Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

34 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

EURO with a 983mb low over PAH area on 1-23 no cold air to work with

you can tell there is a lack of cold arctic high pressure because the lowest pressure over the US is a 1022mb "high" over AZ

Not all that different from the GFS.  Would be a slap in the face to get cold rain from that.  Previous model runs have shown enough cold air for a band of snow on the western side so hopefully things can trend that way.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Not all that different from the GFS.  Would be a slap in the face to get cold rain from that.  Previous model runs have shown enough cold air for a band of snow on the western side so hopefully things can trend that way.

I know '97-'98 is a terrible analog for this winter and that was a super nino.... but  these 7-10 day solutions popping up with these cutoff strong lows somewhere in the Ohio or Tenn Valley remind me of the winter storm in early Feb '98.    Crazy stuff like rain in Buffalo while snowing like hell in Kentucky.    

In other words, if enough cold air can be generated from the low itself, we could end up with another weird outcome like that.  

1 minute ago, ConfusedKitten said:

Apparently it's the Australian BOM's experimental long-range model, so uh take that as you will.

I'm not in the least bit worried because of that....nor would I be excited if it showed blue (even though I still don't get the legend). Just have to muddle through these next 10 days then see what's in store.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

The next system that has any shot at producing snow is around the 25-26th.  Euro is slowly trending north with that, so may favor the MSP to Green Bay area.  Looks cold and dry after that until at least early Feb.  At least the belts around the lakes will be able to produce for the MI peeps.

That one's dead on arrival. Definitely congrats MSP.

On 1/16/2017 at 0:21 AM, blackrock said:

Yeah, we have probably done some of the worst in terms of lake effect compared to most snow belts this year. Like I mentioned, the 35 mph winds we have had with pretty much every lake effect event this year have either blown the snow waaaay inland, or they have ripped apart snowflake growth and we get the real fine snow that just doesn't pile up. Plus, this area cashes in big time with clippers, as SW winds really enhance snow off the lake...and we often get convergence. This year, we have had zero clippers, so that has not helped us at all. Muskegon is truly a microclimate in itself. We either get the heaviest snows...or some of the lowest. There isn't much "in between" stuff. Winters seem to be either feast or famine here. 150 inch snow seasons....or 70 inches.

The lack of clippers has been very annoying.

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm not in the least bit worried because of that....nor would I be excited if it showed blue (even though I still don't get the legend). Just have to muddle through these next 10 days then see what's in store.

Here is the map from December for January fwiw; 

C1HQtRdVIAAQ17P.jpg

C1HQuVYVIAQXjiD.jpg

Was way off for January, but then again, seeing such a snowless January thus far has surprised many of us. It did half decent for December totals in some areas.  

Based on current indications our best chance at any Winter storm looks to be between Jan 26th and Feb 5th IMO as the pattern reshuffles.

2 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Here is the map from December for January fyi; 

Was way off for January, but then again, seeing such a snowless January thus far has surprised many of us. It did half decent for December totals in some areas.  

Based on current indications our best chance at any Winter storm looks to be between Jan 26th and Feb 5th IMO as the pattern reshuffles.

'Half decent in some areas' doesn't exactly instill much of confidence ha ha. 

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

FYI, and I put zero faith in an unknown map like that anyway....it's saying that snowfall will be .1 cm a day below normal. That converts to Feb snowfall 1.1" below normal :lol:

Meh, I'm ok with a not-so snowy February honestly. A big snowstorm would be nice, but if it doesn't happen, oh well. I like not having to slip and slide up side streets and parking lots to get to places and get things done.

It's the cold and cloudy weather that I'm growing increasingly annoyed with. I'm in the "if it's not going to snow, it better be torchy and sunny" camp, although I know that's not typically a realistic expectation for our location. 

7 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Here is the map from December for January fwiw; 

C1HQtRdVIAAQ17P.jpg

C1HQuVYVIAQXjiD.jpg

Have the December map by chance? January technically isn't over as some snow likely will fall in the final days.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

Meh, I'm ok with a not-so snowy February honestly. A big snowstorm would be nice, but if it doesn't happen, oh well. I like not having to slip and slide up side streets and parking lots to get to places and get things done.

It's the cold and cloudy weather that I'm growing increasingly annoyed with. I'm in the "if it's not going to snow, it better be torchy and sunny" camp, although I know that's not typically a realistic expectation for our location. 

Oh i definitely know what you like. But you are asking for no nickels and dimes and lots of sunshine. In detroit. You are funny haha

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Well, the first step is to get cold more consistently, which it looks like we will eventually.  Hopefully snow chances materialize.

I'm dubious of a change to a more wintry pattern end of Jan into Feb.   Indices suck.   Both the gfs and euro show the AO in positive territory and climbing as we end January.  NAO strongly positive.  EPO skirting along neutral to slightly positive.   For all the MJO fans, it's in a good phase right now and for the next week but as we approach Feb it heads back into the circle of death.   

The only thing we got going for us as we end the month is a positive PNA which ironically has been negative through most of our previous cold shots this winter.   

Eventually it'll get cold again this winter....I'm assuming...but if a consistent period of cold with snow does materialize we may have a longer wait to get there. 

That early week system sure is annoying.  Might be able to get some wet snow on the fringe at times but overall, doesn't look like anything to write home about.  Hopefully it can stick around close enough to act as a block to force the next system a bit farther south.

Maybe block isn't the best term to use, but in essence the early week system could force the follow up system farther south if the spacing is minimal.  UKMET has a good example of what I'm talking about.  That low in the Plains ain't cutting if the setup looks like that.

Would I bank on this?  No, but it's all we got lol

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

Tough luck winter so far..   Hoping that next week storm that's been persistent on the GFS comes to fruition for NW Wisconsin.    Bought my snowmobile and blower just before Christmas and haven't seen more than a half inch of snow since.    Now I'm going up to Ashland/Bayfield WI.  fishing and snowmobiling and its going to be in the 40's' - Nice for fishing!  With this winter its a godsend I have the next month+ off and the freedom to go to the snow.  Really hope the backyard trails here get to open up once more as they're a lot of fun and lots of miles of them starting a mile from my house as the crow fly's

I've only looked at the GFS in clown range and that's against my better judgement but knowing I was going to be up north for a bit I've been reaching out in model land out of addiction.

Didn't like to read this..  But it could just as well come back tonight...With my luck this yr I'm expecting that "storm" to miss 666 miles south

HOWEVER, THE LATEST RUN OF THE ECMWF NO LONGER HAS THIS STORM   SYSTEM, EVEN THOUGH PREVIOUS RUNS WERE FAIRLY SIMILAR TO THE GFS.   THEREFORE, THERE IS MORE UNCERTAINTY NOW THE LIKELIHOOD OF THIS   STORM SYSTEM FORMING. STORM OR NO STORM, THERE WILL LIKELY BE A   COOLING TREND OF THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK AS COOLER AIR FILTERS OUT OF   CANADA.  

Archived