• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 15-17th Storm Threat

OHweather

I could see some concern over ice for you Kentucky guys with this week's cold air mass freezing everything prior to the storm.

That's my concern. This run still gives me 6-8 inches of snow, I just wonder how much freezing rain or sleet is mixed in with that total.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. The trend has been for these storms to track just south of me. Louisville missed the big one the rest of the state got a few weeks ago.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at 120 it has two low centers, one in WV and the other in NC, I'm not sure if it's trying to redevelop on the coast but it all ends up as a strong low in nc PA.

probably important to note the euro shifted 300 miles with the snow axis in one model run.  Either it sniffed out something or was sniffing something.

Yes, but other than last night's 0Z run it had snow in our neck of the woods for a couple run before that.

Yes, but other than last night's 0Z run it had snow in our neck of the woods for a couple run before that.

I don't mean to sound too pessimistic, I just try to figure out everything that can possibly go wrong so at least if I'm disappointed, it's not a surprise lol.

I feel a lot better about us not getting totally whiffed anymore, but  when the model swings like that, it usually corrects back.  So I think the solution will be closer to the ggem, but still further nw.  Which actually could be a good thing.

fwliw, jb says the euro is on crack, (of course it screws state college too).   Says the analog is a blend of 75%  Dec 26/27 2012 and 25% March 3-4 1994.  

I remember that December storm.  Blizzard watches were issued for western OH and southern IN but I don't think a blizzard realized for them.  We wasted a lot of precip in the first several hours as a wintry slop but ended up with about 4 or 5".   I don't recall March 3-4 1994, but I checked and it was a total whiff to the east of OH.

I don't mean to sound too pessimistic, I just try to figure out everything that can possibly go wrong so at least if I'm disappointed, it's not a surprise lol.

I feel a lot better about us not getting totally whiffed anymore, but  when the model swings like that, it usually corrects back.  So I think the solution will be closer to the ggem, but still further nw.  Which actually could be a good thing.

You could say the same thing about last night's euro run vs. yesterday's 12z run. Now it has corrected back to the 12z run. 

12z Euro looks like it hammers Ohio.

The 12z Euro predicts 0.375" of rain in 3 hours in Columbus, then change to snow. If the situation is a little colder, then Columbus would get all snow. There's a chance that the jackpot zone could go from Columbus to Toronto. I don't know though-- it seems that the models are still fighting about the prediction of this storm.

The 12z Euro predicts 0.375" of rain in 3 hours in Columbus, then change to snow. If the situation is a little colder, then Columbus would get all snow. There's a chance that the jackpot zone could go from Columbus to Toronto. I don't know though-- it seems that the models are still fighting about the prediction of this storm.

that explains why the qpf seemed sig higher than the snowfall totals.   When I saw the qpf before the snow map I was expecting to see close to 20" depicted.    I figured there must have been some mixing issues in there.

seriously pulling for you buckeye but i'd lol if you ended up getting rain

hell I wouldn't blame you, how ironic would that be considering the last two OV big dogs  whiffed us to the southeast and locked in 5 days out with not so much as a tease of ever trending nw.   I think I'd just have to laugh too....what else can you do, (other than drink).

hell I wouldn't blame you, how ironic would that be considering the last two OV big dogs  whiffed us to the southeast and locked in 5 days out with not so much as a tease of ever trending nw.   I think I'd just have to laugh too....what else can you do, (other than drink).

No doubt! I personally think there is a better chance of getting rain vs. a whiff to the south and east with this.

No doubt! I personally think there is a better chance of getting rain vs. a whiff to the south and east with this.

there's about 5 possible outcomes.   Only 1 is good, 4 are bad.   A stronger low and WTOD is definitely in the cards with that high exiting due east, but strictly anecdotal and just going with what this winter has been giving us, I think southeast with a weaker low is still our biggest bust threat.   If the euro had been creeping nw with each model run, I'd give today's 12z more cred....but jumping 300 miles to that solution in one model run kind of makes me suspicious.   It also has that funky solution of a strong primary to WV in tandem with an equally strong low to NC.    Without a strong block in place you would think this would be a one low situation instead of a redevelopment or a dual low.   But what the hell do I know. :lol: ....except now I'm sucked into this damn thing.

Sad thing is the models have also been trending more ragged with the northern stream portion of the storm. QPF around here keeps getting lighter. At one point it looked like a nice "plan-B" in case a bigger storm failed to develop.

btw...the squall in your avatar...what event is that from? December 2013?

Yup!

gfs has a nice track but it's incredibly stingy with the cold sector precip.   If the gfs is correct, the winner's lane will only be a couple of counties wide

Open wave at H5, barely closes it off at H7. Yeah, not much of an expansive deformation zone to the NW of the track. But it's a good trend. I'm thinking the 18z GEFS will have a couple of monster members for us.

Archived