joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those noaa depth maps are pretty inaccurate and last year we had no snow on the ground until 1-24 then missed the blizzard but had a great early February. This year just feels less wintry tho for some reason and up north ski country last year got hammered pretty good early season in November and December which did not happen this year

Those noaa depth maps are pretty inaccurate and last year we had no snow on the ground until 1-24 then missed the blizzard but had a great early February. This year just feels less wintry tho for some reason and up north ski country last year got hammered pretty good early season in November and December which did not happen this year

There's a good reason for that. We just had the warmest December in history by 7 degrees. This past Decembers temperatures would not have qualified as a top 3 coldest October. The average temperature in December was within 2 degrees of the average April temperatures in these parts. And on and on, please God never again.

It's officially snowing harder now than it did at any point last weekend, lol.

This winter has been a total buzzkill for my skating rink. I wasn't even going to put it up because of the long range forecasts, but this would have been the first year with a net cost of $0 (minus $20 for filling), so I decided to anyways. I've had it up about 3 weeks it's been unusable at least half of the time. Last year, over a 10 week span, there was probably only 2 or 3 days that I couldn't use it. 

This may end up becoming a good period for you guys . There is plenty of ridging on the EC . The MJO going into 4- 5 - 6 promote it .

Also the PV will be sitting over HB so arctic air will be the dominant story between the 5th - 20 th 

The mean storm track will still up the EC .  1 of these will end up being a hugger .

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

gfs_z500a_sd_us_43.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_43.png

50 miles SE would do it, we have 11 days to make it happen.  See what you can do PB.  

In the meantime I think I'll enjoy saving some heating oil the next few days.

And if nothing else, we can rest easy with the knowledge that a storm that big will generate its own cold air.

Or something along those lines.

I've always thought that happens because the storm is vertically stacked and pulls the cold air down from the upper levels of the atmosphere. I hate the term generates its own...

Yeah I think it was called dynamic cooling if I remember from intro to met class. IIRC it happens when the low gets really wound up. I remember from way back it being a factor in the early 2000s when the older models like the NGM often were wrong with the pressure of the storm. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Just found out from the met 101 section its from cooling due to vertical motion. So you were closer to begin with lol my bad

^^ Yeah but we only need 'cold enough' to get a decent storm in Feb.  I really don't want another month like Feb last year.

Yeah I think it was called dynamic cooling if I remember from intro to met class. IIRC it happens when the low gets really wound up. I remember from way back it being a factor in the early 2000s when the older models like the NGM often were wrong with the pressure of the storm. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Just found out from the met 101 section its from cooling due to vertical motion. So you were closer to begin with lol my bad

Same here, was 30 years ago that I last took a formal met class.  Since then it's been accumulating real world knowledge.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived