New York City-JFK: 0.73”
New York City-LGA: 0.67”
New York City-NYC: 0.95”
Newark: 1.09”
Poughkeepsie: 0.51”
Westhampton: 0.45”
White Plains: 0.53”

Up to 1.04" in the park as of 11:17 pm.

29.7 and 2.0 inches of sleet otg and counting.

I can look at this two ways. If this was all snow I'd probably have 8-10 inches already (my heart aches thinking about it) and if this was freezing rain I'd have power lines down all over the place and no electricity right now.

So is the glass half full or half empty?

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

29.7 and 2.0 inches of sleet otg and counting.

I can look at this two ways. If this was all snow I'd probably have 8-10 inches already (my heart aches thinking about it) and if this was freezing rain I'd have power lines down all over the place and no electricity right now.

So is the glass half full or half empty?

Was just thinking the same thing. Pushing 2" of sleet here as well. What a shame but on the bright side atleast it looks like winter out there

5 minutes ago, snywx said:

Was just thinking the same thing. Pushing 2" of sleet here as well. What a shame but on the bright side atleast it looks like winter out there

In order of precip choices.

1. Snow
2. Sleet
3. Rain
4. Freezing rain.

The whole event so far has been number 2 and it's all white outside. I can't complain except when I have to shovel this tomorrow.

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

In order of precip choices.

1. Snow
2. Sleet
3. Rain
4. Freezing rain.

The whole event so far has been number 2 and it's all white outside. I can't complain except when I have to shovel this tomorrow.

I agree with that order. Sleet isn't snow but its still frozen and when it accumulates like this you have to be impressed

35 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Just went and took a quick measurement before bed 2.3" of pure sleet... I can imagine with wind/compaction more has certainly fallen...... 2.3" of sleet in less than 6 hours is insane sleet rates 

Pretty much equal to about 1.5"/hour if we were talking snow. That's pretty solid.

Looks like you guys will give NYC's sleet totals from March 07 a  good run for its money. Had 6"-7" of nearly pure sleet from that one. Never seen anything like it.

1 minute ago, snywx said:

I agree with that order. Sleet isn't snow but its still frozen and when it accumulates like this you have to be impressed

I'd argue in a winter like this, Sleet is better. Has much better staying power than powdery snow which evaporates in the sun. Wife says pushing 3 in. on the back deck. I'm in Wassaic way up Rt. 22,NE of POU. 70/30 rn/Pl here. Maybe a third of an inch on the ground. 

32 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Just went and took a quick measurement before bed 2.3" of pure sleet... I can imagine with wind/compaction more has certainly fallen...... 2.3" of sleet in less than 6 hours is insane sleet rates 

It's sleet, not high ratio lake effect.  No compaction.  That being said, sleet bombs are cool for that very reason.  Would make a great base if only we could transition right back into real winter.  The 5" of sleet we had here on St Patrick's Day 2007 lasted longer than I have ever seen snow last at that time of year.  It also made a great cross country skiing surface.  It's like the groomed machine snow at a downhill area.  Only time I ever downhilled the woods behind my house.

Sleet bombs rock.  Enjoy it!

20070319BackyardSkiing 005s600.jpg

20070319BackyardSkiing 004s600.jpg

20070319BackyardSkiing 011cs800.jpg

Archived