joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/16 President Day Storm Obs

UnionWeatherWx

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During summer the afternoon southerlies shut down the fisheries immediately, we were always told it was a drop in temps According to the captains' license exam, the prevailing coastal winds are NW....at least in the 8o's when my pals took it. Very light fine flakes here.

I could see that for the jersey shore. I side shore wind can cause upwelling. But on the island a southerly afternoon wind especially during the warm season will bring warm surface water.

And ISO is dead on about the ice. Remember the cutter last January after a cold spell? That was a much warmer storm and we had crazy ice on the roads that morning

Don't underestimate the cold ground. We were in the single digits and teens for days

By tomorrow it will not be an issue anywhere within 200 miles of the city

Models continue to be way off showing 2mt cold, I agree that a decent ice event may be in store for some

Im expecting a decent ice event up here. Models always try to warm the surface too quickly up here. Latest HRRR shows a tongue of below freezing surface temps @ 8z funneling down the HV. I never bought into a big plain rain event up here. 

Im expecting a decent ice event up here. Models always try to warm the surface too quickly up here. Latest HRRR shows a tongue of below freezing surface temps @ 8z funneling down the HV. I never bought into a big plain rain event up here. 

I am 30 miles to your NW. Do you think here in Liberty we flip to plain rain too?

When does Middletown and Liberty rise above 32?

I think many areas could be in for quite a significant icing event for these reasons.

1) Although the high is departing, we still have an extremely cold airmass in place with areas N&W of the city still in the teens. Models are almost always too quick to scour out low level cold air in these setups.

2) The warm push at the mid and upper levels can not and will not be denied. It's occurring as we speak which is why we currently have snow falling.

3) The ground is completely frozen, so ice will continue to accumulate even as the surface rises above freezing.

4) The precip is expected to remain light in nature through sunrise which is more favorable for ice accretion. 

Archived