Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 24-25 Snowstorm part 2

jhamps10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry, sorry if you already posted this, but what did the euro ensemble spread look like?

The mean is further east of the OP run. Has the system offshore and just clipping the immediate coastal areas ( Delmarva/Coastal NJ/se VA ) and thus a bit east of i95. One or two members had a track right on the coast but most were just offshore and or out to sea.

In totally OT news, Chuck Doswell III apparently has his own radio show. This could get interesting. For those not in the know, Chuck Doswell is genious/flamer meteorologist extraordinaire.

I wonder if he has any thoughts on the Christmas Storm? Probably not.

http://www.highinstability.com/

He is more of a severe weather guy, I got the chance to meet and talk to him in person last year.

He is more of a severe weather guy, I got the chance to meet and talk to him in person last year.

Haha yeah I know that. In reality, he has done a ton of research outside of severe wx and his interests are far and wide including numerical modeling, data assimilation and filtering, synoptic meteorology, CSI, lee cyclogenesis, and you can go on and on and on. His forthright personality and his ability to back up his arguments are nice in a world becoming overly sensitive to just about everything, IMO.

He is quite the synoptician, and I look up to him and enjoy reading his material. It would be really fun to pick his brain someday and discuss meteorology with him. Ask him his thoughts regarding this Christmas storm for the EC, etc. I am sure he would blow us all away.

Good reading.

http://www.flame.org/~cdoswell/

http://cadiiitalk.blogspot.com/

well i def won't quit my day job. I look at this map and i can't for the life of me see how a coastal bomb gets bred from that. The ridge in front is flatter than a 14 yr old russian gymnist, there's absolutely no semblance of an 850 low, still a good bit of confluence over the northeast, no slp yet and quite frankly the vort in the south doesn't look that impressive...

yet...

theyre all excited because apparently it matches up with the euro.... hmmm

well i def won't quit my day job. I look at this map and i can't for the life of me see how a coastal bomb gets bred from that. The ridge in front is flatter than a 14 yr old russian gymnist, there's absolutely no semblance of an 850 low, still a good bit of confluence over the northeast, no slp yet and quite frankly the vort in the south doesn't look that impressive...

yet...

theyre all excited because apparently it matches up with the euro.... hmmm

Height field amplification can happen quite rapidly, and considering this run of the NAM has yet to phase the PV and eject it NE, low level CAA has yet to increase. Once that does, the 850 low will take little time forming along that thermal gradient. Incipient cyclogenesis will happen very fast and the upper level height field will respond. That EC vortex is playing a role but if you look at the height field it is quite weak overall even though it looks like a deal-breaker. This type of storm development is a great example of non-steady development/rapid amplification of a disturbance. Things can change quite quickly.

Height field amplification can happen quite rapidly, and considering this run of the NAM has yet to phase the PV and eject it NE, low level CAA has yet to increase. Once that does, the 850 low will have no time forcing along that thermal gradient. Incipient cyclogenesis will happen very fast and the upper level height field will respond. That EC vortex is playing a role but if you look at the height field it is quite weak overall even though it looks like a deal-breaker. This type of storm development is a great example of non-steady development of a disturbance. Things can change quite quickly.

well i guess it did on the euro....

we're on the bench (or over the cliff), on this one, but still interesting to watch unfold

well i guess it did on the euro....

we're on the bench (or over the cliff), on this one, but still interesting to watch unfold

A lot goes back to what I said yesterday regarding the strength of the PV. Given it looks way weaker as we continue to get closer, the GFS just looks less and less likely to verify for the East Coast. Sounds weird but the NAM is far more correct than the GFS, and there is no way the CAA and eventual system cuts eastward towards the coast as a northern solution like the GFS has. Too weak of a PV to incite sufficient cyclogenesis to alter the flow of the CAA. I have a feeling the GFS won't budge much this run either though...

It will be a fight to the finish between the ECM/GFS.

Archived