Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2017 Discussion

Jonger

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

63 and sunny at the moment.  Feels warmer than that with light winds and full sun.  Temps are in the lower 80s out in parts of western Iowa.  Winner South Dakota at 89 degrees.  Toasty.

That stuff has to get here at some point.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That stuff has to get here at some point.

No doubt.  Will be nice.

This time last week western Kansas was in the midst of an all-out blizzard.  Colby Kansas was in the heart of it, and at the moment they are sitting at 86 degrees with a fresh southerly breeze.  That's one hell of a change lol.

This is time sensitive, so hopefully you guys can check this out before too long.  This is extraordinary satellite imagery this afternoon over Illinois/far eastern Iowa.  Check out the contrails moving southward over Illinois.  Also check out the mid-level cloud deck over east Iowa/western IL.  The level of detail from the new GOES-16 is simply amazing.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=ilinoh-02-96-1

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

This is time sensitive, so hopefully you guys can check this out before too long.  This is extraordinary satellite imagery this afternoon over Illinois/far eastern Iowa.  Check out the contrails moving southward over Illinois.  Also check out the mid-level cloud deck over east Iowa/western IL.  The level of detail from the new GOES-16 is simply amazing.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=ilinoh-02-96-1

This ended up being one of my favorite time lapses I've ever shot.  Check out how the waves of clouds in the sky remained nearly stationary as the individual clouds developed and then dissipated in the waves.  

Mid last week, the weekend was expected to see a cool down, with perhaps low 60s.  What we got was fantastic, upper 60s to low 70s both days.  Models are suggesting we have turned the corner.  Our latest 7+ day forecast has the temp not falling below 47 at night.  It's time for all the plants to leave the garage for good and get into the ground.  The local garden centers were very busy this weekend.

29 minutes ago, Jonger said:

27.9F on my PWS this morning.

Not bad for May 8. 

ORD dropped to 34, quite chilly but safely above the record of 29 set in 1983. 

Rhinelander hit 22, tying the record set in 1929.  They had dewpoints in the single digits yesterday afternoon.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Lol @ the HRRR forecasting lower 70 degree dews over central Iowa later today.  

Interesting, as usually it seems to pick up on instances of deeper mixing/lowering of dewpoints better than other models.  

2 hours ago, IthielZ said:

Thankfully missed out on a freeze here last night. Now if we can just make it through tonight I would like to think we're home free.

Most of SE MI had a freeze this morning. Widespread upper 20s to low 30s area-wide. DTW dropped to 33F, missing the record by 3F.

Took this pic on my car around 8am

18402675_10108307827404103_9118302562255

Mid 70s here today.  It was unclear if we would see any storms this evening as some models had it all missing northeast.  We certainly got it.  I picked up a half inch of rain, a bit of pea size hail, and some real nice streaking and loud boomers.  It's great to experience thunderstorms again.

6 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Mid 70s here today.  It was unclear if we would see any storms this evening as some models had it all missing northeast.  We certainly got it.  I picked up a half inch of rain, a bit of pea size hail, and some real nice streaking and loud boomers.  It's great to experience thunderstorms again.

Nice.  Went all around us, so only picked up 0.03".  

The end of the cool pattern seems to be in sight.  I'm talking for places outside of the western areas (which haven't had it as bad).  Should get into a more changeable regime with some above average days thrown in... perhaps biasing more on the warm side in the final 1/3 or so of the month.

Archived