• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

If that happens, we are in real serious trouble and I mean real serious. There's no way to sugar coat that scenario 

You speaking in terms of entire winter in serious trouble? I know there were major concerns back in Oct and early Nov regarding historically low snowpack across much of Eastern Canada for that time of year. That used to be a sign of a dud winter in our areas in years past anyway.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I'd normally agree even with unanimous models in the long range saying raging Pacific jet and strong +EPO, but the caveat here is the stratospheric PV. It's looking likely now that it strengthens substantially and moves right over the north pole. If that happens, we are in real serious trouble and I mean real serious. There's no way to sugar coat that scenario 

We have seen snow in terrible patterns

lol at some of the analysis in here. 

Not Bluewave of course ......

The driver is the WPO not the EPO here. 

It's what's bending the Siberian jet into CANADA and freezing it .

That air is sliding access the CONUS. 

There's no fire hose PAC air coming this month in fact the PNA turns POS.

The weeklies aren't "Warm" , the 7 day scale on the mean is plus .2 .3 which shows up as N on the actual euro ( Maue ) just scales it .

oh BTW 5 days ago they were cold through the 46 day period, funny not a peep about that Thrs thru Sunday here ....

The same guys who missed this cold 15 day period are now onto Massielo s warmer look. 

The dude missed this up coming period from just 3 days ago .

The WPO is the driver not the EPO.

6 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

The weeklies aren't "Warm" , the 7 day scale on the mean is plus .2 .3 which shows up as N on the actual euro ( Maue ) just scales it .

oh BTW 5 days ago they were cold through the 46 day period, funny not a peep about that Thrs thru Sunday here ....

The same guys who missed this cold 15 day period are now onto Massielo s warmer look. 

The dude missed this up coming period from just 3 daya ago .

The weeklies are slightly warmer week 3 and 4 and we know how fickle those weeks are.

1 hour ago, PB GFI said:

You got it. The key to keeping North America cold beyond the middle of December is how long that poleward Aleutian ridge

that is turning the WPO negative stays in place. All we really know for sure at this point is that week 2 of December will be

colder than week 1 for our area.

eps_wpo_bias.png

1 hour ago, PB GFI said:

The discussion on this subforum is great!  The trolling on twitter by some well respected mets throwing out little tidbits that points to a warm winter to get under peoples skin has gotten ridiculous.  Good news is if people wanted a BN winter then Dec is starting exactly like they would want.  Agree, the weeklies weren't "warm"...sure there were warm periods in there but people make it seem like they showed a 11/12 repeat.

Interesting that tacomans winter forecast top 5 analog composite had a +EPO Dec.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 11.00.35 AM.png

2 hours ago, dmillz25 said:

Isn't the strat PV taking some hits or is it the tropo? I think I seen something on it just don't remember which was it

It's forcast to strengthen over the next few weeks. Will kill any chance of a -AO.

eps over night lost the +epo but the end of the run has a weak -epo.

we will have a few chances with this cold snap. Hopefully we can get something 

2 minutes ago, TriPol said:

I think winter is taking a big hiatus 'round these parts. I think the "grand finale" to our two decades worth of major snow storms was last January. Not saying we won't have some snow here and there, but I think these 1-2 foot snowstorms are done with for a few years at least. A shame because my son is about to turn two and there's nothing more that I'd love than to get into a snowball fight with him.

Most of the 80s and early 90s significant pre Christmas snows were very rare. We got lucky from 2002-2013. There's a reason our average Dec snowfall was around 3". The same goes for major snowfalls of 18" or more. Instead of getting 1 or 2 per decade we've been getting them every 2 to 3 years

19 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It's forcast to strengthen over the next few weeks. Will kill any chance of a -AO.

eps over night lost the +epo but the end of the run has a weak -epo.

we will have a few chances with this cold snap. Hopefully we can get something 

We need enough HP over SE Canada to prevent all the more significant storms from cutting or hugging.

December 2008 had the strong poleward Aleutian ridge combined with only some weak -NAO blocking.

A storm was able to get forced under instead of cutting on the 19th and it let NYC finish the month with above normal snowfall.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2008/us1219.php

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The Euro really pumps up the ridge north of Alaska day 5-10. You want to see that feature persist into the longer range for the cold to lock in beyond mid-December.

ecmwf_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

Might be kind of an ameteurish question, but is it wise to draw inferences from the fact that, as of late, LR models have too hastily bulldozed major pattern features like this one?  Wouldn't that weigh in favor of keeping the cold locked in for an extended period?

14 hours ago, Eduardo said:

Might be kind of an ameteurish question, but is it wise to draw inferences from the fact that, as of late, LR models have too hastily bulldozed major pattern features like this one?  Wouldn't that weigh in favor of keeping the cold locked in for an extended period?

Yeah, blocking features have been locking in for extended periods once they become established in a given region.

12 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

If you ask me the cold air barely even gets here before it is scoured out by total zonal flow starting near the 17th. and continuing till the start of 2017 or beyond.

Huh? Some places will be -2 to -5 between Dec 9 and 13th, a single +2 to +3 day on the 14th, BN 15, 16 and average on the 17th...

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Huh? Some places will be -2 to -5 between Dec 9 and 13th, a single +2 to +3 day on the 14th, BN 15, 16 and average on the 17th...

The core of the BN air never gets here.   MidWest is much more below their normal compared to us.    Do not knock the CFS, it showed this cold outbreak 2-weeks ago for the (10th-13th) and also showed it sliding by us thereafter.

Archived