Hoosier

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, Snowstorms said:

Repost from Ben Noll via Twitter: 

POAMA snow anomaly map for February: 

C2XTxGRVQAEjqwN.jpg

Would be a complete disaster if this came to fruition. 

Bump! So how did this play out for everyone in the sub-forum?

Looks like it busted for New England and the NE, due to an active storm track earlier in the month. It busted for YYZ as it will finish within 2-2.5" of average. 

Garbage month again! 

Some more winter weather facts about the winter of 2016-2017 and past winters for CMI:

Warmest February on record in 129 years.

Average temp was 40.8 degrees, nearly 12 degrees above normal. 

Only 3 subzero readings all winter. 

CMI officially recorded 6.1" of snowfall during met winter. The winter of 72-73 had just 2.3" holy cow!!!

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

Models are clueless right  now, but it has actually been trending south, not north, at this point. Anything is on the table from the U.P. to the OV.

I don't consider the models clueless, the only thing in play is a warm front and it has been wavering back and forth. When it comes down to it the WAA will win out and this will be in the UP.

54 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I don't consider the models clueless, the only thing in play is a warm front and it has been wavering back and forth. When it comes down to it the WAA will win out and this will be in the UP.

I'm fine with that. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's a brutal airmass for this time of year into New England on the ECMWF... next weekend.

It's sitting over Ontario next weekend, I'll be there. I'm prepping for sub zero highs potentially. It's not the first time I have experienced it.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

The models overall have been flip flopping like crazy. Kinda expected but still. Posted early from a forecast discussion in IN. "Safe to say the winter pattern looks to continue with alternating periods of warm and cold for the foreseeable future. No reason to deviate from consensus Superblend temps and PoPs for now. Trend is your friend when models change like a feather in the wind."

The UP may get it but I still feel we are very much in play. Tons of run to run changes coming up I'm sure.

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

meanshile the euro's version cuts south of all of us and is a snowstorm for s.VA and n.NC  :lol:

edit: and the euro ens appears even more suppressed than that

I mean that totally makes sense in a -PNA/+AO/+NAO regime which isn't changing by then either. Needless to say I'll believe it when I see flakes flying.

26 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I mean that totally makes sense in a -PNA/+AO/+NAO regime which isn't changing by then either. Needless to say I'll believe it when I see flakes flying.

We might have a near neutral NAO by then if you believe the progs. Also, lots of volatility with the AO but it at least appears like it will be trending downward.

5 minutes ago, OHweather said:

What +NAO are you guys referring to? This may be the first legit -NAO of the "winter"...I'd be more worried about any systems shearing out with this look than cutting well to our northwest. 

I was just going to correct my post after I checked out the indices on Wxbell.   The NAO is negative on both the gfs and euro around that time frame...although not strongly negative.

The AO is just slightly positive and the PNA still in perma-negative mode.

5 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I was just going to correct my post after I checked out the indices on Wxbell.   The NAO is negative on both the gfs and euro around that time frame...although not strongly negative.

The AO is just slightly positive and the PNA still in perma-negative mode.

That must have changed with today's run, everything leading to today has been -PNA/+AO/+NAO

Well no sense in doing anything other than watching every model run change. I remain steadfast that anyone is in play. I get where Stebo/powerball etc are coming from, but its not as if it hasn't snowed this winter in southeast MI lol (30-36 inches has fallen over most of the area). At this point I'm trying to figure out how we can still be in play once this jumps over chicago :ph34r::P

A potential wrinkle is if the low over British Columbia doesn't back southwest like the Euro suite suggests and allow for some height rises on the west coast. That could open the door for a storm to cut more.  The -NAO has been there for a few days but has trended more robust as we've gotten closer.  

Archived