Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Alright, here is my first and only pre-start best guess with both ranges and spot forecast amounts. I see most locals staying under 12" with the best chance for lolli's to say 15" being in N NY due to better temp profiles and particularly across the Tug Hill and the south and east facing slopes of the Dacks due to terrain induced enhancement (see purple highlight).

February 12-13 Winter Storm.png

So far so good it seems as there hasn't been any noticeable failure in the modeling thus far I don't think. Still think 6-12" is the overall jackpot range across the board, with some lolli's to 15 from the Tug Hill area and across the southern and eastern slopes of the Dacks. For the I-81 corridor areas in C NY, I think the break down will be roughly 50/50 with a 3-6" front end thump of wet concrete and then another 3-6" of wrap-around enhanced powder on the back-end.

6 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

So far so good it seems as there hasn't been any noticeable failure in the modeling thus far I don't think. Still think 6-12" is the overall jackpot range across the board, with some lolli's to 15 from the Tug Hill area and across the southern and eastern slopes of the Dacks. For the I-81 corridor areas in C NY, I think the break down will be nearly 50/50 between front end thump of higher qpf but with lower ratios and back-end wrap around enhancement with lighter qpf but higher ratios. 

Solid map.  I also haven't seen anything going "bigly" wrong thus far.  If we can scrape out 4-5" on front end we should get to about my 9" target for this storm. 

Still waging a SN v PL battle here.  Currently back to more SN than PL but we've had brief periods of roughly 50/50 or worse.

There's a break in the precip just to our West, but I think it fills in as it moves to the East.  Can't see any semblance of a secondary yet and critical thicknesses are beginning to retreat to the S&E it looks like!  Back to more snow vs ip but its back and forth!  This should make the snowmobilers happy as this should place a nice base for them to ride on until the next torch to erase it, lol!

18 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Solid map.  I also haven't seen anything going "bigly" wrong thus far.  If we can scrape out 4-5" on front end we should get to about my 9" target for this storm. 

Still waging a SN v PL battle here.  Currently back to more SN than PL but we've had brief periods of roughly 50/50 or worse.

Thanks. Yeah drilling down within the 6-12" range, I went with 8.0 at Hancock airport and slightly higher to the north and east with 9.5 at Fulton and 10.0 at Rome. We are hitting a lull here in BGM with about 4" of wet concrete so far. Banking on the deformation wrap-around to get us to 6.0 down here. Models had BGM right on the southern tip of the solid deformation wrap-around so will see if that pans out or if we just end up with flurries.

4 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Thanks. Yeah drilling down within the 6-12" range, I went with 8.0 at Hancock airport with slightly higher to the north and east with 9.5 at Fulton and 10.0 at Rome. We are hitting a lull here in BGM with about 4" of wet concrete so far. Banking on the deformation wrap-around to get us to 6.0 down here. Models had BGM right on the southern tip of the solid deformation wrap-around so will see if that pans out or if we just end up with flurries.

4", not bad.  I was down your way yday visiting family in JC and part way up the hill off Airport Rd.  It was mid 30s last night when I left there.  I'd think Maine and no. Broome cty should end up ok as long as the def zone doesn't disappoint.

Back to almost all snow...the Taint appears to be losing the war here.

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

4", not bad.  I was down your way yday visiting family in JC and part way up the hill off Airport Rd.  It was mid 30s last night when I left there.  I'd think Maine and no. Broome cty should end up ok as long as the def zone doesn't disappoint.

Back to almost all snow...the Taint appears to be losing the war here.

Yeah southern Broome near and south of the S Tier Expressway appears to have mostly mixed all morning with only an inch or 2 based on comments I've seen on the internet. The warning for Broome was sort of questionable given that only the rural northern part of the County reach the 7" mark. The most highly populated part of the County in the triple cities area will likely fall well short with 3-4" I'm guessing.

6 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I gotta say, people sure do annoy me when they get the snow blower out for two inches of snow?? It befuddles me!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am starting mine up soon.  Just to annoy you. ;)

Very solid snow now, no taint, dendrite size a bit smaller but rate has significantly improved.

This storm will put BGM over the 83" annual average by an inch or 2. Anything we get the rest of the way will be a bonus I guess, though doesn't really feel like an above normal year given we haven't had a consistent snow pack for more than a week or 2 at a time it seems and we also got about 35% of our total in a 3-day event back in November. Sure beats the all-time low of 32" last year, however.

Just now, rochesterdave said:

I'm a little confused as to why they are holding a warning for Wayne. It's all rain there. And if they're expecting les to make up for it tonight, why do they have 1 or 2" for Monroe lake shore. Just seems bullheaded to hold WSW for Wayne.

congrats on the big stuff Syracuse and NNE! Looks great. 

Moderate snow in NW Wayne.

5 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Snow is still moderate in Brewerton. 

Light to moderate here...no PL attm...dendrite size very small as precip rate has lightened.  I checked to see if we were back to taint but doesn't appear so.  Interesting event as dendrite composition and ptype has been all over the place.  Mercifully, we are not getting shafted like ROC, just unfortunate out there.  Hopefully tonight they make up some.

Archived