Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

56 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That high sliding across from the north continues to look like one of the strongest we have seen in recent years with models maxing out near 1050 mb.

Following that, the ensembles show a very rapid EPO reversal with warmth taking over most of North America. But the EPS show that raging Alaskan

vortex to only be a transient feature as you can see signs of the 11-15 moving toward the weeklies post January 25th. Very extreme 500 mb

wavelength fluctuations coming the rest of this month.

Can`t disagree with any of this . 

Lets see what / how much energy runs into that HP . We seem to be capitalizing inside these small periods . This weekend looks like there`s another chance before temps spike again . 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, tim said:

...westhampton (kfok)..5am.. +9*

..7am..-9*

winds went calm.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but can someone explain why KFOK can be be such a cold spot during winter? Seems that it is levels above others in the area for both cold and rapid cooling when the conditions are right.

Some of these lows in SE VA and NE NC are very impressive:

KRIC: 0

KPTB (Petersburg/Dinwiddie VA): -8F

KLKU (Louisa, VA): 3F

KPVG (Chesapeake): 9F

KSFQ (Suffolk, VA): 3F

KFKN (Franklin, VA): -2F

KEMV (Emporia, VA): -6F

KECG (Elizabeth City, NC): 11F

KPVG (Greenville, NC): 3F (this was actually late yesterday)

KIXA (Roanoke Rapids, NC): 5F

Can't find any stations below 0 in NC but still looking.

Just now, pazzo83 said:

Some of these lows in SE VA and NE NC are very impressive:

KRIC: 0

KPTB (Petersburg/Dinwiddie VA): -8F

KLKU (Louisa, VA): 3F

KPVG (Chesapeake): 9F

KSFQ (Suffolk, VA): 3F

KFKN (Franklin, VA): -2F

KEMV (Emporia, VA): -6F

KECG (Elizabeth City, NC): 11F

KPVG (Greenville, NC): 3F (this was actually late yesterday)

KIXA (Roanoke Rapids, NC): 5F

Can't find any stations below 0 in NC but still looking.

Richmond broke its daily record low temperature. The old record was 1°, which was set on 1/9/1940.

6 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Can`t disagree with any of this . 

Lets see what / how much energy runs into that HP . We seem to be capitalizing inside these small periods . This weekend looks like there`s another chance before temps spike again . 

Agree. The the great Pacific blocking pattern has powered us to above normal seasonal snowfall to date despite the lack of extended cold.

Places like JFK are already a bit more than half way to reaching seasonal average snowfall by January 10th. Just goes to show how even

when the Atlantic blocking disappoints, the Pacific is there to pick up the slack.

1:6.gif

500.gif

Got to -1F back where I grew up in VA (KSHD), but that's pretty run-of-the-mill.  CHO and EZF (Fredericksburg) got down to 7F which is pretty chilly for them.  DCA and NYC (16 and 14 respectively) are the embarrassments of the corridor.  We barely got colder than the Outer Banks overnight.

13 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before but can someone explain why KFOK can be be such a cold spot during winter? Seems that it is levels above others in the area for both cold and rapid cooling when the conditions are right.

Location in the pine barrens. No urban heat. Flat, with sandy soil. 

Last night throw in deep snow cover and lack of wind.

15 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Location in the pine barrens. No urban heat. Flat, with sandy soil. 

Last night throw in deep snow cover and lack of wind.

This is from BNL, but you can see how shallow the cold is on these idea radiational cooling nights. The 50 m temp was basically the NYC low this morning.

Screen shot 2017-01-09 at 10.14.15 AM.png

33 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Agree. The the great Pacific blocking pattern has powered us to above normal seasonal snowfall to date despite the lack of extended cold.

Places like JFK are already a bit more than half way to reaching seasonal average snowfall by January 10th. Just goes to show how even

when the Atlantic blocking disappoints, the Pacific is there to pick up the slack.

1:6.gif

500.gif

My next period starts around here . ( 25th ish ) 

eps_z500a_nh_61.png

14 minutes ago, Morris said:

What do you see on this frame?

It would start sometime after the 25th IMO  .  Those higher  heights are rolling N back over the top and pressures are building in Canada . The trough begins to develop underneath and should find itself in the S/E and M/A starting the last week ish of Jan as we enter Feb .

Not sure how long or strong yet . 

4 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

It would start sometime after the 25th IMO  .  Those higher  heights are rolling N back over the top and pressures are building in Canada . The trough begins to develop underneath and should find itself in the S/E and M/A starting the last week ish of Jan as we enter Feb .

Not sure how long or strong yet . 

For what its worth Bastardi targeted that period and believes we can ride it through Feb. Trust him as far as I can throw him but it's an indicator and a couple of other major mets targeting same period. What are you thinking for this Sat. PB?

21 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

For what its worth Bastardi targeted that period and believes we can ride it through Feb. Trust him as far as I can throw him but it's an indicator and a couple of other major mets targeting same period. What are you thinking for this Sat. PB?

He is usually too strong for too long .  I think this is a winter of 10 and 15 day periods , for him to say Feb into March is not something I will touch .

This weekend will have a very March feel to it . 60 possible ( where there deep snow cover , those point and click numbers will bust high )  on Friday and 2 days later Snow and Ice could show up . I want to see how much energy come out of the Panhandle before I take a good stab at it .

That is an anomalous High and would stand firm if something ran into at the right time . 

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

It's pretty cool when you see the EPS 11-15 going to the recent weekly runs showing that after January 25th.

Yeh man, it`s been a while . I know you have liked the post 25th period/ PNA spike . 

Let`s hope this continues to show up. 

2 hours ago, dmillz25 said:

The same brother except I'll be our in it for 10 hours 

I was outside for 14 hours Saturday during the snow. I wear my snowboard pants, high rubber water proof boots with thick socks, heavy jacket with fleece under, hat and face cover and thick snow board mittens. I was toasty and my coworkers freezing. It's all about how you dress. If I could afford one I would get a Canada goose jacket (the ones with the fur hood and red patch on the arm) if you work or live In Manhattan they are everywhere.

im liking the late January-February period as well. One for strict snow climatology but two following the trend of the last few winters. In our new emerging climate that's the time of year that seems to love our area for snow. This isn't speculation or a left/right issue it's fact 

Archived