of seeing a milder than normal winter are greater. At the same time, a cold December wouldn't surprise me because of the developing nina. Doubt Chicago will go into that freak snow drought again though. 

I'd def call this a pattern shift though as this October could go down as being one of the warmest on record. 

15 hours ago, rainsucks said:

With low sea ice and lack of a good cold air source I think our chances of seeing a milder than normal winter are greater. At the same time, a cold December wouldn't surprise me because of the developing nina. Doubt Chicago will go into that freak snow drought again though. 

I'd def call this a pattern shift though as this October could go down as being one of the warmest on record. 

Sea ice being low leads to more troughs.... Our cold air forms over land anyhow.

18 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Crazy to think Buffalos average first flake is Oct 24th when temperatures are near 90 right now. 

AVERAGE First Flake Oct 24
First Measurable (.1" or more) Nov 8
First Inch Nov 18

I believe the range of temps from Oct 1st through Oct 31 is the biggest drop of the year.

9 hours ago, Jonger said:

I believe the range of temps from Oct 1st through Oct 31 is the biggest drop of the year.

Can't speak for Buffalo but at Detroit it's November. In October we lose 12° off avg high from 1st to 31st, in November we lose 14° from 1st to 30th. So from Oct 1st to Nov 30th we lose 26° off our average high temp. 

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

Now it's back to a weekend cool down. (on both the GFS and Euro)

I'm going to wait 3 more days before figuring out whether to be angry or not.

LOL

Sounds good.

If nothing else, looks like a gradual turn toward a more active pattern for more areas.

Archived