Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I really don't understand jackpot fetishes, obviously it's nice to get the most snow and no one would complain but if you area is forecasted to get 6 to 12 and you get 10 and another town gets 12, how can you be upset over that? As long as I end up in the range that I was forecasted to get, I'm happy. So basically anywhere between 6 and 12 and ill be happy with this storm, without a doubt.

Mic Drop!! lol

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I really don't understand jackpot fetishes, obviously it's nice to get the most snow and no one would complain but if you area is forecasted to get 6 to 12 and you get 10 and another town gets 12, how can you be upset over that? As long as I end up in the range that I was forecasted to get, I'm happy. So basically anywhere between 6 and 12 and ill be happy with this storm, without a doubt.

I don't know if it's jackpot fetishes, or "don't get screwed" fetishes.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

LOL.  Cape Ann/ Cape Cod getting no snow, what load of **** this graphic is.

There is something funky with the perimeters from land to ocean like its super low resolution or something. As if the coastline was drawn freehand with a crayon and no snow falls outside that line. I would rather have the maps show snow over the ocean like ECMWF and GGEM do, at least people are smart enough to know snow doesn't accumulate over the ocean. And im not blaming weatherbell because it seems a lot of the other sites are like this as well, like Tropical Tidbits

for me, as a big weenie, wanting to max out a storms potential overhead and getting to experience the full wrath is the ultimate reason of jackpit fetish. Its never "oh I got 10 he got 12". For example, Jan 15 i got 6" and didnt get to experience the joys of doing back flips off my roof while a crush band rots my brains out like those out east. I was surely happy for those that did get to experience that however. No matter what, we are all here cuz we love this **** so yea, everyone wants to get that divine gift we ask for. We just fight over it sometimes like toddlers at the toy store. 

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

LOL.  Cape Ann/ Cape Cod getting no snow, what load of **** this graphic is.

Definitely not saying we get no snow but taint factor can be off the scale sometimes out here. What's your guess for ACK? Cape Anne gets way more than us, me thinks.

10 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I don't know if it's jackpot fetishes, or "don't get screwed" fetishes.

There's folks who view not getting the jackpot as being "screwed". Which of course, there's nothing anyone can do about it...they feel how they feel, even if it's fairly irrational.

But for this storm, I don't think there will be a lot of nasty sub-zones. Any of them that form should be fairly transient and I think everyone will get some good rates for a few hours.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's folks who view not getting the jackpot as being "screwed". Which of course, there's nothing anyone can do about it...they feel how they feel, even if it's fairly irrational.

But for this storm, I don't think there will be a lot of nasty sub-zones. Any of them that form should be fairly transient and I think everyone will get some good rates for a few hours.

The screw zone, if any, will be to the NW of the good banding's NW extent.

Will probably be MPM. Or maybe codfish. Definitely eyewall.

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You'd think after mostly nickels all winter, there wouldn't be so much angst over 9" vs 14"....everyone should enjoy this one as it should be pretty widespread. The only people who should be complaining are up in dendrite-land where they rightfully can worry about being fringed...or the non-Stowe VT posters who can't buy a break this winter while being forced to look at 3-foot depths posted by powderfreak just miles away.

Dendrite almost had a mini-melt last night in the NNE thread...as much as is possible for him.  

Champlain Valley and Eastern NY can b*tch for years even if it starts snowing, they've earned it.

7 minutes ago, ackwaves said:

Definitely not saying we get no snow but taint factor can be off the scale sometimes out here. What's your guess for ACK? Cape Anne gets way more than us, me thinks.

Hey Blair, ACK will definitely rain for a while but even there I would not be shocked if you saw upwards of 6".

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There is only 1 true Jack here. Here's to ya Ray, hope you Jack with that 20 Lolli 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That is the true answer.  Someone in NE Mass might feel they got screwed with 9" if the South Coast gets 14"....but really it's just not the jackpot.

Screwed is when you get 4" and all the towns around you have 10".

Yeah 

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

?  to you, as I was out working when it came in, why is everyone saying the GGEM is way East? Man after reading the comments I thought it was a disaster not this

snku_acc.us_ne.png

Yeah it's east of the rest of the guidance but i dont see anything wrong with it. It's actually an improvement over the 00Z run comparing it unto itself. And even doing that its not bad at all.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Hey Blair, ACK will definitely rain for a while but even there I would not be shocked if you saw upwards of 6".

Thanks. Yup. Mostly a good thumping on the backside of the storm. Might verify blizzard if ratios go up fast enough before precip finishes

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

?  to you, as I was out working when it came in, why is everyone saying the GGEM is way East? Man after reading the comments I thought it was a disaster not this

snku_acc.us_ne.png

I thought it was much improved. It's just still a tad east of consensus.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

snku_acc.us_ne.png

That looks incredibly over-done up north.

GGEM doesn't even give us any precip, how does St Johnsbury get 4.9"?

Archived