joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of 2016 - Official Obs Thread

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have heard/seen a couple pine branches snapping off. I'm not quite sure how to measure freezing rain, since most of it is obvious on the trees and shrubs more so than on the flat surfaces with the pounding 32 degree rain. I'm guessing 0.2"zr. All the shrubs are sagging, pine boughs are bending, Crape Myrtles are curtsying, icicles dripping off the porch railings, some as much as 4" long. Lights have flickered a few times. Duke Energy is reporting almost 63K 66K+ w/o power.

27.3° light sleet zr mix right now.  I just got back from a drive and taking some pics.  Roads completely covered and even saw a pine tree that had uprooted and fell onto a house.  That last batch that moved through was like a squall line.  Possibly thunder sleet when I was inside lowes.  Heard a rumble inside and several others though it was thunder.

It is literally pouring sleet like a random pop up thundershower in the summer pours rain out of nowhere.  I knew something was about to pop after I heard that thunder. Legit thunder sleet is crazy.

yes!  it seems like the next several hours in this area may be a bit different from the usual winter storm.  if the electricity stays on, we will be able to see the radar/satellite changes that occur, otherwise be able to check back in a few days to this thread at least..!

He just now tweeted again

This could be the type of night you go out this evening and see blue flashes from transformers blowing up. Was like that in Feb 96 ice storm

How do you measure ice anyway? Do you take a ruler like you do snow? At least that is how I do it. Does't seem there is an accurate way to measure ice.

http://www.cocorahs.org/Media/Training/Training_IceAccreation.html

People in Raleigh who have lost power...how far south are you? We are in NW Wake about five miles from the Durham County line but I'm getting really nervous now.

That worries me in Cary too now if it's not that far away. Haven't seen the trees sagging here really, but am certainly concerned that might not be too far off.

Archived