• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Storm Banter & Complaint Thread, Jan 22-23

No snow for you

Lost power for a few hours last night but otherwise I've got nothing to complain about - 4 times out of 5 my area is gonna get more sleet/freezing rain than expected so while it's awesome to get that one storm that over-performs with snow, we average the amount of snow we do for a reason.  Hard to argue with the beauty of seeing your little world covered in ice through a filter of light snow, you know?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guy in my apartment complex has been revving the hell out of his truck for the last half our trying to get unstuck from our sloped, untreated access road. I have no idea what the revving is supposed to accomplish, but I suppose it's free entertainment.

(Durham Southpoint, nice and iced up, a couple of people have tried escaping our apt complex and all have failed. No idea what might even be open that they are desperately trying to get to.)

Loving our dusting in Martinez! Not too much, but it's covering the ground (and the car)! For maybe just one person, this storm delivered exactly what was forecast - dusting to a 1/2".

Shawn may be pleased this morning...

Not bad by any means.  About what I expected.. limited moisture.. couldn't get very big flakes out this way.  Elevated surface accumulation etc.

Glad Stormsfury got to see some frozen stuff all the way down to his area.

One day our luck will turn around and the MA and NE crew will be looking down with envy. We can't continue this track record of getting mixed storms after not having a pure powder storm with a strong high outside of the mountains in seriously almost 15 years. The last time I can remember a big snow for NC that didn't start or mix with rain, sleet, or freezing rain was February 2004.

One day our luck will turn around and the MA and NE crew will be looking down with envy. We can't continue this track record of getting mixed storms after not having a pure powder storm with a strong high outside of the mountains in seriously almost 15 years. The last time I can remember a big snow for NC that didn't start or mix with rain, sleet, or freezing rain was February 2004.

we will get ours.  my gut tells me we get a big dog in feb.  i want a storm like this one for the MA, modeled 6 days out, no temp issues and just a crushjob for hours on end.

Not bad by any means.  About what I expected.. limited moisture.. couldn't get very big flakes out this way.  Elevated surface accumulation etc.

Glad Stormsfury got to see some frozen stuff all the way down to his area.

All said and done we ended up with .75" here. I believe .7" was locally forecast. I'd lowered my expectations to 0", so can't complain!

Thoughts on next week? Looks too warm for us.

If I came on here and said "Wow, this sure has been an crappy blizzard.", would I be wrong? The media has badly overused the word "blizzard" when describing this storm.

What did you end up with out in Sanford? Have some friends up there and wife went up a few days ago as well to visit. Now she's trying to decide if she should come home this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon.

We live just south of CLT so it's a long drive. 421 to 85 up by you to get here, then 485 down here.

Anyone in the Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury, Kannapolis, and north CLT near University area as well with any input on road conditions would be great since all those places got varying amounts and types.

I'm guessing by this afternoon things might be ok, but it's 153 miles. So any accident or bad conditions could make that a very long drive.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

This was a bust...didn't get mail yesterday. Not surprising as on a good day I never know who's mail I'm going to get.

I was surprised they suspended the Mail yesterday. I can't really a time when they have done that. I know they have the carriers out today.

If I came on here and said "Wow, this sure has been an crappy blizzard.", would I be wrong? The media has badly overused the word "blizzard" when describing this storm.

Maybe in NC, there was no blizzard, but Washington D.C., Baltimore to through NYC has been getting hit VERY hard. Some of the rates in the early morning hours were insane for those areas, not to mention the winds up there are bad. Near whiteout conditions. I wouldn't really say this storm has been overblown. It's a full blown blizzard for those areas. NYC is getting more snowed than they were progged just a day or two ago. The storm just tilted in their favor more than it tilted in ours. Oh well.

All said and done we ended up with .75" here. I believe .7" was locally forecast. I'd lowered my expectations to 0", so can't complain!

Thoughts on next week? Looks too warm for us.

Warm, but idea on the table from ensembles.  Need better cold though, I don't like these marginal events.  The last good event many of us around I-20 had was in Feb. of 2010.

What did you end up with out in Sanford? Have some friends up there and wife went up a few days ago as well to visit. Now she's trying to decide if she should come home this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon.

We live just south of CLT so it's a long drive. 421 to 85 up by you to get here, then 485 down here.

Anyone in the Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury, Kannapolis, and north CLT near University area as well with any input on road conditions would be great since all those places got varying amounts and types.

I'm guessing by this afternoon things might be ok, but it's 153 miles. So any accident or bad conditions could make that a very long drive.

Try googling "(city name) traffic cams", I was able to get to within a mile of my house, although I am admittedly in the triangle.

Warm, but idea on the table from ensembles.  Need better cold though, I don't like these marginal events.  The last good event many of us around I-20 had was in Feb. of 2010.

We all remember Feb 2010! :D I was in Illinois at the time. One word: thundersnow. And about 14 inches with it. Probably should have parked the car at the end of the driveway for that one rather than in the garage behind the house.

Edit: or was that Feb 2011...

Try googling "(city name) traffic cams", I was able to get to within a mile of my house, although I am admittedly in the triangle.

Yea I've looked and found some good areas and bad. But looking up 153 miles worth of traffic cams might take a while haha!

Was hoping a few would chime in with what they've seen or heard for their areas. It won't take much for her to stay put. I would be fine driving right now if I had to but she won't risk it.

Yea I've looked and found some good areas and bad. But looking up 153 miles worth of traffic cams might take a while haha!

Was hoping a few would chime in with what they've seen or heard for their areas. It won't take much for her to stay put. I would be fine driving right now if I had to but she won't risk it.

Maybe try the "waze" app. It's Google maps but with a social media component where people report on conditions as they are traveling.

Poor DT....he has to bust along with the rest of us. Dont get me wrong, I am cool with my 4-5" of whatever it is in the triad. But thats a long way from a foot and all the hype leading up to this event. We've all been here before and had those crushing last minute defeats (I'm a Bengals fan folks, I can take it) but I sure would like to know why the short range models as well as the Euro and GFS didnt seem to pick up on the strength and duration of the warm nose. NAM scored the win from 48-72 out IMO. Looking forward to learning from the post event insights.

And we're on to next week!

Yeah, and some are going to say we were hugging the snowiest model or whatever, but RAH had forecasted 6-10"+ immediately before the storm, too. It is what it is, though. It was fun.

Archived