Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem VII

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, weathafella said:

It's not at all surprising that we're socked in given the inversion which is under H7.

Appears to have worked out rather well ... the existential approach. 

No socked in, either, below as even tho light winds are now ENE in the interim brought in drier air -

29 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Models trying to go apr 97 up here later this week. 

That phase was in the GFS originally happening back SW in the OV/E. Lakes about ...4 or so days ago, but was lost, now returned but up your way.

I'm curious though - I don't recall 1997 being a 'phase' deal per se.  I thought that was just a trough that closed and maxed out like... with miraculously perfect timing. 

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That phase was in the GFS originally happening back SW in the OV/E. Lakes about ...4 or so days ago, but was lost, now returned but up your way.

I'm curious though - I don't recall 1997 being a 'phase' deal per se.  I thought that was just a trough that closed and maxed out like... with miraculously perfect timing. 

This really isnt much of a phase overall.  Id call it more of anticyclonic wave break. Lighter spring flow with that geostrophically unstable ridge north of the lakes and a deep 500mb trough carving out to the east south of ns/nl.  Big closed central atlantic low is providing some blocking.  

58 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Appears to have worked out rather well ... the existential approach. 

No socked in, either, below as even tho light winds are now ENE in the interim brought in drier air -

Yeah once that mixed it cleared as the euro intimated from 2 nights ago.

17 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah once that mixed it cleared as the euro intimated from 2 nights ago.

Trend to less the significance of cold Thursday - let's hope it's right about that trend.. heh.

Folks, for any 1 in 100 spring enthusiast among us hiding from the seasonal inquisition ... my Forsythia stems are greening and the buds are swelling - hey, it's a start. Despite the cold March that's still happening.  interesting.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Trend to less the significance of cold Thursday - let's hope it's right about that trend.. heh.

Folks, for any 1 in 100 spring enthusiast among us hiding from the seasonal inquisition ... my Forsythia stems are greening and the buds are swelling - hey, it's a start. Despite the cold March that's still happening.  interesting.

Today's actually not a bad day if you stay wind protected in the sun ☀️ in the similar to Labor Day sun angle.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

You hush....that's sacred ground right there.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Since this time of year literally depresses me...I was just looking at my old pics from that storm. :(

Definitely sacred ground... I was doing the same... unfortunately my meteorological experience was extremely limited back then and it was before everything was captured digitally

You or someone should start a thread for the approaching 20th anniversary... any archived model runs, AFDs, charts, radar images,  video, photos...

7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Definitely sacred ground... I was doing the same... unfortunately my meteorological experience was extremely limited back then and it was before everything was captured digitally

You or someone should start a thread for the approaching 20th anniversary... any archived model runs, AFDs, charts, radar images,  video, photos...

Mike Ekster or Arnold214 as he's known now, posted a GIF of the radar loop. I have it saved somewhere. I think it may have been in Ray's thread from 2015? Either myself or someone else will start a thread on the 20th anniversary. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It's always lean colder until ski trip ends. Then its lean warmer after. No biggie 

Um maybe you should reread the April snowstorm thread from last year. You are wrong as usual. Besides that ain't done skiing but am done shoveling and so are you. 

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Oh it's still possible, Had 2" Friday we let that melt, 2-4" possibly tonight into Monday we will let that one go too, Something 6" or more we would probably have to clear though.

I didn't clear after the last one, though my home in Waterboro is merely part-time.  Still about 4" of concrete on the driveway.  It'll go soon enough

*Edit to clarify - did not clear after the last blizzard.  Just a path.  Too fooking lazy and old

Archived