• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

Where are you geographically that you were shafted by the Feb 26 2010 storm. I'm in eastern Orange County in highland mills and I received 35 inches from that storm. Are you east of the Hudson ? As I remember that was pretty much the scroo you zone. Danbury was like 8 inches and I believe Boston had all rain. That's my second favorite storm all time behind Jan 96.

I was living in Highland Mills in 96.. We got hit pretty good there. As for the snowicane, Other than the higher terrain of the Catskills, O.C jacked for that event. Widespread 28-36" amounts throughout the county

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup about 10miles east of the Hudson mixed for hours on hours probably had 8-10" slop while beacon got 20-24". How much did you get in 96?

1996 is still my all time favorite. We received 33 inches. The snowicane did top it by 2 inches but duration, the temperatures which were mostly high single digits throughout and we had about a foot on the ground before it began. Just the icing on an incredible winter. I recorded 110 inches of snow that winter.

1996 is still my all time favorite. We received 33 inches. The snowicane did top it by 2 inches but duration, the temperatures which were mostly high single digits throughout and we had about a foot on the ground before it began. Just the icing on an incredible winter. I recorded 110 inches of snow that winter.

that's awesome Orange County seems to be a good spot and 96 is the benchmark winter for most on the east

As far as snow totals 96 is but the complete loss of the snow pack in late January totally sucked. I'm a big fan of 93-94.

True about the late January snow pack. That freak mild rain storm in an otherwise perfect pattern. The snow pack did build again soon after that. February, March and even that first week of April snow storm made that winter endless.

93-94 very close for me. A ton of snow and an ice box winter. The only time I've experienced -20 temperatures anywhere. I took a picture of my thermometer the coldest morning when it hit -23. I still have it saved. Wife thinks I'm nuts.

As far as snow totals 96 is but the complete loss of the snow pack in late January totally sucked. I'm a big fan of 93-94.

True about the late January snow pack. That freak mild rain storm in an otherwise perfect pattern. The snow pack did build again soon after that. February, March and even that first week of April snow storm made that winter endless.

93-94 very close for me. A ton of snow and an ice box winter. The only time I've experienced -20 temperatures anywhere. I took a picture of my thermometer the coldest morning in January when it hit -23. I still have it saved. Wife thinks I'm nuts.

Anyone know how the 93 superstorm was in this area?

That's a storm thats fuzzy for me.  I was a junior in college, my son was 6 months old and I was working in the cash office of Price Chopper.  I remember working a crazy number of hours that week including until 2am that Saturday morning only to go back in at 6:30am and worked till about 2pm.  I drove home in blizzard conditions in a Chevy Corsica, no 4wd there, that car was great in the snow.  When I got home I basically passed out and slept through much of the storm.  I remember getting a good amount of sleet in the evening in New Windsor where I lived at the time.  I want to say it was around 18" total but I didn't keep decent records then so I can't refer back to anything.   

Well I took a 10 min drive north & south. The differences were remarkable. On the north end of my travels I was on Ingrassia rd near where it intersects 211. There was less than 0.5" on the ground. South side travels took me 1 mile south on Rt 284 from Lime Kiln Rd ( Slate Hill/Minisink border). There was roughly 6" otg. Just about 9 miles separates bare ground from a winter wonderland. 

post-460-0-21619700-1453753248_thumb.jpg

post-460-0-40479400-1453753257_thumb.jpg

Well I took a 10 min drive north & south. The differences were remarkable. On the north end of my travels I noticed on Ingrassia rd near where it intersects 211 there is less than 1" on the ground. South side travels took me 1 mile south on Rt 284 from Lime Kiln Rd ( Slate Hill/Minisink border). There was roughly 6" otg

The sun and sublimation decimated my snow pack yesterday, the only retainage is in the shady areas.  

That's a storm thats fuzzy for me. I was a junior in college, my son was 6 months old and I was working in the cash office of Price Chopper. I remember working a crazy number of hours that week including until 2am that Saturday morning only to go back in at 6:30am and worked till about 2pm. I drove home in blizzard conditions in a Chevy Corsica, no 4wd there, that car was great in the snow. When I got home I basically passed out and slept through much of the storm. I remember getting a good amount of sleet in the evening in New Windsor where I lived at the time. I want to say it was around 18" total but I didn't keep decent records then so I can't refer back to anything.

I lived in new Windsor also at the time in butter hill. It was 18 inches of snow followed by 3-4 inches of pure sleet. It was the most strenuous shoveling I've ever done in my life. 21-22 inch total but the sleet layer made it unbelievably heavy.

I lived in new Windsor also at the time in butter hill. It was 18 inches of snow followed by 3-4 inches of pure sleet. It was the most strenuous shoveling I've ever done in my life. 21-22 inch total but the sleet layer made it unbelievably heavy.

That must be about what I had as I lived just up 94 from there near the intersection of 9W, behind New Windsor School.

I remember riding my bike where Butterhill Estates is located, before they built the houses.

At first they put in roads in the front & left the back alone back it was one big sand pit there.  Just like beach sand.

Sure, rub it in, ya jerk!  :pimp:

Lol.. This winter sucks! 

I highly doubt we go all off February and March without a decent storm. I would bet on having at least 1 6"+ event

I hope its 70's and dry from here on out. Im so done with this winter. Its mind boggling how nonexistent snow has been from our area NE through SNE & NNE. NYC has more snow than most ski resorts in NE. 

That must be about what I had as I lived just up 94 from there near the intersection of 9W, behind New Windsor School.

Playing baseball, as a kid, was great at the back of New Windsor School.    The school wall used to be our Fenway Park Green Monster.

One time I found a golf ball in the grass in the outfield during a pickup baseball game we were playing with kids from around the area.   I got my baseball bat & told everybody "Watch this!!!" and, while standing about 15 yards from the wall, I uppercutted a swing & smashed the ball.   Well, it must have hit an edge in the brick because it came right back & hit me in the temple.   I had a mark on my head for a good 6-8 weeks after that.   ...and, yes, I dont remember it hitting me, I was knocked out.  When I opened my eyes, all the kids were around me looking down at me.    A stupid move on my part, it would have been great if the ball did slam off the wall and went all the way across the field, instead of my temple, but, I guess it makes for a good story now looking back on it.   LOL

seriously though, I was an inch from losing an eye.

I remember riding my bike where Butterhill Estates is located, before they built the houses.

At first they put in roads in the front & left the back alone back it was one big sand pit there.  Just like beach sand.

True story, I remember the sand pits there.

Lol.. This winter sucks! 

I hope its 70's and dry from here on out. Im so done with this winter. Its mind boggling how nonexistent snow has been from our area NE through SNE & NNE. NYC has more snow than most ski resorts in NE. 

Yeah, I wanna pull my outdoor speakers out of the basement and get back to drinking in the yard.  Lets do this.

Playing baseball, as a kid, was great at the back of New Windsor School.    The school wall used to be our Fenway Park Green Monster.

One time I found a golf ball in the grass in the outfield during a pickup baseball game we were playing with kids from around the area.   I got my baseball bat & told everybody "Watch this!!!" and, while standing about 15 yards from the wall, I uppercutted a swing & smashed the ball.   Well, it must have hit an edge in the brick because it came right back & hit me in the temple.   I had a mark on my head for a good 6-8 weeks after that.   ...and, yes, I dont remember it hitting me, I was knocked out.  When I opened my eyes, all the kids were around me looking down at me.    A stupid move on my part, it would have been great if the ball did slam off the wall and went all the way across the field, instead of my temple, but, I guess it makes for a good story now looking back on it.   LOL

YES!  Great memories of that wall, nothing was better than launching a home run shot over the wall and onto the roof, unless that was your last ball.  Some people I may or may not know may or may not have climbed up on the roof to retrieve said balls.  On the hill behind the old section of the school we would build a bobsled track, if you missed the last turn you'd fly right into that chain link fence.  More that one kid not only hit that fence but blew right underneath it.  Its amazing that no one ever broke anything or needed stitches.  

I can totally picture that happening to me.  Before the other kids realized you were actually damaged they must have been hysterical.

I was actually hoping for it to warm back up and see if we could go a winter without snow before this storm.  If it were to end up like 11/12 and we only got the one storm that would be ok too but only if it warms up, if it's gonna be cold it might as well snow.  The banks along my driveway are over the roof of my BRZ  ^_^

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived