• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GHD III Winter Storm February 1st-3rd (Part 2)

Powerball

Haven't measured total depth in awhile, but if I'd have to guess its around 24" inches total. With this heavy garbage on top, probably 27" to 29" by morning. Hopefully we won't get too much rain if it switches over. 

Wow I am a little surprised you have a higher snow depth than even my area, I am around 22-24"

Picked up about what was forcasted imby about 5-6, some areas did bust really bad especially Central/Eastern UP

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chitown not surprised with this at all. Look at the Minnesota Forecaster site.  I'm randyinchamplin there. Used Vorticity Advection for my forecast and rode it hard.

http://www.minnesotaforecaster.com/

wow, 7.5" in 5 hours is hard to do. In some impressive upslope hours yesterday, my area got 6"-7" in the 7:00 to 2:00 or 3:00AM time frame (7 hours, maybe 8 hours)

Des Moines was supposed to be on the southern edge of the snow (as of the last 1 or 2 days of modeling) and you know that always is a bad position-- somehow there's a northwest shift in snow (or cold sector precip) with many storms.

Poor Des Moines has continued to get tormented all evening as that little deformation band of moderate snow pivots just to their north and west.

Hastings & Grand Island, NE broke some records today. That area got drilled.

1001 PM HEAVY SNOW HASTINGS NWS OFFICE 40.65N 98.38W
02/02/2016 M 15.7 INCH ADAMS NE OFFICIAL NWS OBS

THIS IS THE FINAL...OFFICIAL NWS STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL FOR
HASTINGS. FOURTH HIGHEST TWO-DAY SNOW TOTAL ON RECORD.

1001 PM HEAVY SNOW GRAND ISLAND AIRPORT 40.97N 98.32W
02/02/2016 M 18.3 INCH HALL NE OFFICIAL NWS OBS

THIS IS THE FINAL...OFFICIAL NWS STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL FOR
GRAND ISLAND. SECOND HIGHEST TWO-DAY SNOWFALL TOTAL ON
RECORD.

Is it just me or is Sioux City always in the cross hairs of about everything? Severe weather included. I'm sure it's just how it seems, but damn they seem to get some weather out there.

They seem like the winter Madison of a few years ago, and with regards to severe, they always seem to have something nearby of note. Let's pull it on east. :)

When did the models (hi-res models, globals) pick up on the shift towards over 6" in the MSP metro area?

They never did. for some reason they did not correctly responded to the strong vorticity that the euro was showing  at 300mb.. Even the Euro itself did not show the 700 frotogensises (sp) .  What happens in the upper layers  the lower levels need to responed

Approximately 6 inches of total snowfall in Rogers City, measured earlier this morning. This stuff so heavy and sloppy. Light drizzle going on right now, but radar indicates that will be evacuating very soon. Once it cools back down this evening, this stuff is going to harden like concrete. Hopefully people shovel while the shoveling is good, if not RIP. lol. 

The storm seemed to be a large underperformer with a few exceptions. Minneapolis was certainly due for a decent snowstorm but I'm disappointed the UP didn't score better. 

And LOL. Every rain system this winter has busted imby. Not complaining as I hate winter rain. But like clockwork, our few snow systems performed as expected and the rain ones all bust. After a rush hour downpour yesterday evening (0.41") we got NO rain overnight! It was supposed to pour all night, gfs spitting out qpf in the 1.5-2" range :lol:

The storm seemed to be a large underperformer with a few exceptions. Minneapolis was certainly due for a decent snowstorm but I'm disappointed the UP didn't score better. 

And LOL. Every rain system this winter has busted imby. Not complaining as I hate winter rain. But like clockwork, our few snow systems performed as expected and the rain ones all bust. After a rush hour downpour yesterday evening (0.41") we got NO rain overnight! It was supposed to pour all night, gfs spitting out qpf in the 1.5-2" range  :lol:

lol...expert timing.

Yeah, when I saw the ENE trajectory of the WCB slug of showers/tsra over the OV late last evening, I knew we're in trouble. Oh well, at least it was rain and not snow.

lol...expert timing.

Yeah, when I saw the ENE trajectory of the WCB slug of showers/tsra over the OV late last evening, I knew we're in trouble. Oh well, at least it was rain and not snow.

Great minds....:lol:

Jokes aside...winter rain has been nearly non existent the last few winters, and snowstorms have been over performing like crazy here. I was starting to think model qpf biases toned down, but now I'm wondering if it was just another perfection of our amazing winters...and a sign that the next big snowstorm that shows up...cool it with the QPF and extrapolating.

Still snowing here. Another band just developed to the west. Looks like a solid 12"+ with drifts well over 24".

It won't die....the snow falling right now looks like lake effect. Big fluffy flakes.  A solid 8-12" across much of the metro...MSP sitting at 9.2" as of 6am

I've had 8.7" so far.  still snowing with 3-5" more today.  west half of the UP did ok with some 10" amounts far west. Eastern UP didn't get much more than few inches. Inching towards 3' depth.

Was really hoping St. Ignace would do well... Less trailering.

Archived