• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Please post your observations, and other data for the Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017 here - Thanks!

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Max depth is concidered your snow total.... so no wiping... unless there's a changeover... whatever the highest total you reach on your snowboard for that 24hr duration is your total.... I know.. stupid

When did they change the rules? Because I know this wasn't done for the big blizzard last year, where JFK had 30.6" but 28" max snow depth.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

When did they change the rules? Because I know this wasn't done for the big blizzard last year, where JFK had 30.6" but 28" max snow depth.

If they wiped... at all...in the 24hr period, and there was no changeover, just plain snow, then it was done improperly, also your not suppose to record more than 6 OBS in a 24 hour period 

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

If they wiped... at all...in the 24hr period, and there was no changeover, just plain snow, then it was done improperly, also your not suppose to record more than 6 OBS in a 24 hour period 

I believe Newark's total was later adjusted down due to their incorrect measuring

25 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Having the same issue here.  I've been stuck at 10" since I got home from work.  It's been smowing moderately most of the time since I got home.

Well, I'm up to about 11" now, but it took a few hours of snow at varying rates (some heavy) to add that last inch.  Light to moderate snow now enough to cover the steet quickly when the plows go by, but will it get us to a foot?

For all the talk about ratios, I think they are going to be pretty crappy.  After a day or so it doesn't make much difference; the fluff catches up (down) to the denser stuff very quickly.

Anyway you slice it, it's a great storm.   This winter is supposed to suck, right?  I'm over 30" for the season so far.

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

12 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

What exactly are the new rules

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Observers in networks such as the NWS Cooperative Observer Program network are typically required to take measurements only once per day. The SMB should be cleared at the end of the 24-hour period in preparation for measuring snowfall during the next observing period.

Measure the maximum depth of snow that has accumulated on your snow measurement board (or other approved surface) since the previous snowfall observation. This measurement should reflect the greatest accumulation of new snow observed (in inches and tenths, for example, 3.9 inches) within the past 24 hours even if this total occurs at a time preceding the regularly scheduled observation time. 

Observers in networks such as the NWS Cooperative Observer Program network are typically required to take measurements only once per day. The SMB should be cleared at the end of the 24-hour period in preparation for measuring snowfall during the next observing period.

Measure the maximum depth of snow that has accumulated on your snow measurement board (or other approved surface) since the previous snowfall observation. This measurement should reflect the greatest accumulation of new snow observed (in inches and tenths, for example, 3.9 inches) within the past 24 hours even if this total occurs at a time preceding the regularly scheduled observation time. 

Thanks brother

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I wish we had a nice scientific way of measuring it, even their "rules" seem pretty subjective.  

There really isn't a way to do it that would make everyone happy though.

Imo, an inch is an inch.... if an inch falls... and you wipe your board, and another inch falls... That's 2 "actual" inches... no risk of melt or compression...don't see how wiping "inflates" totals to the point that they did away with it... if anything were screwing ourselves now out of fallin snow being recorded and lost to melt/compression/wind especially like the sleet storm a few weeks ago... flawed system.. oh well

Archived