Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ryd10 said:

The low for Sunday and Monday has trended worse and worse. Could this be just the models losing the storm and it comes back after the midrange crisis or is this just going to keep trending bad. 

The 18z GFS looked plain weird with the low forming north of us over Lake Huron then bombing it out over Nova Scotia.  I'd throw it out.

I'll go out on a limb and just say this, and it's not because I'm trying to be optimistic. On the contrary, because I friggin' hate snow. Like most western Pennsylvanians though, I'm a pessimist and a contrarian....So....I say (to all you snow lovers), Just take a look at how active the models are for the next 10-15 days, and don't pay attention to the details because you know as well as I do that tracking these systems this time of year is pretty much gonna wind up to nowcasting them. Especially with the up and down air masses. The atmosphere is a chaotic mess for the foreseeable future, and that foreseeable just happens to be the first half of February. Do you guys seriously think that all that moisture blowing through the region over the course of the next two weeks....which happens to be the first two weeks of February.....in western Pennsylvania....isn't gonna net us at least one good thump of snow? 

Woke up to a fresh half in of snow this morning and the WAA canceled sitting in the dry slot with temps to the SW getting close to 40 so I'd say this definitely under performed. Looks like the best snow will be I-80 North on this one. Short range models did a pretty good job showing the dryslot though so I'm not totally caught off guard with this one. Despite the fact a fresh half inch fell last night total on the ground is a net loss of about 1 inch from yesterday morning. Just goes to show how quick that high ratio LES just vaporizes \ melts \ compacts. If we do hit  upper 30s - 40 today I suspect the rest will be gone when I get home.. Yay... back to sloppy brown mud soup everywhere.. :frostymelt:

8 hours ago, north pgh said:

Yep :axe: However the CMC has 1-2 for northern Allegheny county but GFS has our Sunday storm weakening. 

Trend seems to be a stronger N/S over the last 24 hours, generally the trend over the last 24-36 hours for the long range pattern have been bad, but with the way things have been flipping one way or another who knows. Seems there are several conflicting themes and depending which one the models key in on drastically alters sensible weather.

If we can really get a PV split and time it when the MJO goes into favorable phases 8-1-2 I think we get one more shot at a decent pattern that could yield a big storm somewhere in the east. I'm not yet ready to completely dismiss the Super Bowl storm idea, but its not looking good. The storm after that is currently a wound up cutter. I guess time will tell. I really hope the blocking doesn't kick in for late March and April and we suffer through 3 more months of the cool \ dry then warmish \ wet setup that's seemed to persist for most of winter. Bring on -AO  -NAO and a split PV trapped over Hudson Bay for Feb 14th-March21 then torch until May would be my preference.

19 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

Wow.  I hope that verifies.  I have given up on this winter and now am rooting for torch and end of winter.  Gosh I must be getting old...

The thing about the this is right after the polar vortex tries to invade. So it goes from 70 to 20s in 24 hrs. 

40 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Been under a band on route 8 near the pa turnpike. Started snowing at 8:15 and picked up a solid inch in the last hour. Have to drive off to ford city.

Just looking at the radar loop it looks like at home I was under that decent band for awhile... to bad I'm at work in Southern AGC so I missed the whole thing...

9 minutes ago, psunate1977 said:

Where is that from? Just bought a new jeep. Would love to take the top off for a day. 

9 minutes ago, psunate1977 said:

Where is that from? Just bought a new jeep. Would love to take the top off for a day. 

Wxbell euro 0z run. 

Archived