Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

11 minutes ago, rdwhynot said:

Greetings to you all...   I'm new over here, but was active on Talkweather before it's unfortunate demise.    Hopefully here in Central Alabama we will see a little white stuff this weekend.    

Welcome to the board, Alabama looks to be in a good spot to see significant winter weather. Large area of sleet/zr below the snow. Cold, for once, doesn't seem to be the biggest issue as of this time. Subject to change of course, as with all storms 4 days out.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CMC is stronger w the first system.  It is not so much that the CMC is juicer here w the second system IMO. It is that we get 1-2" w the first system in E TN north of say Sweetater.  That is interesting.  Also, I would recommend being careful extrapolating snow amounts on LR models if you live near the mountains.  The models seem to buffer what would be a sharp gradient due to elevation.  Thus, it balloons amounts in the foothills.  I live in one of those areas in NE TN.  Our forecast totals are too high for almost every storm on LR models.  Now, short range models do much better.

15 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

Actually, you certainly are not alone there are a lot of people like us. Coming to you from Southwest Virginia! Technically still in the Tennessee Valley. I find this region a lot more relatable than the southeast sub-forum region. Just created an account though I have been through the forums for a while as a guest.

25 minutes ago, rdwhynot said:

Greetings to you all...   I'm new over here, but was active on Talkweather before it's unfortunate demise.    Hopefully here in Central Alabama we will see a little white stuff this weekend.    

Blunder, 1234snow is from Gate City and DanielBoone is from the KY/VA border maybe near Jonesville I think.  I am in Kingsport.  And yes, this forum does a decent job covering southwest VA.  Rdwhynot, glad to see our Alabama folks posting for this storm.  This is a great forum IMO.  Welcome to you both!

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The CMC is stronger w the first system.  It is not so much that the CMC is juicer here w the second system IMO. It is that we get 1-2" w the first system in E TN north of say Sweetater.  That is interesting.  Also, I would recommend being careful extrapolating snow amounts on LR models if you live near the mountains.  The models seem to buffer what would be a sharp gradient due to elevation.  Thus, it balloons amounts in the foothills.  I live in one of those areas in NE TN.  Our forecast totals are too for almost every storm on LR models.  Now, short range models do much better.

Does the UKIE have maps between 72 and 96 on the pay sites?  Curious, as it's location at 96 is more in line with a storm that tracks across Mobile and maybe South Georgia.

5 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Does the UKIE have maps between 72 and 96 on the pay sites?  Curious, as it's location at 96 is more in line with a storm that tracks across Mobile and maybe South Georgia.

That is my interpretation as well.  We will see if the Euro tracks near there.  Right now, trend for slp/wave placement are important.  I agree.  Will see if I can find a map.

• Mr Bob changed the title to 1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived