Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing nicely now without any taint at all.  All snow aggregates now and it slowly getting steadier and heavier as we start the wrap sround

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Flipped to snow here about an hour ago.  Up to 6.5 inches (of mud), maybe 0.25" of snow. Back edge fast approaching, we'll see if any wraparound makes it this far west as storm deepens later.  

i hope it does for you guys as well!

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The greatest model run I've seen. ^_^

gfs_T850_us_49.png

Tulips start popping next weekend into early the following week after a few days in the 60's, only to be crushed by feet of snow as the PV gets trapped in the NE?  We can only hope...some crazy blocking/storm signatures showing up in la la land of long range today though...

The back edge of the precip shield is currently entering WNY and looks to continue its trek East but I'm sure she fills in before it gets here.  Snowing heavily now with parachutes dropping from the sky.  I mean you can look up and track these aggregates while trying to catch them, lol.  The critical thicknesses are definitely making their way back to our S&E, as everything goes over to a thumping snow and if this is what were in store for the next 12-18 hrs, then we're definitely going to hit 9" as advertised with a good chance to see even a bit more depending upon how heavy and steady the Lake enhancement develops into.

thck.gif?1486929756107

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Flipped to snow here about an hour ago.  Up to 6.5 inches (of mud), maybe 0.25" of snow. Back edge fast approaching, we'll see if any wraparound makes it this far west as storm deepens later.  

I have no idea where we're gonna get the 3-6" the NWS has us down for tonight. I think we'd be lucky to pass an inch tonight, but what do I know?

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I've got 3.75" on the deck.   We've definitely transitioned to a snowier look. We've probably lost maybe an inch of potential snow accumulation but can't b**ch...hopefully we match this total overnight.

I'm beginning to doubt that Bri, as I don't see that much Lake Enhancement developing as I'm thinking everything shifted about 50 miles to our N&E.  I know I can be wrong and probably am, but I just don't see it.

8 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I'm beginning to doubt that Bri, as I don't see that much Lake Enhancement developing as I'm thinking everything shifted about 50 miles to our N&E.  I know I can be wrong and probably am, but I just don't see it.

I think it's going per modeling thus far...we figured 4-5" during day esp with taint, 6" with no mixing...the "second half" of the storm will be lake enhanced wraparound...the primary has done its job now it's up to the coastal bomb to do its thing...and that's where the higher risk of a bust lies.

We have a lot of upper air energy moving over us tonight. As the H5 low closes off and we get rapid intensification of the surface low off the New England coast we should get moisture wrapping back over us enhanced by moisture off the lake. We won't get blockbuster snowfall rates but if we can get 6 inches between 0Z and 12Z that will bring me close to a foot. 

Nada in rochester a coating early this am. But fun begins around sunset as a still think south Shore gets 4 to 8 inches from Eastern niagra to Wayne County. Also think higher totals from Eastern monroe into Wayne County inland about 10 miles as winds will be pretty ferocious. May actually look impressive at times.

If you look back to the west radar's filled in west of Toronto and it shows signs of filling in over the west end of Lake Ontario.  There will probably be a lull for a while but look for the snow to pick up this evening. BTW, still moderate to heavy snow falling here. An inch and a half since I cleared the board at 1 which brings me to almost 5 inches for the storm. 

Just now, CNY_WX said:

If you look back to the west radar's filled in west of Toronto and it shows signs of filling in over the west end of Lake Ontario.  There will probably be a lull for a while but look for the snow to pick up this evening. BTW, still moderate to heavy snow falling here. An inch and a half since I cleared the board at 1 which brings me to almost 5 inches for the storm. 

Yeah your doing a bit better being further N&E of the City, so good for you CNY!

1 minute ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Yeah your doing a bit better being further N&E of the City, so good for you CNY!

Check out the 350 pm AFD from BGM...patience...

light steady SN here even with greatly dismissed radar reflectivity, which is hopeful.  I don't think I have 5" yet but probably at 4. I'm going to go operate my snowblower for a while as the plows have arrived and this is a heavier snow.  Don't do a snowblower rage drive by on me! ;)

Were at about 4" for the event as a whole so far, but I would love to be in Portland Maine right now, as after this system/event ends, they'll have close to 4 ft otg.  Incredible, and KBOS won't do near as good, but they'll have about 2ft otg when its all said and done!.  SNE is the new snow capital of the Northeast, so it seems, lol!

BTW, snow has ended here and now we wait for the second half of the event of it arrives as scheduled.  I guess the first batch of precip, did its job, dropping close to 5" area wide so we need another 4" approx, and we'll be at about 9" when its all said and dome!

14 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Check out the 350 pm AFD from BGM...patience...

light steady SN here even with greatly dismissed radar reflectivity, which is hopeful.  I don't think I have 5" yet but probably at 4. I'm going to go operate my snowblower for a while as the plows have arrived and this is a heavier snow.  Don't do a snowblower rage drive by on me! ;)

lol

8 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Still steady light snow here. Looks like snow has moved back into Buffalo and is about to move into Rochester. 

Under some 30+ Dbz returns and really not snowing all that impressive. Maybe snowing moderately but I'd just call it steady. Maybe 1/2" hr rates at best. Gonna need to snow for a while to get the forecasted 3-6".

1 hour ago, tim123 said:

Nada in rochester a coating early this am. But fun begins around sunset as a still think south Shore gets 4 to 8 inches from Eastern niagra to Wayne County. Also think higher totals from Eastern monroe into Wayne County inland about 10 miles as winds will be pretty ferocious. May actually look impressive at times.

Damn I hope you're right. I don't see much model support but you know the south shore!! I'd love 4"!!

8 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

For those of you dying to know...did a measurement at 4pm...4.3" snow, liquid of 0.53.  Put that in your ratio pipe and smoke it...8.1:1

I'm surprised the ratio is that low. Must be from the taint that mixed in during the day. Ratios should be much higher during the second half of the storm. 

Archived