Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 70"+ Base Amounts are Fake News

TheSnowman

9 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

I judged by a Whole bunch of things, including getting out of the car and digging in untouched areas.  

Yes that Stowe, VT set of pictures is what I'm talking about.  That would have been impressive.  But 70" on the ground on every square inch of ground average should be Utterly Mind Blowing and Obvious.  This was not even Close to that.  It was just Incredibly Impressive, as the Boston area 2 years ago was.  

I mean this was Portland after their largest snow storm ever.

557595_10100892386532035_899628630_n.jpg

Less than 24 hours later this was down to the bare pavement. Around these parts road crews just have the means to deal with the snow better. 

Really the closest thing I've seen to outrageous snow banks well after any big snow event is the winter of 2007-2008. The off ramps off 89 felt more like tunnels and you had to edge out into traffic to see around the snow. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TheSnowman said:

At least a ton of Hilarious comments came out of this hahaha!  Skeleton with an accordion, filled with bullets from mistaken hunters, looking at an iphone for a signal that wouldn't come.  

I'm just shocked people think I was looking at Only the snow banks to measure snow.  I got out, I did the ridiculousness of digging with my hand until I hit the ground, but also I have as Good as an eye as Anyone from just analyzing how the snow is sitting on Every surface, wall, fence, car, pole, etc...... on every sight I saw for hours.  There was absolutely, Positively, NO 60"-79" on the ground.  I saw so many fences near Andover as well, which were at most, what, 5 feet high?  6 feet high?  Out in the middle of large untouched farms...and the snow was NO WHERE Near the top.  

I did Almost take a trip up to Mammouth Mnt. in CA during the LA trip which had received 16 Feet of snow in 10 days.  But never got to go.  But even that, as the website has it's own webcams you can move on your own, didn't look like even 6 feet fell, especially in the city where you could clearly see things.  

you really should head to Tahoe, yesterday

C5L3c_8WIAIBOSg.jpg

6 hours ago, TheSnowman said:

At least a ton of Hilarious comments came out of this hahaha!  Skeleton with an accordion, filled with bullets from mistaken hunters, looking at an iphone for a signal that wouldn't come.  

I'm just shocked people think I was looking at Only the snow banks to measure snow.  I got out, I did the ridiculousness of digging with my hand until I hit the ground, but also I have as Good as an eye as Anyone from just analyzing how the snow is sitting on Every surface, wall, fence, car, pole, etc...... on every sight I saw for hours.  There was absolutely, Positively, NO 60"-79" on the ground.  I saw so many fences near Andover as well, which were at most, what, 5 feet high?  6 feet high?  Out in the middle of large untouched farms...and the snow was NO WHERE Near the top.  

I did Almost take a trip up to Mammouth Mnt. in CA during the LA trip which had received 16 Feet of snow in 10 days.  But never got to go.  But even that, as the website has it's own webcams you can move on your own, didn't look like even 6 feet fell, especially in the city where you could clearly see things.  

Takes mega-weenie-snow-hunt-trip with intentions of digging and forgets shovel, and depends on eye-sight estimation. No tape measure, ruler or measuring stick?

:facepalm:

You don't need  A measuring stick after 3 feet Cold Miser.  I should be able  to dig to the point where when I stand up the snow is around and over my head.  When Blue Hill reported its record Snow Depth of 46" or so, I went up there, went into 2 untouched areas, dug, and lo and behold when I got to the ground and stood there, it went up to my chest both times.  Confirmed.  100%.  Also everything Looked like 46" was on OTG.  When I went to Vermont after the double snowstorms that dropped 50 inches total some years back, I dug, and it went to my head, and it LOOKED like there was 60" or so OTG, and yes also the Snow Piles were OFF The Charts.  That's the most impressive day of snow I've ever seen, and That was a week after it started melting!  

FYI That video doesn't show enough evidence for me.  79" means EVERY SQUARE INCH of untouched land has 12" HIGHER THAN THE TOP OF MY HEAD on the Ground.  Also means I should Never see a fence in fields.  

I went to the right town trust me.  And I'll likely never go again.  I like out in the boonies, but that was out in the Mars boonies.  Wilmington, VT is my kind of Boonies.  There is actually civilization and some semblance of a town.  Lol I've never said "my kind of boonies" haha!  

39 minutes ago, TheBudMan said:

This might be the best thread evahhhhhhh     Just picturing the look on Ginxy's face when he saw the first post is total awesomeness...and it got even better.  

I was actually laughing, picturing a dude driving flipping out because had no cell service. Andover isn't really hard to get to. Perhaps we need pics with his story. His comment about California through web cams not looking like 6 feet was pretty funny too. I mean does the guy even look at pictures? all those fake news reports out of Mammoth, Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley should be investigated ASAP. By the way that news channel report totally shows how his saying he had more snow in 15 is BS.  Definitely saw more around our area in mid-February 2 years ago.    I bet his top depth in 15 didn't exceed 36 inches.

You don't need  A measuring stick after 3 feet

But it certainly helps when the snow gets really deep.  When I measured the 80" pack in March, 1984 in the northern tip of Maine, I had zero interest in digging a hole that deep

FYI That video doesn't show enough evidence for me.  79" means EVERY SQUARE INCH of untouched land has 12" HIGHER THAN THE TOP OF MY HEAD on the Ground.  Also means I should Never see a fence in fields.  

I'll consider the bolded as exaggeration for effect, as snow has this odd tendency to move around the landscape.  In the April 1982 blizzard, my stake at my (then) Fort Kent home actually lost an inch, despite getting 17" new at sub-20 temps. (and we were low-end:  CAR recorded 26.3".)

I went to the right town trust me.  And I'll likely never go again.  I like out in the boonies, but that was out in the Mars boonies.  Wilmington, VT is my kind of Boonies.  There is actually civilization and some semblance of a town.  Lol I've never said "my kind of boonies" haha!  

Not sure why you are working so hard to slam rural Maine.  Maybe it's because you're from a state with 1,000+ pop/mile while Maine has about 40?  I grew up in NJ, the only state with denser pop than RI, but managed to outgrow that bias.  Andover is a tiny village, but within 15 miles one finds Bethel, Rumford, and Sunday River.  For "out in [the] Mars boonies", try Route 11 north of Patten, where the sign says, "No services, next 39 miles."  And that's only at the eastern edge of Maine's truly "uncivilized" forest.

I love this thread haha. The 70"+ may or may not be fake news but the disparity between the Mid-Atlantic and the rest of the NE is all too real this winter. While the debate rages on whether folks were buried under 3.5 or 6 feet of snow, we have a snow starvation crisis south of the mason-dixon line worthy of needing the Red Cross and a commercial with a good Sarah McLachlan song. I wonder how "In the Arms of the Angel" sounds on accordion.

Joking aside I'm jealous of some of the awesome pics in here haha. 

52 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not sure why you are working so hard to slam rural Maine.  Maybe it's because you're from a state with 1,000+ pop/mile while Maine has about 40?  I grew up in NJ, the only state with denser pop than RI, but managed to outgrow that bias.  Andover is a tiny village, but within 15 miles one finds Bethel, Rumford, and Sunday River.  For "out in [the] Mars boonies", try Route 11 north of Patten, where the sign says, "No services, next 39 miles."  And that's only at the eastern edge of Maine's truly "uncivilized" forest.

I  mean cmon Andover? lol really needs to get out of his bubble once in a while

I'm now the one who's starting to laugh now lol.  People are getting Offended by how much snow I'm saying they have haha.  

And people keep keep questioning how much I had at my peak in 2014-2015.  It was 30" 1 time and then 31" another during that stretch.  I'm just talking about the 40"-45" depths around Boston, and the Blue Hill story I told.  

Here's the route I took btw, 95 then 26 and up.  I can say the Snow Steadily grew and grew and grew from 10" in Boston to 35" or so in South Paris, ME.  By South Paris, I felt like I was SURELY going to see the 60"-70" depths since it had consistently gone up from Boston.  

But it then nothing changed from South Paris to Andover.  It never looked more impressive in any aspect in anyway.  And I couldn't find more than 35" on the ground in my digging which confirmed it.  

image.jpeg

Just now, TheSnowman said:

I'm now the one who's starting to laugh now lol.  People are getting Offended by how much snow I'm saying they have haha. 

To insult a man and his snow totals, is to insult the man himself.  Such is fighting words.
:)

lol.

People are just having fun with this thread.  Been an odd winter, and I think people enjoy the comedy relief.

1 hour ago, TheSnowman said:

Here's the route I took btw, 95 then 26 and up.  I can say the Snow Steadily grew and grew and grew from 10" in Boston to 35" or so in South Paris, ME.  By South Paris, I felt like I was SURELY going to see the 60"-70" depths since it had consistently gone up from Boston.  

But it then nothing changed from South Paris to Andover.  It never looked more impressive in any aspect in anyway.  And I couldn't find more than 35" on the ground in my digging which confirmed it.  

image.jpeg

I'm curious about that map, though its small scale means one wouldn't have a chance to add much detail, so I won't draw any conclusions.  From Andover, did you return south via Rt 120 to Mexico?  The line on the map would seem to show that you went up the South Arm Road to the State's Richardson Lake tract and back down via Rt 17 (also to Mexico but a more scenic drive), and I wasn't sure that road was plowed all the way thru.  If it was the Rich/17 itinerary, you would see some far more remote country than on Rt 120, just a few camps, South Arm Campground (closed for winter) then nothing except for perhaps a logging job until the houses along Mooselook Lake in Rangeley country.  The overlook on Rt 17 at 2,400' would be the place to look for the most snow. 

Ok, I have to chime in as you are in my neighborhood.  I bet he drove up route 5 to the Andover general store, then took a left and heading up East B Hill to grafton notch, then back down 26 to Bear River trading post (closed...).   I believe the NOAA observer is straight through the general store intersection out Wyman Hill Road.  I have a house above Howard Pond in Hanover (Elev. 1175) and my pack is a solid 60".  Definitely not surprised if Andover Observation is accurate.  I am up at Howard Pond every weekend summer and winter.  Super CAD and retention spot...

Okay,  I'll chime in on this thread.  It's very hard to have 70" on the ground.  When you start getting these crazy amounts the sheer weight of the pack keeps compressing it.  I watched Alex's snowstake on his cam up in Bretton Woods pretty carefully this winter.  It would snow and snow and snow and the stake would barely rise.  Yet on his deck he would clear and a few hours later a few inches would accumulate.

All that being said we had an incredible snow winter up here in 2007-8.  I don't keep great records but I think we ended up around 150".  The snowpack was crazy.  I remember it was waist deep, so what is that around 45-50"?   I don' have many pictures but this is what that amount of snow looked like.  Of course roof raking caused massive piles but you can get an idea of my road.  Our kitchen windows were almost covered.  Just looking at the few Maine pictures I see posted my pack looked more impressive.  I don't know if this was at the peak of our snowcover or not.  Don't judge the snowcover by what was on our roof because it had been totally cleared a could of times.  Both with professional guys and then my roof rake.  It also Just for comparisons here are my pics.

Barnbackresize.jpg

east.jpg

front path.jpg

IMG_0632.JPG

I will say I do think that inch per inch, snowpack is more impressive in urban and suburban areas than rural areas if you are looking for "wow" factor...just because you are seeing snow in an environment you can relate to and places to put the snow are diminished.  In rural areas you can just push it further into the fields or woods or wherever.  In urban and even suburban areas you are forced to put the snow all in the same places. 

I know that two feet of snow looks more impressive in Albany, NY near where I grew up than it does here in Stowe...not because of climo but because of the density of population and what that does to snow.  A field covered in snow can look the same at 12" as it does at 24" and 30".  Like I've seen 42" in Stowe in March 2011 but I still think what I saw in January 2003 in ALB suburbs after 50" in 10 days but only a depth of 32" or so was more impressive than 10" more in Stowe.  Just because of the mix of snow and more residential/suburban areas rather than rural landscape.

In cities it has to be even more pronounced...especially if you have wind taking snow off all the roof-tops in city blocks and dropping it into yards/streets, etc.  Plowing and shoveling will look so much more impressive with limited areas to put the snow.  I do think there's a difference in the "deep snow appeal" between rural and more urban areas.

22 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Okay,  I'll chime in on this thread.  It's very hard to have 70" on the ground.  When you start getting these crazy amounts the sheer weight of the pack keeps compressing it.  I watched Alex's snowstake on his cam up in Bretton Woods pretty carefully this winter.  It would snow and snow and snow and the stake would barely rise.  Yet on his deck he would clear and a few hours later a few inches would accumulate.

All that being said we had an incredible snow winter up here in 2007-8.  I don't keep great records but I think we ended up around 150".  The snowpack was crazy.  I remember it was waist deep, so what is that around 45-50"? 

You are one tall individual!  ;).

Nice pics Gene.

37 minutes ago, jckeane said:

Ok, I have to chime in as you are in my neighborhood.  I bet he drove up route 5 to the Andover general store, then took a left and heading up East B Hill to grafton notch, then back down 26 to Bear River trading post (closed...).   I believe the NOAA observer is straight through the general store intersection out Wyman Hill Road.  I have a house above Howard Pond in Hanover (Elev. 1175) and my pack is a solid 60".  Definitely not surprised if Andover Observation is accurate.  I am up at Howard Pond every weekend summer and winter.  Super CAD and retention spot...

welcome aboard

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not buying the weight of snow collapsing it that much, hell I saw drifts hundreds of yards long in 2015 ten to fifteen feet high. Sh it Hermit Lake at the base of Mt Washington had a 94 inch base. Bases at Mammoth summit are over 200 inches. 

The Sierras are definitely unique because of how much water is in the pack. They just don't compress as much when you start putting water in it like that. I've seen depths over 18 feet there quite easily. Next closest is probably like 10-12 feet Colorado...then a little less than that in New England mountains. Though I haven't yet been to tuckermans which could probably rival some of the higher amounts. Though they do "cheat" a little since it collects snow and isn't a straight dump of snow like the Sierras or Cascades.  

Anyways, I can def believe over 5 feet of pack up around SR. Having experienced pack near that anyway and given what has transpired recently, there's def spots that have at least that much. 

Archived