Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The SE Ridge or WAR has been a problem for the coast during the last 5 Decembers. With the exception of the mid-December 2013 snow, all the significant snowfall for

the coast has held off until JFM. Having the amazing -AO/-NAO and record snowfall for December 2009 and 2010 was a pretty rare feat to pull off two years in a row.

JB saw this coming as I posted awhile back.  He was somewhat concerned when he posted the WxBell winter outlook that there was potential for the northeast and MA to be very mild in December due to the WATL SSTs fueling a SE ridge.  It doesn't appear as of now the major positive departures will occur, but certainly could be above with lack of snow issues.  I think once again though that issue relaxes after December 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

JB saw this coming as I posted awhile back.  He was somewhat concerned when he posted the WxBell winter outlook that there was potential for the northeast and MA to be very mild in December due to the WATL SSTs fueling a SE ridge.  It doesn't appear as of now the major positive departures will occur, but certainly could be above with lack of snow issues.  I think once again though that issue relaxes after December 

Strongly agree on the warm water issues.   This will become our friend later in the winter if we get a good pattern.

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Exactly. This pattern is awful for snow unless you are in the far interior northeast and New England. SE ridge and very progressive flow no NAO blocking. Cutter, warm and rain then cold and dry after the cold fropa. Wash, rinse repeat 

Horrible analysis . 

24 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The '13 event had some brutally cold air in here which helped-took longer than models had predicted for it to be scoured out-we had 6 inches of snow covered by a close to a half inch of ice on top.

'08 event here was all snow, but the rain line stopped just south of me....

22 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Perhaps we can pull off a 2008 with a front end dump before a change to rain along the coast. The cold air will be around next week 

22 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It looks like the coldest departures relative to normal will tend to focus near Montana according to the ensemble means going forward. So at least we have a source

of Arctic air over North America that could help out with a thread the needle type of gradient pattern. It's really a roll of the dice whether the SE Ridge messes up

all our potential of reaching near to above normal December snowfall or an event or two can sneak in along the lines of 2013 and 2008.

Sometimes we get lucky and cold pooling out near Montana during December spills east in January like we have seen on several occasions in the past.

POSTED THIS AWAY .

Heres the idea when you introduce Siberian sourced  cold air into the forecast area like this , it will find a way to snow .

I think I got part 1 correct but the snow is always the / my bust potential. 

As it is those N and W of the city may see snow 3 x this week , albeit light .

But as the cold gets established and remember this air always beats the models because of it sources regioned density it could end up slightly colder than modeled for a few days .

This looks to continue into early Christmas week and then we will see , but that's 2 weeks away so I disagreed with those who call this transient. 

I believe when the pattern relaxes AN snow will have fallen around the area .

EPS/GEFS.

eps_t850a_5d_noram_29.png

eps_t850a_5d_noram_61.png

eps_t850a_5d_noram_41.png

ecmwf_wpo_bias.png

eps_wpo_bias.png

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_65.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_noram_27.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_noram_41.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_noram_65.png

I would like to point out however, for those of us that have seen accumulations and snowfall thus far... models that have been fantastic as of late

Nam 12k (4K has been under-doing precip)

RGEM

HRRR (RAP has been garbage)

and here's one not often noticed but I still watch, the NMM mesoscale model < did very well with the November over performance storm for interior 

all have performed exceptionally well for the few events we've seen so far. 

17 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

WPO / SOURCE REGION AND 500 s TRUMP OP RUNS . 

Yeah, you can see how the EPS has been coming around to a stronger ridge there lasting longer than just a few days ago.

We have seen models underestimate these ridges which set up in anomalously low sea ice and well above normal SST areas.

old run for 0z 12/15

OLD.png

New run

NEW.png

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, you can see how the EPS has been coming around to a stronger ridge there lasting longer than just a few days ago.

We have seen models underestimate these ridges which set up in anomalously low sea ice and well above normal SST areas.

old run for 0z 12/15

OLD.png

New run

NEW.png

That air mass means business . 

23 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

That air mass means business . 

This is one of the more extreme temperature departure drops that we have seen in places like Montana and North Dakota. Areas that were +10 or higher in November

will be -20 or lower for the next week and potentially beyond.

M7D7.jpg

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This is one of the more extreme temperature departure drops that we have seen in places like Montana and North Dakota. Areas that were +10 or higher in November

will be -20 or lower for the next week and potentially beyond.

M7D7.jpg

Yeh we get  even colder through the 20th . Then we will have to see what`s after that . 

5845b81b2b9c3_gefs_t2ma_5d_noram_29DAY2-7.png.23044b95bea4bc56ee5c17129e11aacd.png

5845b81e9d99a_gefs_t2ma_5d_noram_53DAY8-13.png.8f736a267ed15f8e44550a26782d4382.png

5845b821d5f0a_gefs_t2ma_5d_noram_65DAYS10-16.png.2d1ccd934caf1e7ee456c6004dd61123.png

2 minutes ago, Googlymoogly said:

what are your thoughts for post 12/20

Prudence dictates we pull back the last week in Dec . But too what ? N AN ETC Duno .

We typically do not run 3- 4 week anomalies like that . Will need to look at where the better guidance at 500 falls too in another 5 days or so  

Archived