• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

I know that the RAP isn't actually the most accurate model, but with it showing the continued trend of warming at the surface and precip further west, it's starting to indicate to me that this is going to be another western piedmont special. It is curious, though, that we can have falling snow, a decent northerly wind and still have BL temps warm. But hey, I've seen weirder things.

Moral of the story: don't bank on snow in the Triangle unless the models show you in the sweet spot ON THE DAY OF THE EVENT. Even 24 hours before is not enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WidreMann said:

I know that the RAP isn't actually the most accurate model, but with it showing the continued trend of warming at the surface and precip further west, it's starting to indicate to me that this is going to be another western piedmont special. It is curious, though, that we can have falling snow, a decent northerly wind and still have BL temps warm. But hey, I've seen weirder things.

Moral of the story: don't bank on snow in the Triangle unless the models show you in the sweet spot ON THE DAY OF THE EVENT. Even 24 hours before is not enough.

And even when it starts, the dry air bubble sets up over the area.

3 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

Every model I've seen has Raleigh and eastern/central NC in the sweet spot.  Hey but if you want to give me more snow, I'll take it! 

I am concerned with the continued forecast for rain/snow at the onset by my NWS. 

Just now, SnowNiner said:

Every model I've seen has Raleigh and eastern/central NC in the sweet spot.  Hey but if you want to give me more snow, I'll take it! 

I am concerned with the continued forecast for rain/snow at the onset by my NWS. 

Have you seen the HRRR and the 18z GFS? Both keep us above freezing, albeit slightly, through most of the event. RGEM I think is also like that. HRRR actually raises temperatures after precip starts. Hard to believe, but entirely in line with the kind of thing that would happen here.

35 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

Definitely a good point.  Would be really interesting if virtually every model missed it within 24 hours.  Don’t care as much about temps this time, but slowing the precip down and/or greatly shortening the duration of it is not a happy thing.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Definitely a good point.  Would be really interesting if virtually every model missed it within 24 hours.  Don’t care as much about temps this time, but slowing the precip down and/or greatly shortening the duration of it is not a happy thing.

How much snow do you need to call this a good winter?

I was really feeling good about it until this afternoon.  Usually, when there’s a jackpot zone just west of the Triangle, there’s a cliff through Wake Co., even if the models still show robust totals on the east side.  Models try to spread that gradient out too much over too wide an area.  I could see Orange Co. get 7” and my area get 1”.

2 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

I was really feeling good about it until this afternoon.  Usually, when there’s a jackpot zone just west of the Triangle, there’s a cliff through Wake Co., even if the models still show robust totals on the east side.  Models try to spread that gradient out too much over too wide an area.  I could see Orange Co. get 7” and my area get 1”.

I feel the same way you do.  Don’t worry though, I’m sure that Brick will chime in soon saying that we have nothing to worry about.

• Haha 1