CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Possible winter storm March 1st-2nd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the pretty maps, it's a quick mover and not liking the lack of a true deformation zone (main driver of precip looks like it's PVA/WAA). I think it could be a very nice storm but throwing out storms like Jan 1999 or Feb 2013 in comparison is probably going to lead to disappointment.

One caveat...if we could get into some of the early frontogenesis banding. That may be the wildcard. Currently, it looks like it blows its load a bit to Toronto's N & W.

Good points. For now, I'd say 6" is the floor for this storm.

I won't sugar coat this, but after seeing these f-gen types of setups impact the area, they usually setup between Homedis' location and the Racine/Milwaukee County line roughly. The GFS position of the band isn't typical.

As Gino from Chicago, and others have mentioned that band tomorrow night should be very interesting.  I mentioned something about it this morning too, although it may be even stronger than I had previously thought.  We all saw how that Nov band overachieved up in far northern IL, and this could be sort of a repeat of that if things come together.  I would place the southern two tiers of WI as the best shot at that band stalling across, but the northernmost tier in IL may be in it as well.  Gonna be fun to watch.

Not really sure why the GGEM is pushing the band a bit south over Lake Michigan though...doesn't seem like any good reason for it. If it didn't, the totals would be very similar to the other models...except for Hill's location where it shows him getting 274821 inches of snow. :P

It has to do with the where the front/baroclinic zone stalls at. 

It mirrors the temperature gradient nicely.

sfctmw.png

Not really sure why the GGEM is pushing the band a bit south over Lake Michigan though...doesn't seem like any good reason for it. If it didn't, the totals would be very similar to the other models...except for Hill's location where it shows him getting 274821 inches of snow. :P

Knock it off. I'm just posting models. By the way the Ukie was more GEM like, and if trends continue so will the Euro.

Not sure if the 12z Parallel EURO was posted, but it shows 1-2 feet from Fort Wayne to Detroit to Sarnia, ON (in a 50 mile wide swath).

Amounts drop off quickly SE of this corridor while they're generally in the 3-6" range within the frontogenesis band.

Seems like this has the possibility of being the most widespread system of the season across the forum.

MKX about to pull the trigger on watches. Just waiting for the good ol' EURO.

FXUS63 KMKX 290446
AFDMKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
1046 PM CST SUN FEB 28 2016

.UPDATE...THE LATEST NAM AND GFS NOW FOCUS OVER SRN WI FOR MDT TO
HEAVY SNOWFALL MON NT AND TUE AM. IF THE ECMWF COMES IN LINE THERE
WILL FINALLY BE AGREEMENT AMONG THE MODELS FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH
THIS SYSTEM.
 A STRONG N-S TROPOSPHERIC TEMP GRADIENT WILL STALL
OVER SRN WI AFTER THE PASSAGE OF A COLD FRONT MON AFT. AS A COUPLE
UPPER WAVES APPROACH FROM THE PLAINS...A SWLY LLJ WILL DEVELOP MON
NT AND PRODUCE STRONG FRONTOGENESIS CENTERED AROUND 850 MB OVER
SRN WI. IT WILL BE SUPPORTED ALOFT BY A LEAD VORTICITY MAXIMUM AND
BY THE RRQD OF THE UPPER JETGFS AND NAM QPF AROUND 0.55 INCHES
BUT CONCERNED QPF WILL BE HIGHER WITHIN A NARROW W-E BAND OF
HEAVIEST SNOWFALL. WIND GUSTS WILL ALSO INCREASE TO 25-30 MPH OVER
THE SRN HALF OF THE CWA AND SNOW MAY BE DRY ENOUGH TO BLOW AND
DRIFT FAIRLY WELL. WINTER WX HEADLINES ARE ANTICIPATED FROM THE
EARLY MON AM FORECAST PACKAGE.

New HRW-NNM really hammers the northern tier of counties of IL tomorrow night with that east/west band of snow.  Deposits over an inch of qpf in a narrow zone.  Geos points west towards Rockford buried.

EDIT:  I'm thinking Dubuque to Kenosha/Geos gets 8"+ easily at this point.  

I was just looking at the GGEM and it has converging winds right over me tomorrow evening at 850 mb. Will have to take a peak at those maps.

Most guidance shows upper 20s here tomorrow night. 2-6" in my grid now.

EURO is rolling. Freezing line passes through at about 7pm or just before.

Archived