• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

Im not rifling through 52 pages for a non event...the fact that there were 52 pages is proof enough.

I was told by PB I would get accumulating snow at night and several post bashing the gfs solely because it was showing little or nothing. This is nothing new here

Then stop posting nonsense if you arent interested in helping clean up what youre complaining about. Whining about other unnamed posts while telling a mod you are too lazy to look up these posts as proof only shows that you arent complaining for the sake of our community, but to hear yourself and jump on your soapbox.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's tough to know if the GFS is actually scoring a win or it's a broken clock is right twice a day scenario with its progressive bias.

Saw post in the NE forum showing the gfs off by 1000 miles with the closed 500 mb low in the midwest on a 72 hour forecast 2 days before the storm- (forecast hour 120 and verification was off by 1000 miles at initialization 48 hours before the storm).

The nam never showed a big storm. That was a big red flag right there. Nam usually has a run or two with insane snow amounts.

To be fair, there was that one 6z run on Sunday morning that gave a decent chunk of LI over a foot of snow. Then the following RGEM got a bit wetter. That's when I actually got pretty excited for a SECS event for LI considering that was a "trend" very close to the event. So that was a pretty annoying let-down.

It was still nice to salvage a 2.6" snow, though. 

The UKIE was disappointingly bad as well. It had big almost Euro-like solutions, only colder. I have to admit the UKIE being as generally "consistent" as it was in showing a SECS event for the coast made me bite a bit. We also had a trend for a more negatively tilted shortwave with last-minute phasing that seemed to gain momentum as we got close to the event...then that trend rapidly revered and we were left with a positively tilted, sheared out shortwave.

I never bought those tucked in EPS members, since the EPS has too many members and always has members way overamplified. It's not a reliable ensemble package for individual storms anymore. Plus, the initial broadness of the trough plus the lead energy never really supported a tucked-in bomb. The idea of a tucked in rain coast/snow inland scenario never made sense given the pattern IMO. 

The rain isn't far away. If the blocking ends up being just a tad weaker, we flood.

gfs_namer_384_precip_ptot.gif

it is pretty foolish to think we won't at least have one more cool down, although it looks short lived. 

At least the GEFS continues to trend wetter.

Obviously this goes way out in time and is highly subject to change but I wouldn't be banking on a dry next two weeks. 

GFS-ENS-MAXRES_QPFtotal_ne_f366.png?v=14

Saturday looks mostly dry but Sunday could be stormy. The PARA Euro was unsettled for Sunday and Monday.

In any event, the GEPS mean looks active.

gem-ens_apcpn_eus_64.png

Very active pattern setting up if the Southeast ridge relaxes just enough to keep the boundary overhead.

gfs_apcpn_neus_40.png

gfs_namer_384_precip_ptot.gif

gfs_T2m_neus_26.png

Not what a lot of people want to hear but the pattern screams well above average rainfall.

stop

Maybe we just expect too much from the models beyond 3-4 days. It's probably fairly

typical for a cutter track to be off by this much at 96 hrs. But we just don't notice

since its still rain tracking over NJ or back into the Great Lakes.

Maybe we just expect too much from the models beyond 3-4 days. It's probably fairly

typical for a cutter track to be off by this much at 96 hrs. But we just don't notice

since its still rain tracking over NJ or back into the Great Lakes.

attachicon.gifold.png

attachicon.gifNEW.png

The intensity was the bigger miss than the track. But that's life next to the Atlantic I guess.

The intensity was the bigger miss than the track. But that's life next to the Atlantic I guess.

The intensity forecast at 96 hrs was based on a faster phase and neg tilt. Its only about a 24 hr miss

since it will deepen rapidly over Canada instead of near the BM. But that's all the difference in the world

for us between a light event and a blizzard. The storm eventually gets down near 950 mb.

The intensity forecast at 96 hrs was based on a faster phase and neg tilt. Its only about a 24 hr miss

since it will deepen rapidly over Canada instead of near the BM. But that's all the difference in the world

for us between a light event and a blizzard. The storm eventually gets down near 950 mb.

attachicon.gifGZ_PN_048_0000.gif

I could buy a miss of the intensity if an OP run times a phase perfectly. But we had ensemble runs where virtually every member was 980s or lower.

it's been so active every nyc asos is below normal for the month :lol:

It's been this way for months. Every long range forecast shows prolific amounts of rain that never pans out the way it shows it and probably never will again. Let down after let down and I don't know why he keeps posting the 384 total precip. That's a bigger crapshoot than craps. This whole El Niño thing as failed big time and will probably continue to do so. Still waiting for my 3 inches of rain I was promised 2 weeks ago

It's been this way for months. Every long range forecast shows prolific amounts of rain that never pans out the way it shows it and probably never will again. Let down after let down and I don't know why he keeps posting the 384 total precip. That's a bigger crapshoot than craps. This whole El Niño thing as failed big time and will probably continue to do so. Still waiting for my 3 inches of rain I was promised 2 weeks ago

I posted one 384hr GFS map weeks ago. The image he quoted automatically updated to today's 12z GFS. Calm down.

yeah, the EPS is really on a roll lately.  Plan on a raging +EPO

The interesting thing with the EPS is that they are often spot on with the 500 mb teleconnection patterns

but sometimes off with individual storm tracks. It's easier to see the larger scale details like where the

ridges and troughs will be, but storms tracks can be off by a few hundred miles and not impact the teleconnections.

Guest Pamela

Seasonal Snowfall 2015-16 Winter
Through March 21st, 2016 / About 11:00 PM

JFK: 41.4"

Islip: 41.2"
Newark: 36.4"
LGA: 36.2"

NWS Upton: 35.8"
Central Park: 32.1"
Bridgeport: 27.2"

Archived