Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only issue I see with the lake enhancement is with the 850's as the critical temp for LE is around -11C and we only eclipse that from 18Z Monday to 22Z, lol, so that's my concern as temps really aren't all to cold but maybe with sufficient moisture that's mitigated.  Then again this is on the warmest guidance which right now is the gfs I believe.  How was the Euro profile wise?

Kbuf on the lake enhancement 

Meanwhile east and southeast of the lakes...increasing amounts of lake enhancement will also come into play as our airmass remains moisture-rich while growing steadily colder. Coupled with a well-aligned strong westerly flow that will veer to west-northwesterly over time and the resultant orographic enhancement...this will also result in areas of enhanced snowfall east of Lake Erie and southeast of Lake Ontario...where nighttime accumulations in excess of a half foot is possible..

gfs_namer_144_precip_ptot.gif

this is the total precip for both synoptic systems Sunday and Mondays and Wednesday and Thursdays and it looks like across the board 1.5" liq eq which would translate to about 17-18" with ratios just above the 10" avg so this doesn't look that bad.  I don't know it the Euro or other guidance sees the other stacked closed ULL dropping out of Central Canada on Wednesday but the GFS sure does, lol.  That one is much more tamed, as far as precip goes, as most of that precip comes from the first system.

5 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Euro gets 850 mb temps near double digits below 0c by around 1am, and it progressively gets colder throughout the overnight..

18z gfs was colder. Upped precip ants for all of WNY. It did little for total snow but that's not what I'm watching with this marginal a setup. I wish I could find 700 temps. Anytime they stay below -4 is good. 

Just now, wolfie09 said:

Euro gets 850 mb temps near double digits below 0c by around 1am, and it progressively gets colder throughout the overnight..

Okay, so its definitely colder than the GF sS across the board.  I guess it resembles the NAM moreso as well as the RGEM so that's solid.  With winds cyclonically crossing the open 40F water of lake Ontario, things can get quite interesting quickly just as it did in November. This is quite similar but the duration is a fraction of what that monster was as it just sat and spun for days throwing lobes of H700 moisture our way. That system however had 0 synoptic moisture, well it did but it was of the rn-sn variety then it switched over to mostly when the column became isothermal.  I gotts check soundings as this is getting interesting.

5 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

It covers mostly everything, not sure how much true lake effect we actually see, NWS only has a couple inches for Monday morning then we dry out..

I'm talking about enhancement as it can really make a difference but can anyone, Dave , tell me if the 12Z EURO has mid weeks event if you have time to check for me

12 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I'm feeling oddly optimistic about this one. The roc may have rain for awhile but I'm confident that we will do well on the back end. Secondary low development will make or break us.   How are you Tim and Dave feeling?

I wanna know what Tim thinks. He's on a hot streak- nailed the last two. 

Im on the fence. The models not giving me much reason for hope. But it could still go either way!

It's gonna snow from 0" to 24" that's all i can say lol. I just have this strange odd feeling it's gonna be one of them storms we get hardly anything here in Southern Oswego County, yeah i know I'm not very optimistic but with the way this winter has gone it just fits with what has gone on haha. I haveven seen i don't know how many storm totals and every one of them is completely different. 

Okay, so its definitely colder than the GF sS across the board.  I guess it resembles the NAM moreso as well as the RGEM so that's solid.  With winds cyclonically crossing the open 40F water of lake Ontario, things can get quite interesting quickly just as it did in November. This is quite similar but the duration is a fraction of what that monster was as it just sat and spun for days throwing lobes of H700 moisture our way. That system however had 0 synoptic moisture, well it did but it was of the rn-sn variety then it switched over to mostly when the column became isothermal.  I gotts check soundings as this is getting interesting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived