• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 70"+ Base Amounts are Fake News

TheSnowman

Because I had seen so many news reports about the 79" Snow Depth in Andover, ME, And  many other snow depth reports of 60"+, I decided to create a trip to see something that would stun me; a 5'-6' base.  Maybe I'd see 15' to 20' snow banks on the side of the road.  What do you do with 70"+ compacted of Snow!?  

Well...... it was ALL BS.  I  had one of the worst drives of my entire life into deep Maine, where there is no service to the point that you're navigation doesn't even know where your bubble is, there are no roads intersecting so you have no idea where you are even if you're smart, and there are hardly any people, hardly any houses, hardly any gas stations, hardly any ANYthing.  All to see what I would say was.....  

35" - 40" at MOST on the ground.  Definitely saw more around our area in mid-February 2 years ago.  I may NEVER Again do a Weenie Drive for depth.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went straight up from Portland / 95.  And I went Saturday earlier.  There was likely no melting Friday.  About an hour south of Andover the Base seemed to be about 35", so I thought WOO I'm going to see 70"!  And the piles and base just never grew.  The highest Banks of pushed snow along the side of the road were only about 5.5 Feet.  I thought I was going to see 6 Feet Everywhere and piles of automatically 10 feet and up.  

44 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

I went straight up from Portland / 95.  And I went Saturday earlier.  There was likely no melting Friday.  About an hour south of Andover the Base seemed to be about 35", so I thought WOO I'm going to see 70"!  And the piles and base just never grew.  The highest Banks of pushed snow along the side of the road were only about 5.5 Feet.  I thought I was going to see 6 Feet Everywhere and piles of automatically 10 feet and up.  

Maybe yes, maybe no. The sun can still melt at temps below 32. 

But it's not all about melting. Actually the biggest factor in initial snow depth changes is from changes in crystal structure (allowing compaction). Even a dry and cold air mass can change the crystals enough to allow them to settle. 

Digging into Andover specifically, she's at about 900 feet elevation tucked into the east slopes of the Mahoosucs. Her exposure is NE. I've never seen it, but looking at the map she has a real weenie spot.

It might be a protected location and with depths like that, I'm thinking that they are using a snow stake as opposed to averaging individual measurements.  I know that I'll often still have snow on the ground several weeks after most of the town has had bare ground and there are places that I know of that have snow even longer.  The 70+ values were probably valid for that yard but most places might have had lower values.

The other problem is that banks on the side of the road don't always tell the whole picture because they get pushed back.  I remember during my April 2008 trip to Quebec that where they used those giant snowblowers you could see the full height of snow on the ground but along the highway between cities, the banks didn't look as impressive.  They were impressive, but not as high as you would think.

It really wasn't until we got into town and started looking down driveways or places where houses were next to each other that you could really see how deep the snow was.  I would expect that the town centers had to look impressive but you don't know what it looks like without snow.  Not having seen the town without snow kind of hurts because once the snow gets to a certain point, you can't really tell how deep it is.

13 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It might be a protected location and with depths like that, I'm thinking that they are using a snow stake as opposed to averaging individual measurements.  I know that I'll often still have snow on the ground several weeks after most of the town has had bare ground and there are places that I know of that have snow even longer.  The 70+ values were probably valid for that yard but most places might have had lower values.

The other problem is that banks on the side of the road don't always tell the whole picture because they get pushed back.  I remember during my April 2008 trip to Quebec that where they used those giant snowblowers you could see the full height of snow on the ground but along the highway between cities, the banks didn't look as impressive.  They were impressive, but not as high as you would think.

It really wasn't until we got into town and started looking down driveways or places where houses were next to each other that you could really see how deep the snow was.  I would expect that the town centers had to look impressive but you don't know what it looks like without snow.  Not having seen the town without snow kind of hurts because once the snow gets to a certain point, you can't really tell how deep it is.

Yeah, our coops all have snow stakes. They could resort to an across their yard average if they had reason to believe their snow stake measurement was somehow inaccurate, but we don't require that kind of effort on a daily basis.

And as early as Friday they were already cutting down the banks and removing snow in front end loaders around here so that there weren't accidents from people pulling out blindly into traffic.

So sorry u were disappointed

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Also they claimed 146" right? Did any other places nearby have that much? Even Tamarack only has just over 100 I think. It's probably a good idea to spot check those numbers. 

Yeah. She's about 70 years old, so we take what we can get. The snowfall numbers are always whole or half inch amounts, so not perfect but also not wildly affecting seasonal totals.  She also doesn't just take a 10:1 like some observers occasionally do. Every storm has a different ratio, which is what you would expect to see. And the snow depth numbers aren't just a (what was on the ground yesterday + what fell today = new depth) equation which you can get sometime. So she is taking the compaction into account. My guess would be she's just reading what the stake says is on the ground.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Also they claimed 146" right? Did any other places nearby have that much? Even Tamarack only has just over 100 I think. It's probably a good idea to spot check those numbers, but my guess is they probably were checked.

Rangeley's average snowfall is more than 40% higher than that for Farmington, so Andover being 40%+ more than my place is no surprise.   The posts above on plowing technique are well said.  Maine's plow drivers (probably same for other high-snow areas in the Northeast) travel at speeds sufficient to toss snow well back from the pavement, as any driveway shoveler knows.  Then they're back the next day pushing/winging the banks back.  In our part of the world, plowing for the current storm must also include preparation for the next one.  If the disappointed one had chosen to climb over those banks into the fresh stuff behind, it might've been a surprise.

If he wanted to see 10' snowbanks, he should've come to my place.  We paid a payloader operator to clear out the end of the road so the letter carriers could access our mailbox, but those steep-sided piles are definitely not what the plow operators want to leave.  Another option would be Weeks Mills Road, which connects Route 2 in New Sharon with Route 43 in Farmington, passing over several hills.  One of those hills in in hayfields, and the drifting last Friday was epic, as are the piles made while clearing the windblown snow.

You expected 15 to 20ft banks on the side of the road in the boonies? Like tamarack said, the plows toss the snow way back and manipulate it in a way to prepare for the next one. Did you even get out of your car to walk into the woods and do an actual measurement? Did you seriously drive that far and only judge it by the snow banks?

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You expected 15 to 20ft banks on the side of the road in the boonies? Like tamarack said, the plows toss the snow way back and manipulate it in a way to prepare for the next one. Did you even get out of your car to walk into the woods and do an actual measurement? Did you seriously drive that far and only judge it by the snow banks?

Climbed on top, did a little :cory: and left.

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

this was my point as well. who uses snow banks to assess level snow depth otg?

Archived