Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-27

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i remember better winters when an 850 low like this meant rippage

and i'd be super worried about thermals further east

nam_namer_051_850_temp_ht.gif

Yeah I'm stunned Chicago might not jackpot this one.. I still think this storm could get sucked in some late by the ugn magnet.. Your early 5.5" call I think plays out well.

Yep, definitely cooler and a bit SE with the precip shield despite the sfc low being only a hair to the east. Haven't checked H5 yet. Suspect the answer lies there.

Seems to give more credence to the further SE camp. The 18z GEFS would suggest that the 0z GFS nudges SE to at least a CMH-ERI-BUF type track. 

Yep, definitely cooler and a bit SE with the precip shield despite the sfc low being only a hair to the east. Haven't checked H5 yet. Suspect the answer lies there.

Man this storm is a tough one to forecast.  The temperatures are just so marginal. A slight shift in the track of the low could make all the difference.

Beautiful CCB/Defo band on the NAM. Even if the front-end stuff ends up warm/sloppy YYZ could still cash in. Verbatim at least.

I can't recall the last time we had really big flakes plastering down. Honestly, I'd rather awesome snow rates than hours of pixie dust, which seems to be all our "storms"... I'll take the rain if it opens the door to a brutal cake job.

Very tight gradient per usual. Looks like 6" along the lakeshore to 1'+ by the time you reach the Oak Ridges. Only 3" or so in the Hamilton area.

It's the type of band that will sit over one area for several hours before drifting SE. Euro supports it but the GFS is less bullish(probably due to the further N track which I don't buy).

I can't recall the last time we had really big flakes plastering down. Honestly, I'd rather awesome snow rates than hours of pixie dust, which seems to be all our "storms"... I'll take the rain if it opens the door to a brutal cake job.

Feb 6, 2008 comes to mind, the morning portion. That was crazy beautiful.

Archived