Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-27

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

blackrock, I gotta side with Hillsdale this time. A lot of people make calls for their area. True though that nobody likes the excessively imby types.

Oh, I know. That's why I included that in my post. I bolded the part I'm referring to. We don't need to know how much a certain location is getting with every model change. I've read several short responses towards him throughout the day from other posters because of this. But, hey, not my problem, right? :) Best wishes on this storm, Hillsdale.

HPC was going with the NAM/EURO blend before the 0z EURO was even in and given its consistency, I doubt they alter their stance.

Was a good discussion.  They mentioned a deeper surface low is plausible

GUIDANCE VARY SOMEWHAT WITHTHE INTENSITY OF THE SURFACE LOW AS IT STRENGTHENS ALONG THEAR/MS/TN BORDER LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. ON THE DEEPER SIDE ARE THE 12ZECMWF/UKMET WHICH SEEMS REASONABLE GIVEN HOW DYNAMIC THE SYSTEMIS. A MORE STEADY-STATE CENTRAL PRESSURE EVENTUALLY IS ATTAINED ASTHE CIRCULATION BROADENS WITH LATITUDE.

So by my count, it's basically the ECMWF/NAM/GEM vs the GFS/UKMET/SREF. 

Have to give the GFS the credit for that 2/2 storm. That model held the steadiest while the other models moved around some.

Axis of heavy snow on the EURO from Lafayette to Lansing to Saginaw.

WPC

...CLOSED LOW DEVELOPING IN THE VICINITY OF THE RED RIVER BY

MIDDAY TUESDAY...

...STRENGTHENING UPPER/SURFACE LOWS LIFTING THROUGH THE OH

VALLEY/LOWER GREAT LAKES REGION...

FINAL PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z NAM/ECMWF WITH THE 12Z ECMWF

ENSEMBLE MEAN

FORECAST CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE LEADING EDGE OF HEIGHT FALLS ALONG THE NOSE OF A 125 KNOT

PACIFIC JET HAS SPAWNED A BROAD AREA OF SHOWERS/THUNDERSTORMS

CENTRAL TX. THIS SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO QUICKLY EVOLVE INTO A

CLOSED UPPER LOW ALONG THE RED RIVER BY AROUND 23/1800Z WITH AN

EVENTUAL TRACK FROM THE LOWER MS VALLEY UP TO THE LOWER GREAT

LAKES THROUGH 25/1200Z. GUIDANCE VARY SOMEWHAT WITH THE INTENSITY

OF THE SURFACE LOW AS IT STRENGTHENS ALONG THE AR/MS/TN BORDER

LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. ON THE DEEPER SIDE ARE THE 00Z ECMWF/UKMET

WHICH SEEMS REASONABLE GIVEN HOW DYNAMIC THE SYSTEM IS. THESE

SOLUTIONS ALSO TRENDED DEEPER BY APPROXIMATELY 3 TO 5 MB. A MORE

STEADY-STATE CENTRAL PRESSURE EVENTUALLY IS ATTAINED AS THE

CIRCULATION BROADENS WITH LATITUDE. AGREEMENT IS BETTER THAN

RECENT DAYS BUT THERE IS SOME SPREAD WORTH MENTIONING. THE 00Z GFS

CONTINUES TO BE A BIT WEST OF THE CONSENSUS WHICH IS ALSO NOTED IN

THE 12Z GEFS MEMBERS ON RECENT ENSEMBLE LOW PLOTS. CURRENTLY THE

GFS SUITE HAS SUPPORT FROM THE 00Z/12Z UKMET WHILE THE MORE

EASTERN 00Z/12Z ECMWF CAMP CONTINUES TO SEE THE 00Z NAM FOLLOW IT.

GIVEN HOW CONSISTENT THE RECENT ECMWF CYCLES HAVE BEEN...WILL

UTILIZE ITS SOLUTION AS A GUIDE AND ADD THE 00Z NAM INTO THE MIX.

So by my count, it's basically the ECMWF/NAM/GEM vs the GFS/UKMET/SREF.

Texting with Gino and I said the same thing basically. Still a very tough forecast for the metro with such a sharp cutoff. Listened in on a WPC conference call tonight regarding their internal snowfall guidance and they were concerned how GFS nudged northwest, but also mentioned Euro and NAM were more southeast. Somewhat surprised the UKMET wasn't mentioned on the call since they do mention it in the PMDHMD discussion.

Looking at the 00z run of the Euro, I'm a bit worried that the obvious convective contamination when low bombs to 978 mb over far northwest MS has implications in following 12 hours. Seemed funky that the sfc low was shunted east so quickly between 36-42 hours based of track of h5 low. Convection could play a role in this setup to very well keep most of the IL metro out of the heaviest snow. But I'm still wondering if the westward trend of UK and GFS is reasonable because dynamic systems like this tend to track more northwest due to big latent heat release that pumps the ridge out ahead more. Also had looked at 700 mb deformation axis 18z GFS earlier at work and it was hinting at a dual band type setup with southern axis tied to strongest fgen but then a northern axis across heart of metro.

Texting with Gino and I said the same thing basically. Still a very tough forecast for the metro with such a sharp cutoff. Listened in on a WPC conference call tonight regarding their internal snowfall guidance and they were concerned how GFS nudged northwest, but also mentioned Euro and NAM were more southeast. Somewhat surprised the UKMET wasn't mentioned on the call since they do mention it in the PMDHMD discussion.

Looking at the 00z run of the Euro, I'm a bit worried that the obvious convective contamination when low bombs to 978 mb over far northwest MS has implications in following 12 hours. Seemed funky that the sfc low was shunted east so quickly between 36-42 hours based of track of h5 low. Convection could play a role in this setup to very well keep most of the IL metro out of the heaviest snow. But I'm still wondering if the westward trend of UK and GFS is reasonable because dynamic systems like this tend to track more northwest due to big latent heat release that pumps the ridge out ahead more. Also had looked at 700 mb deformation axis 18z GFS earlier at work and it was hinting at a dual band type setup with southern axis tied to strongest fgen but then a northern axis across heart of metro.

Yeah, the Euro goes nuts with the sfc low, especially from about the 27-33 hour timeframe.  Missed that when I looked at it earlier.  We've seen the convection thing break both ways so it's really tough to say whether we get a more western or eastern track.  Will be fun watching obs/mesoanalysis as this takes shape down south.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL  242 AM CST TUE FEB 23 2016    ...HEAVY WET WIND DRIVEN SNOW STORM POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY AND  WEDNESDAY NIGHT...    ILZ023-033-039-INZ001-002-010-011-019-231645-  /O.NEW.KLOT.WS.A.0002.160224T1200Z-160225T1000Z/  KANKAKEE-IROQUOIS-FORD-LAKE IN-PORTER-NEWTON-JASPER-BENTON-  INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...KANKAKEE...WATSEKA...PAXTON...GARY...  VALPARAISO...MOROCCO...RENSSELAER...FOWLER  242 AM CST TUE FEB 23 2016 /342 AM EST TUE FEB 23 2016/    ...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH  LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM  WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE  WEDNESDAY NIGHT.     * TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE TUESDAY NIGHT OR EARLY WEDNESDAY    MORNING...POSSIBLY BRIEFLY STARTING AS A MIX OF RAIN OR SLEET.    * MAIN IMPACT...HEAVY WET SNOW WITH LOCALIZED ACCUMULATIONS OVER    6 INCHES POSSIBLE. SNOWFALL TOTALS COULD VARY SUBSTANTIALLY OVER    SHORT DISTANCES WITH SOME AREAS WITHIN THE WATCH POTENTIALLY    SEEING VERY LITTLE SNOW.    * OTHER IMPACTS...STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS WILL GUST TO 40 MPH AT    TIMES. WHERE HEAVY SNOW OCCURS...THIS WILL CREATE A WIND WHIPPED    SNOW THAT COULD REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO NEAR ZERO MAKING TRAVEL    DANGEROUS IF NOT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE AT THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM.    PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...    A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT  SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.  CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.    

IZZI

GRR updated their watch, very strongly worded

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI

353 AM EST TUE FEB 23 2016

MIZ040-045-046-051-052-056>059-064>067-071>074-231700-

/O.CON.KGRR.WS.A.0002.160224T1700Z-160226T0000Z/

CLARE-MECOSTA-ISABELLA-MONTCALM-GRATIOT-OTTAWA-KENT-IONIA-CLINTON-

ALLEGAN-BARRY-EATON-INGHAM-VAN BUREN-KALAMAZOO-CALHOUN-JACKSON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLARE...BIG RAPIDS...MOUNT PLEASANT...

GREENVILLE...ALMA...JENISON...GRAND RAPIDS...IONIA...ST. JOHNS...

HOLLAND...HASTINGS...CHARLOTTE...LANSING...SOUTH HAVEN...

KALAMAZOO...BATTLE CREEK...JACKSON

353 AM EST TUE FEB 23 2016

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* SIX TO NINE INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW POSSIBLE.

* HEAVIEST SNOW WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* STRONG NORTH WIND GUSTS TO 40 MPH.

IMPACTS...

* MAJOR TRAVEL DISRUPTIONS POSSIBLE.

* SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES MAY OCCUR.

* POTENTIAL FOR SCHOOL CLOSURES ON THURSDAY.

* THE SNOW AND WINDS WILL OCCUR OVER A PROLONG PERIOD WHICH COULD

RESULT IN AN EXTENDED PERIOD WITHOUT POWER.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

* AT THIS TIME...HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER IS POSSIBLE BUT NOT

IMMINENT. TRAVEL CONDITIONS MAY DETERIORATE QUICKLY IF

HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER DOES OCCUR...SO IT IS IMPORTANT TO

MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

* WEATHER PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON LINE AT

WWW.READY.GOV/WINTER AND HTTP://GO.USA.GOV/5OG.

&&

$$

Archived