Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So is this now full textbook RI?

Pressure was @ 993 mb at 5 PM AST yesterday. Pressure is currently @ 953 per recon. That's a 40 mb drop just under 23 hours and it will likely drop another millibar or two in the next hour. Official "textbook" rapid intensification is said to be a 42 mb drop in 24 hours per the NHC. This is right on that threshold.

So yes, it has undergone rapid intensification.

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Pressure was @ 993 mb at 5 PM AST. Pressure is currently @ 953 per recon. That's a 40 mb drop just under 23 hours and it will likely drop another millibar or two in the next hour. Official "textbook" rapid intensification is said to be a 42 mb drop in 24 hours per the NHC. This is right on that threshold.

So yes, it has undergone rapid intensification.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I'm not sure sub 900 mb is "common sense." It is exceptionally rare to see something like that in the Atlantic basin. Never say never, but you need absolutely perfect conditions for a beast like that.

observed plenty of times in the past -  (if ur an old fart like me)

top 20 listed (with pressures)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_intense_tropical_cyclones

Does anyone have info on the fastest pressure drop of a hurricane in history?

Wilma in the Atlantic. Patricia in the Eastern Pacific. I'm not sure about the rest of the globe. We don't have recon in the Western Pacific. Just satellite estimates. Probably would have been Typhoon Haiyan if they had recon over there though. I still think Haiyan is the most intense tropical cyclone we've witnessed, regardless if it wasn't officially recorded.

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Wilma in the Atlantic. Patricia in the Eastern Pacific. I'm not sure about the rest of the globe. We don't have recon in the Western Pacific. Just satellite estimates. Probably would have been Typhoon Haiyan if they had recon over there though. I still think Haiyan is the most intense tropical cyclone we've witnessed, regardless if it wasn't officially recorded.

Wasn't as strong as Typhoon Tip or Patricia.

• wxmx pinned this topic
  • wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived