joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to argue about probabilities when there has literally been one snowstorm all winter and it only narrowly missed the northern part of the region. It's not like storm after storm has missed us. The general pattern has not been conducive to snow no matter where one resides.

True, but we have been in a prolonged multi year pattern that has favored coastal snow vs interior snow, even though we have had good snowpack the last two winters just due to mere frequency of storms those years. I am just waiting for the coin to flip to an interior snow jackpot pattern.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

True, but we have been in a prolonged multi year pattern that has favored coastal snow vs interior snow, even though we have had good snowpack the last two winters just due to mere frequency of storms those years. I am just waiting for the coin to flip to an interior snow jackpot pattern.

We'll always have Paris October 2011

If you're feeling snakebitten, you should probably steer clear of todays Euro. Nonetheless, good to see a threat emerging on most of the models in the 2/8-9 time frame. 

If you're feeling snakebitten, you should probably steer clear of todays Euro. Nonetheless, good to see a threat emerging on most of the models in the 2/8-9 time frame.

Yes, I think the potential is high. We should never take models literally from this far out... Easier said than done. The larger synoptics and teleconnections look favorable for now as we will be right on the boundary between large temperature differences. Just need good timing and track for pieces of energy to spin something up.

Kind of a shaft here compared to the higher elevations of duchess. Maybe 10" where I think millbrook had almost 20

The 21" Millbrook total has always struck me as a bit suspect. That was one of my last storms before I decided to get serious about snowfall records, so I only measured once when the snow stopped falling, and it was 14". Now, given how ridiculously dense the snowfall was, my 14" would have gone up with six-hourly measurements, but not by an enormous amount - it wasn't a particularly long-lived storm.

The 21" Millbrook total has always struck me as a bit suspect. That was one of my last storms before I decided to get serious about snowfall records, so I only measured once when the snow stopped falling, and it was 14". Now, given how ridiculously dense the snowfall was, my 14" would have gone up with six-hourly measurements, but not by an enormous amount - it wasn't a particularly long-lived storm.

. not used anymore and glad they are stopping it. wish others would follows so the public amounts arent inflated and more in line with nws and cocorahs reports . cocorahs is now using the new(old) nws way which was used years ago. the wiping clean inflates totals to much

http://cocorahs.org/...ringSnow2.1.pdf

Well then my total for the last storm would have ended up more like ~5-10" rather than the 15 I came up with measuring(in a couple of different spots) at about 6 hour intervals.  Between settling and the outrageous wind that blew whole areas of my property clean in the early and middle parts of the storm if I had only measured once there is no way I could have gotten a decent measurement.  The area where I had set up a snow board only had 2"  :whistle:

Well then my total for the last storm would have ended up more like ~5-10" rather than the 15 I came up with measuring(in a couple of different spots) at about 6 hour intervals. Between settling and the outrageous wind that blew whole areas of my property clean in the early and middle parts of the storm if I had only measured once there is no way I could have gotten a decent measurement. The area where I had set up a snow board only had 2" :whistle:

Don't feel bad, you're not the only one who wasn't measuring properly, there's thousands of others...

Some nice hits on both the GFS and Euro ensembles for the period early next week. They seem to be favoring the interior for more significant snows. I think we get a better idea how it might play out once the storm in the midwest clears the region over the next day or so. 

How did the Euro Op look for the early week timeframe?

I swear my grass is a hint greener this morning.

That's one thing that has really struck me about this winter, the grass is so green. It's greener than I remember it being in 2012.

Euro OP showed a decent hit for the day 7 system with a coastal hugger. Ensembles have a similar signal with about half of the members showing at least a couple inches of snow, though there is definitely a left leaning group that would translate to an inland runner and congrats BGM. Lots of time to watch this one evolve. Potential is there. Still looking like this cool down will be rather transient though.

That's one thing that has really struck me about this winter, the grass is so green. It's greener than I remember it being in 2012.

Euro OP showed a decent hit for the day 7 system with a coastal hugger. Ensembles have a similar signal with about half of the members showing at least a couple inches of snow, though there is definitely a left leaning group that would translate to an inland runner and congrats BGM. Lots of time to watch this one evolve. Potential is there. Still looking like this cool down will be rather transient though.

Hope thats not thay bad although be careful what you wish for I guess...if it was truly a Hudson Valley jackpot storm though I could imagine seeing a few big wound up inland ensembles way out in advance as well as some out east a week out. That's what it seemed like was missing with total whiffs and fringe jobs like Nemo, Juno, and Jonas. I'm mostly just referring to SWF, POU and NW. A big giant BGM jackpot such as March 2011 would be bad after those though.

Compared to OTS yesterday and still being 6 days out?

Not to mention euro shows interior hit for plenty

I have lost total confidence in the Euro and Miller Bs almost always give NE/ENE the goods. What we need is a coastal hugger or a SWFE with a transfer near S NJ. I miss the days when the dry slot reached LI. Thats long gone 

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived