Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February 15-17th Storm Threat

OHweather

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea but that map looks kind of odd.  CMH officially recorded 21"   We were literally the bullseye for that storm, although I think places in Canada might have even done better.  

Sometimes I think we are still paying the price for that one.

I think I remember a few 16-18" reports in a band west of Toronto. Nothing as high as 21" though IIRC. 

I think I remember a few 16-18" reports in a band west of Toronto. Nothing as high as 21" though IIRC.

I think places like Kitchener and Guelph were in the jackpot zone. We could have received those amounts, but we were dry slotted during the midday on the 8th. Toronto got 10-12" in general, except for Pearson, which got 6. LOL. But if this storm materializes as shown on the Euro, Pearson will have no trouble reporting a big amount as the snow will be heavy and wet in nature as opposed to the 2008 storm which contained a lot of wind.

I think places like Kitchener and Guelph were in the jackpot zone. We could have received those amounts, but we were dry slotted during the midday on the 8th. Toronto got 10-12" in general, except for Pearson, which got 6. LOL. But if this storm materializes as shown on the Euro, Pearson will have no trouble reporting a big amount as the snow will be heavy and wet in nature as opposed to the 2008 storm which contained a lot of wind.

I remember. We were ripping nicely during the first wave of snow and then it was about 2-2.5 hours of partial dryslot (I don't think snow ended completely but it was quite light and intermittent). But that was enough to cost us 2-4"+ off our total.

I remember a couple of 16"+ reports out of Brantford and even Woodbridge I think. Just checked Orangeville and they had 16" as well.

20-30" across wny in that storm. One of the best synoptic events I lived through. I remember it so vividly because I got in a really bad car accident during it. Nearly died during that event.

wow.  I was a passenger in a car that got into an accident in a whiteout in the Jan 26/78 storm too.  Couldn't see a thing in the heavy snow and wind.   We were lucky it wasn't bad. 

yea but that map looks kind of odd.  CMH officially recorded 21"   We were literally the bullseye for that storm, although I think places in Canada might have even done better.  

Sometimes I think we are still paying the price for that one.

I think the NOHRSC mapping system has some weird contours when the snow reports lacking a storm total snowfall. If one storm spotter in Columbus reported 10", and didn't update the storm total to 20" in Columbus, then the mapping system has to contour that spot closer to 10" than 20".

0z suite hasn't been great but just slightly more amplification in either the 0z GFS or the 0z GGEM and we'd have something to talk about. Also, the 0z GEFS snowfall maps that Geos posted in the clipper thread show another jump in amounts from the 18z suite. A number are substantial hits. So, while I'm still of the mind that this is unlikely to happen, it's not time to throw in the towel.

0z suite hasn't been great but just slightly more amplification in either the 0z GFS or the 0z GGEM and we'd have something to talk about. Also, the 0z GEFS snowfall maps that Geos posted in the clipper thread show another jump in amounts from the 18z suite. A number are substantial hits. So, while I'm still of the mind that this is unlikely to happen, it's not time to throw in the towel.

00z gefs are west of the op. Also, anecdotally, this was the timeframe that the models suddenly shifted the late January storm way south. So there's your glass half full.

Archived