Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

4 minutes ago, Ryd10 said:

Because one of these days we will finally get a good storm and it will be rewarding after tracking it for 5 days and going through the model chaos. We are seriously due at this point and we are in just a bad streak of terrible luck. Every storm just misses us. 2010 got me interested in weather and ever since then its been nothing but heartbreak. Did anyone here actually get to track that storm. The last minute NAM shift 

Yeah, I realize all of that. It was more of a rhetorical question. lol A lot of us were here for the 2010 storm. Can't believe it's been 7 years already since that storm. It was kind of a roller coaster week of tracking from what I remember. At times it looked great for us, and at times it looked like the big numbers were going to just miss us. That morning, the local mets were saying 3 to 6 inches, except Dennis Bowman. I think he said 6 to 10 that morning. We all know what happened after that. I had 20 inches in my backyard. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Yeah, I realize all of that. It was more of a rhetorical question. lol A lot of us were here for the 2010 storm. Can't believe it's been 7 years already since that storm. It was kind of a roller coaster week of tracking from what I remember. At times it looked great for us, and at times it looked like the big numbers were going to just miss us. That morning, the local mets were saying 3 to 6 inches, except Dennis Bowman. I think he said 6 to 10 that morning. We all know what happened after that. I had 20 inches in my backyard. 

I had a flight out to LA the following morning, so I stayed in a hotel near the airport the night before that storm hit because the local mets were calling for a few inches and I didn't wanna miss flight due to the drive to the airport. Needless to say I never even made it to the airport the following morning. Instead it took me 4 hours to make the normally 45 minute trip back home. Trees fell in the rear lot of the hotel parking lot and smashed a bunch of cars, but luckily I was parked out front. I was also driving an early 2000's Subaru Forrester, which was the only thing that made the drive home possible as far as I'm concerned. Those things are tanks. I saw countless other 4x4 vehicles stuck and/or abandoned on the parkway that morning. What a mess.

42 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Yeah, I remember it waffled back and forth for a bit, but then as we closed in it seemed like each run got a little better and a little better, I want to say at least 36-48 hours out we all knew a big one was likely on the horizon, but the locals were going with 2-4 and 3-6, and yeah Bowman had 6-12 Friday morning. I remember even Friday night we were all reporting over 6 and the locals still were playing catch p as 35-40 dbz returns were embedded in the stream moisture coming North.

52 minutes ago, Ryd10 said:

Because one of these days we will finally get a good storm and it will be rewarding after tracking it for 5 days and going through the model chaos. We are seriously due at this point and we are in just a bad streak of terrible luck. Every storm just misses us. 2010 got me interested in weather and ever since then its been nothing but heartbreak. Did anyone here actually get to track that storm. The last minute NAM shift 

I remember tracking those multiple storms in 2010.  I was in Philly for that winter so we got three fairly significant storms, two back-to-back in February.  However all those storms suffered from seriously sharp snowfall gradients.  Places less than 20 miles from me were doubling (or more) my local snowfall totals.  As an example, locally we received just over 12" for the December '09 system, while the official measurement was closer to 30" - that's a 17-mile difference.  It was amazing to track, but the constantly shifting sharp gradient made things uncomfortable all the time.  A very minor movement in either direction meant major changes.

I'd still like to see a wide-swath system for once where those gradients aren't as much of an issue.  It seems ever since that winter, though, the storms have been similar in that way (just look at January of last year).  We need an all of PA type storm where the whole state is looking at a foot or more.  It has been a long while.

2 minutes ago, jwilson said:

I remember tracking those multiple storms in 2010.  I was in Philly for that winter so we got three fairly significant storms, two back-to-back in February.  However all those storms suffered from seriously sharp snowfall gradients.  Places less than 20 miles from me were doubling (or more) my local snowfall totals.  As an example, locally we received just over 12" for the December '09 system, while the official measurement was closer to 30" - that's a 17-mile difference.  It was amazing to track, but the constantly shifting sharp gradient made things uncomfortable all the time.  A very minor movement in either direction meant major changes.

I'd still like to see a wide-swath system for once where those gradients aren't as much of an issue.  It seems ever since that winter, though, the storms have been similar in that way (just look at January of last year).  We need an all of PA type storm where the whole state is looking at a foot or more.  It has been a long while.

Pittsburgh area missed out on the December storm if I remember correctly, but we did pretty good with the 2 in Feb for sure, but yea I think areas just to the North had a pretty big cutoff in snow. The block was just incredible, and you had the STJ juiced low plowing right into it, and it got shoved east but not before it gained in latitude to hit us good. Then less than 5 days later we had another big hit.

GFS looks like clippers and NW flow snow showers from Friday through next Thursday. Gotta think one of those impulses has a chance to dig and maybe amp up a bit, but the models don't tend to handle NS impulses well from more than 5 days, so it would be something that just pops up in the day 3-4 range if it happens.

Even out to 384 higher heights persist over the pole forcing lobe of the PV around Hudson bay, that is a decent look for keeping snow chances around.

2 hours ago, Ryd10 said:

I think I found where the mix line is hanging out and that's my house. McKnight Rd mod snow, my house heavy rain. 

I left North Park around 9:00 and it was light drizzle and a slushy inch left on the grassy areas and trees. Drove home south on Mcknight and just have a slushy coating left in my yard. 33 degrees but no precip.

I think if we had the cold air in place this would have been a decent storm....maybe 4-6 inch snow but not the 1 or 2 feet that some people were posting earlier. The steady to heavy rain really took a while to get going early this afternoon and early this evening that dry slot moved right in. Either way it seems like most times there is always something to disappoint us. :P

8 hours ago, north pgh said:

I left North Park around 9:00 and it was light drizzle and a slushy inch left on the grassy areas and trees. Drove home south on Mcknight and just have a slushy coating left in my yard. 33 degrees but no precip.

I think if we had the cold air in place this would have been a decent storm....maybe 4-6 inch snow but not the 1 or 2 feet that some people were posting earlier. The steady to heavy rain really took a while to get going early this afternoon and early this evening that dry slot moved right in. Either way it seems like most times there is always something to disappoint us. :P

Yeah, this is closer to reality. Yesterday I was thinking we were well over an inch of rain when I said this would have been "epic", but per the climate data site we got .77 which translates to probably a 6-10in range which is a far cry from 2 feet.

NWS snowfall, keep in mind its over a 2 day period but it should at least look and feel wintry. Its to bad we didn't get a pattern like this earlier in winter when the lakes were warmer. While we don't do great with LES, a pattern with upper troughs moving through every 18-24 hours getting enhanced by lake moisture and re-enforcing the NW flow can sometimes surprise. Either way I am getting tired of the 40s and 50s with rain and mud.

16114545_1140100199421395_43958430033221

12 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

NWS snowfall, keep in mind its over a 2 day period but it should at least look and feel wintry. Its to bad we didn't get a pattern like this earlier in winter when the lakes were warmer. While we don't do great with LES, a pattern with upper troughs moving through every 18-24 hours getting enhanced by lake moisture and re-enforcing the NW flow can sometimes surprise. Either way I am getting tired of the 40s and 50s with rain and mud.

16114545_1140100199421395_43958430033221

I could be completely wrong with this assumption, but given how warm it's been it wouldn't surprise me if much of this didn't stick to paved surfaces all that much.

11 hours ago, snowsux said:

I could be completely wrong with this assumption, but given how warm it's been it wouldn't surprise me if much of this didn't stick to paved surfaces all that much.

Yeah, I think roads should be in good shape until later tonight, then I would think some slick spots will start developing especially if we get under any steady light snow showers.

12 hours ago, snowsux said:

Trucking in from Ohio (for those who dont know me, I'm a tractor trailer driver) up on 80 this afternoon, this is potentially good news for me.

I have 5 kids 8 and under. The twins in 2nd grade anyway I told them this morning while ate breakfast to look out window for off and on snow and I showed them radar how it's coming from Erie lake .I remember me as a kid and snow on and off a lot. Instead of the storm version prolonged event I'm in pine Richland  so hopefully lake affect pans out.

5 minutes ago, Ryd10 said:

fIM8aRx.png

Woooooooooooooooooo another cutter!!!!

That time period (Feb 5th - 8th) looks like the next opportunity for something other than light snow from clippers. Its been showing up consistently but its all over the place. Its actually better than 00z which had it in Michigan, at day 10 I wouldn't put much stock in it.

31 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

That time period (Feb 5th - 8th) looks like the next opportunity for something other than light snow from clippers. Its been showing up consistently but its all over the place. Its actually better than 00z which had it in Michigan, at day 10 I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Well, CMC and EURO are both showing cutters at this point also. Tight clustering on GEFS in Michigan for cutter,  BSR also signals potential cutter in this timeframe. 

post-27372-1485453138_thumb.png

Archived