Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/27/2017 at 5:23 PM, snowsux said:

That's crazy. You'd think you'd get more being up in the mountains like that. My ex-wife's family had a place near Deep Creek, MD and they just got annihilated with snow every year without fail. 80-90 inches in a season was nothing for them up there. I always thought it was ironic how well that area handled winter too. Especially in terms of cleanup. By early May, you never would've thought there was 2 feet of snow on the ground there 50-60 days prior. Everything was clean as a whistle. Meanwhile down here in the Pittsburgh  region, it looks like God turned a giant dumpster upside-down in the sky by the end of every winter season. It gets worse depending on how much of a snowpack we've got, and the man-made remnants of winter are visible year-round here both from the trash, as well as the absurd amount of salt/brine/whatever that the local road crews put down. Nothing is more irritating to me than seeing a local plow truck out salting the roads in the beginning of April when it's a chilly rain with no threat of temperatures dropping below freezing, and it happens around here every year.

While true, I don't think my elevation is particularly remarkable.  I'm just over 1,000 ft. here and we have a bit of strange microclimate.  We're certainly too far from the major ridges to get those same orographic bonuses.  Deep Creek is more than double the elevation of Morgantown (2,400 ft. or so), thus not too surprising they do so well with all the snowfall.

I've only lived here about 6.5 years now, but in my experiences, it is unusual for us to get the same amount of snow as Pittsburgh local.  We only do as well or better during southern-stream systems that are placed just about perfectly.  Other than that we warm very quickly in marginal events and we barely get lake effect, with clippers the only alternative.

19 minutes ago, Ryd10 said:

Well GFS is still showing a storm and while nothing significant all it would take is just a little adjustment and boom the low explodes. Gonna be a long week of tracking I think. 

It's been pretty consistent showing a system in the Sunday PM/Monday AM time frame next week.  It's been speeding up the precip arrival now to Sunday afternoon.  The track has been waffling though I know its still 7 days away.   It's too good right now for us this early which is a bad thing in my opinion. 

The Friday event is disorganized and shunts off across the south.

Woke up to a fresh inch of high ratio snow this morning! I've probably got a solid 2-3 inches on the ground in my yard right now and a solid band was just coming through when I left for work so maybe another .5 on top of that. Looks like a few bands may persist but winds should be shifting from out of the SW ahead of the next clipper tonight.

The clipper tonight \ tomorrow we flirt with mixing with WAA out ahead of it.

The storm next weekend looks like a Miller B setup on GFS. Right now the primary is making it a little further North than I think we would prefer to see, it makes it almost right on top of us, but you can see the secondary starting to develop off the coast around Southern NJ. Ideally we want to see that whole transfer take place in WV otherwise we probably mix at some point due to a warm layer somewhere.

gfs_z500_mslp_us_29.png

At least we have lots of stuff to track over the next 10 days at least.

6 hours ago, Ryd10 said:

The storm itself is more like 4-6 I thought. Although there's a low in the GOM right after this one. So finally we get to all east track something. Just in time for my wxbell to expire. 

Maybe you should let it expire so it will bring us good luck! I saw this site posted that actually shows Euro Precip maps for free:

https://ruc.noaa.gov/hfip/tcgen/

Not as comprehensive as WxBell but better than nothing.

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Woke up to a fresh inch of high ratio snow this morning! I've probably got a solid 2-3 inches on the ground in my yard right now and a solid band was just coming through when I left for work so maybe another .5 on top of that. Looks like a few bands may persist but winds should be shifting from out of the SW ahead of the next clipper tonight.

The clipper tonight \ tomorrow we flirt with mixing with WAA out ahead of it.

The storm next weekend looks like a Miller B setup on GFS. Right now the primary is making it a little further North than I think we would prefer to see, it makes it almost right on top of us, but you can see the secondary starting to develop off the coast around Southern NJ. Ideally we want to see that whole transfer take place in WV otherwise we probably mix at some point due to a warm layer somewhere.

gfs_z500_mslp_us_29.png

At least we have lots of stuff to track over the next 10 days at least.

I got close to 2 inches at my house.  Been a while since I had to shovel the driveway.  I must have been in a nice band.  As I drove to work much less in other areas. 

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
813 AM EST MON JAN 30 2017

OHZ041-PAZ013-014-020>022-073-WVZ001-301415-
Columbiana-Armstrong-Butler-Lawrence-Westmoreland-Beaver-Allegheny-
Hancock-
813 AM EST MON JAN 30 2017

...INTENSE SNOW SHOWERS WILL AFFECT EASTERN COLUMBIANA...BEAVER...
LAWRENCE...BUTLER...ALLEGHENY...NORTHWESTERN WESTMORELAND...
SOUTHWESTERN ARMSTRONG AND NORTHEASTERN HANCOCK COUNTIES...

At 810 AM EST, strong snow showers reducing visibility to less than
a mile were located along a line extending from 6 miles southwest of
Slippery Rock to 6 miles northeast of East Palestine to near Salem.
Movement was southeast at 25 mph. Reduced visibility and quick
accumulation of snow will likely impact travel.

Locations impacted include...
Pittsburgh...                     Penn Hills...
Mount Lebanon...                  Bethel Park...
Ross Township...                  McCandless Township...
Monroeville...                    Cranberry...
Moon Township...                  New Castle...
McKeesport...                     Butler...

This includes the following highways...
  Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 1 and 67.

Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 50 and 105.

Parkway North between mile markers 1 and 13.

LAT...LON 4021 7976 4018 7985 4024 7996 4024 7997
      4025 7992 4032 8015 4048 8036 4048 8042
      4063 8069 4090 8094 4090 8090 4093 8089
      4093 8082 4090 8082 4090 8052 4107 8052
      4105 8011 4101 7992 4069 7938
TIME...MOT...LOC 1310Z 304DEG 20KT 4100 8014 4091 8046 4085 8087

$$

We had a nice little squall line pass over us just now, dropped half an inch in about 25 minutes.  Roads were somewhat clear but now they're all covered again.

Between that and whatever snowed overnight we managed a couple inches somehow, almost totaling the biggest event of the season.

1 minute ago, jwilson said:

We had a nice little squall line pass over us just now, dropped half an inch in about 25 minutes.  Roads were somewhat clear but now they're all covered again.

Between that and whatever snowed overnight we managed a couple inches somehow, almost totaling the biggest event of the season.

Yeah, my kids were texting me pictures.  Two are in WVU there and one just graduated from there last year and still lives there.

Big fluffy flakes coming down here with that squall that has kept together from the Cleveland area.  Some yellows showing up on radar with it on the tail end.

3 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

Check out the 12Z CFS from yesterday.. Ryds fav model.. Then look at the 0z... 12z has winter thru whole month, lots of snow, then 0z has winter over for most of US by mid-month. Crazy flip

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=cfs&p=snod&rh=2017012912&fh=12&r=conus&dpdt=

I don't get that model at all. What use does it have? It's worse than the JMA. 

4 hours ago, colonel717 said:

I got close to 2 inches at my house.  Been a while since I had to shovel the driveway.  I must have been in a nice band.  As I drove to work much less in other areas. 

Funny how snow showers work. We live in the same town and I don't think I even have an inch. I haven't measured it yet, but I know it's not a whole lot when I still see plenty of grass poking up through the snow. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
146 PM EST MON JAN 30 2017

MDZ001-OHZ041-PAZ013-020-021-073-074-076-WVZ512>514-310315-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0006.170131T0600Z-170131T2100Z/
GARRETT-COLUMBIANA-LAWRENCE-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-WESTMORELAND-
WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE RIDGES-EASTERN PRESTON-WESTERN TUCKER-
EASTERN TUCKER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF MOUNTAIN LAKE PARK, OAKLAND MD,
GRANTSVILLE, EAST LIVERPOOL, SALEM, COLUMBIANA, NEW CASTLE,
ELLWOOD CITY, ALIQUIPPA, BEAVER FALLS, AMBRIDGE, MONACA,
PITTSBURGH METRO AREA, MURRYSVILLE, GREENSBURG, NEW KENSINGTON,
LIGONIER, DONEGAL, CHAMPION, OHIOPYLE, TERRA ALTA, ROWLESBURG,
HAZELTON, PARSONS, HENDRICKS, SAINT GEORGE, DAVIS, THOMAS,
AND CANAAN VALLEY
146 PM EST MON JAN 30 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 4 PM EST
TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 4 PM
EST TUESDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT. THE HEAVIEST
  SNOW IS EXPECTED BETWEEN 4 AM AND 10 AM TUESDAY MORNING. RAIN
  MAY MIX IN WITH THE SNOW BY NOON. PRECIPITATION WILL TAPER TO
  SHOWERS DURING THE AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...THE SNOW WILL CREATE SNOW COVERED ROADS AND HAZARDOUS
  DRIVING CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW
WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW
COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

PLEASE REPORT SNOWFALL BY CALLING 412-262-1988, POSTING TO THE
NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE, OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH

&&

$$

37 minutes ago, Ryd10 said:

Looks like tomorrow is a 2-3 type deal with maybe 4 if it over performs or doesn't mix too quick. I'll take it  

In Pittsburgh, we are probably getting fringed o. The southern edge. 50 miles northlooks like they could get 3-5 inches. I think we might get an inch or two at best.

Archived