Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th Monster Ocean storm obs and hallucinations

Bostonseminole

Wow, no wind? Looks awesome.

Not a puff. Pretty interesting event from the standpoint that it wasn't orographic in nature, the higher up you went the more snow that fell because of the lack of dry air. The precip shield was fairly uniform, as shown by radar but going up 3,000ft into the cloud deck was enough to take 1" of very small dendrites (dried out dendrites) at 750ft, to flakes 3-4 times larger and much more efficient accumulators.

It was cool to see as it's like those virga storms where it's snowing steadily just off the deck at 4000ft but struggling to saturate to the surface. And well, the top of the mountain was in the thick of it with 4" while the incredible SFC dry air limited under 1,000ft to an inch.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a puff. Pretty interesting event from the standpoint that it wasn't orographic in nature, the higher up you went the more snow that fell because of the lack of dry air. The precip shield was fairly uniform, as shown by radar but going up 3,000ft into the cloud deck was enough to take 1" of very small dendrites (dried out dendrites) at 750ft, to flakes 3-4 times larger and much more efficient accumulators.

It was cool to see as it's like those virga storms where it's snowing steadily just off the deck at 4000ft but struggling to saturate to the surface. And well, the top of the mountain was in the thick of it with 4" while the incredible SFC dry air limited under 1,000ft to an inch.

That's really interesting. At least the mtn got some snow. Good for the skiing.

Here is the CT map i promised. The 8.2" in Promfret looks suspect but it's from a trained spotter so i included it. I tried not to include CT DOT totals if i could help it because they do not measure snow properly at all from my understanding...measuring on pavement and adding up new measurements every couple hours.

Verification underneath.

Any issues pm me and ill fix them.

post-12274-0-14039500-1455080899_thumb.j

post-12274-0-69794700-1455080906_thumb.j

Here is the CT map i promised. The 8.2" in Promfret looks suspect but it's from a trained spotter so i included it. I tried not to include CT DOT totals if i could help it because they do not measure snow properly at all from my understanding...measuring on pavement and adding up new measurements every couple hours.

Verification underneath.

Any issues pm me and ill fix them.

Danbury dot always ducks up measurememts. I've looked at a bunch of past pns reports and in general, totals are off around the state.

Once my wife and I buy a home and weenie Jr is born, I'm gonna become a trained spotter and slant stick my way to being the Lunenburg of CT.

Fairly under whelming here. Short duration blizzard conditions. 7 inches total. 0.90 swe. There was some ice pellet/heavy riming at the tail end of the storm. Finished off with zd. Very typical in st. Johns.

Wow, not a whole lot better(about an inch more) than CT on this one. Thought you'd do a whole lot better than 7 inches. How did Nova Scotia do..better?

Wow, not a whole lot better(about an inch more) than CT on this one. Thought you'd do a whole lot better than 7 inches. How did Nova Scotia do..better?

46cms (18")at the airport and in Sydney Cape Breton. Most locals reporting 8"+. Western Nlfd probably did good as well. Nick was on the warmer side.

Even the euro over did precip. The 12z run from 18 hours before the storm started had 1.2 qpf.

The mesos also hit orographic enhancement too hard i think. Also ratios were poor with very strong winds and riming...maybe some ip too.

Archived