joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WxNoob said:

Got under an inch in Lansing (0.8).  I work 20 miles away in Homer where they are pushing 18 inches right now(and still ripping)  Pretty wild.

You got under an inch there? That's crazy. Although your location is sort of the eastern extent of the snow hole area of upstate NY...sort of the finger lakes and central So. Tier, south of the thruway and No. of Rt 17 / I-86, other than maybe the hilly terrain. 

18 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

You got under an inch there? That's crazy. Although your location is sort of the eastern extent of the snow hole area of upstate NY...sort of the finger lakes and central So. Tier, south of the thruway and No. of Rt 17 / I-86, other than maybe the hilly terrain. 

Yeah i average something like 60 inches a year which is at least better than Elmira (where im from) which averages 30ish inches.

What causes that snow hole? Is it just the orientation of Great Lakes or do the Finger Lakes play a role as well?

7 minutes ago, WxNoob said:

Yeah i average something like 60 inches a year which is at least better than Elmira (where im from) which averages 30ish inches.

What causes that snow hole? Is it just the orientation of Great Lakes or do the Finger Lakes play a role as well?

Not entirely sure but I think it's a combination of factors. Not the best location for lake snows...particularly west of you towards Elmira.  They also seem to get down sloped and/or on western fringe of coastal storms.  Plus, WAA during marginal systems passing near or over CNY/WNY seems to have an easy time intruding from the Ohio valley.  I think it all adds up...maybe someone has additional insights...

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Models were a little too wet in this part of the county as the spotter out of Fulton reported 0.71" of precipitation, ratios ended up about 12-1..

I ended up with 0.96" LE all tolled...ratio in first half of storm was low, 8:1, with sleet and wetter nature of snow. Last night was 13:1.

Mostly scattered snow showers for the majority of the area..

kbuf

For most areas...the snow shower activity expected during the Tuesday
night-Thursday time frame should generally be light in nature...with
only minor nuisance-type accumulations of an inch or less expected
every 12 hours or so. The exceptions to this will be in areas east
and southeast of the lakes...where the combination of orographic and
lake enhancement could eventually lead to some advisory-worthy snows.
At this juncture it appears that the greatest potential for this will
lie in the Wednesday night-early Thursday period...when our airmass
will be coldest and most favorable for lake enhancement...and when
diurnal influences will be at a minimum.

Dave what does the Euro look like for the system, closed ULL dropping in from C CA or we could say jumping over the ridge out West.  Does it phase at all with any Southern energy as JB was thinking this was gonna be a bigger deal as we move closer to the event but it doesn't look this way this time around.  I only see 24hr increments.  Whatever you can provide would be great.

Archived