Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

5 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

They can't even commit to giving possible totals... come on NWS storm is hours away...

4 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

They've been low balling it for the last 24 hours. Hopefully this is a sign they think it could be more than originally thought.

To be fair it wasn't really until 12z today that the GFS really jumped on the higher totals. Expect after the digest all the 12z data expansion of WWAs will go up. FB post says as much.

NWSFB.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah honestly the major models weren't impressed as the short range models for anything more than 2 inches. I could see this being a 4-6 type with maybe 7 or 8 if it over performs. I also read from Millersville that there are squalls that come behind the storm which should be watched. 

1 hour ago, jwilson said:

Biggest question - at least for southern zones - may be how fast this changes over from rain to snow.  Obviously a quicker changeover and we can get more.  I'm not sure mixing is ever an issue in Pittsburgh metro as you can see from the RUC data which shows the higher amounts basically Washington and north.

In storms like this it is always better to be closer to the rain/snow line because that's always where the axis of heaviest snowfall lies.

I do think this can swing either way, somewhat high bust potential, but the short-term has definitely been in our favor.  Anything over 3" locally and I get a season high.

Yeah, where that enhanced band sets up will be key.

The short term models have been showing a meso feature the past 24 hrs.

2 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Yeah honestly the major models weren't impressed as the short range models for anything more than 2 inches. I could see this being a 4-6 type with maybe 7 or 8 if it over performs. I also read from Millersville that there are squalls that come behind the storm which should be watched. 

Yea, those squalls are going to be very hit and miss.  Hopefully they verify.  

13 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Any maps?

Are you registered with this site?  Posters always post lots of maps.  Its where I get most of mine.  You have to put up with the NYC/East Coast centric posts.  JB and Cohen are registered there.

http://www.americanwx.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5433-the-last-month-of-winter-part-ii/&page=59

Archived