• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 Winter Storm Event..."The Middle Tennessee Mauler"

Carvers Gap

Seems like the RGEM did well with todays system. Hope it's onto something for this one

The EPS nailed it.  Euro op as well!  Good signs for the weekend.  Mark Reynolds for WJHL up here just used these words...heavy snow, 1-2' possibility, all snow for NE TN w/ only mild warming mid-day, 15-17" some models, more than a foot.  He is pretty conservative and said so.  Their in-house model looked good.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost all models show southeast KY looking very good.  If you don't do well, nobody else is south of you.  Prime real estate. 

Seem's like most weathermen in our area is going with 8-16..Big spread but i guess it's impossible to nail exact amount's..Plus i think some are still concerned with mixing issues..Anyway's was hoping for a good paste job..Been a long, long time since I've heard the sound of tree's splitting in total darkness with flashes of blue..Very close to that Blue dot of the map Stove posted above..Yippiee 

I saw Todd Howell's model on WBIR...I think it is the RPM, but not sure...I believe it indicated 16+ for TRI area.....

Just last night, Mark Reynolds wasn't thinking anything like what he discussed tonight....huge shift in his description....still lots to work out, obviously....

Hey, I have lurked in here from Time-to-time the last couple days. I live in the Louisville, KY suburbs but you all seem to be keeping active on this storm while our sub-forum has gotten dark. 

Anyways, our local meteorologists mentioned a possibility and I'm wondering you alls thoughts as it would surely impact you. If the snow from today melts in Middle TN wouldn't that shift the storm north? Our meteorologist noted the historical tendency of storms such as this to take a track just south of the snow pack. What are your thoughts?

Hey, I have lurked in here from Time-to-time the last couple days. I live in the Louisville, KY suburbs but you all seem to be keeping active on this storm while our sub-forum has gotten dark. 

Anyways, our local meteorologists mentioned a possibility and I'm wondering you alls thoughts as it would surely impact you. If the snow from today melts in Middle TN wouldn't that shift the storm north? Our meteorologist noted the historical tendency of storms such as this to take a track just south of the snow pack. What are your thoughts?

Not sure how that's possible,but welcome to the board

Honestly, I'm not sure either but he seemed pretty sure of it and the storm tracking back north.

Our NWS also seems to be relying on that idea. They have gone up with expected totals while noting all the models are going the other way.

Never heard of that.It might help your 2m's,but it wouldn't have an effect on a storms track

Coming out of lurk mode, I saw this post from WxSouth earlier which could be of interest to the southern areas... 

https://www.facebook.com/WxSouth/photos/a.358160627547332.99358.356106867752708/1206875232675863/?type=3&theater

Thanks! I saw that, but don't want to get my hopes up just yet. Local mets are saying 1'-2' inches, so I don't know what to think.

Coming out of lurk mode, I saw this post from WxSouth earlier which could be of interest to the southern areas... 

https://www.facebook.com/WxSouth/photos/a.358160627547332.99358.356106867752708/1206875232675863/?type=3&theater

Thanks for sharing that.  Robert is particularly awesome in this time frame and has been known to hone in on details like this that many others miss.  It's definitely something to keep an eye on.

Here's the post to save a click:

VIC74mJ.png

...CENTRAL PLAINS THROUGH TN/SOUTHERN OH VALLEYS INTO MID-ATL
STATES AND SOUTHEAST...

A MOIST AND DYNAMIC SPLIT FLOW SYSTEM OVER THE NRN INTER-MOUNTAIN
WEST WILL REACH THE CENTRAL/SRN PLAINS LATER TONIGHT INTO THURS
MORNING. THE LEADING EDGE OF DIGGING UPPER DYNAMICS REACHING THE
PLAINS WILL BEGIN TO SHOW SIGNS OF FORMING A MID TO UPPER CLOSED
LOW OVER KS/NE...ACCOMPANIED BY A BURST OF SNOW WHICH DEVELOPS
ALONG AN INVERTED SURFACE TROUGH FOR LOCALLY HEAVY ACCUMULATIONS
FROM ERN/CENTRAL KS INTO CENTRAL NE.

ON THURSDAY...DIFFERENT STREAMS OF FLOW ALOFT WILL BEGIN TO SHOW
SIGNS OF PHASING OVER THE LOWER MS VALLEY AND LEAD TO A DEVELOPING
HIGH SOCIETAL IMPACT WINTER STORM. THE MID TO UPPER LOW AND
VORTICITY WILL DIG SOUTH AND EAST TOWARD AR/NRN MS TO ESTABLISH AN
AMPLIFIED UPPER TROUGH OVER THE LOWER MS VALLEY/CENTRAL GULF COAST
STATES. THIS AMPLIFICATION WILL ALLOW ABUNDANT GULF OF MEXICO AND
SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE TO SPREAD NORTHWARD... BEGIN INTERACTING WITH
A DEVELOPING AREA OF LOW PRESSURE AND OVERRUN INTO MODIFIED ARCTIC
AIR MASS. THE RESULTANT WILL BE A WIDESPREAD AREA OF HEAVY SNOW
AND LENGTHY TRANSITION ZONE ALONG A VERY SIMILAR AXIS FROM AR INTO
KY AND THE APPALACHIAN SPINE WHILE SPILLING OVER EAST OF THE MTNS
INTO SWRN VA/WEST CENTRAL NC.

ON FRIDAY... A FULL FLEDGED MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL SHIFT
DOWNSTREAM WITH THE CLOSED MID TO UPPER CIRCULATIONS TRACKING INTO
THE SOUTHEAST... WHILE AN ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW TRACKING THROUGH
MS/AL WILL WEAKEN AND A NEW COASTAL LOW WILL FORM NEAR THE
CAROLINAS COAST. THE MAIN DIFFERENCES WITH THE GUIDANCE STILL
REVOLVE PRIMARILY WITH TIMING THE AMOUNT OF NORTHWARD PROPAGATION
OF THE PRECIP SHIELD AND MOISTURE. BREAKING ITS STRIDE...THE 12Z
RUN OF THE GFS SPED UP AND IT BECAME A FAST/EASTERN OUTLIER.  THE
20/00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE AND THE 20/06Z GEFS HAD THE BEST AGREEMENT
IN TERMS OF POSITION AND AMOUNT...AND WAS THE WPC QPF PREFERRED
APPROACH.  USING THIS RESULTED IN FAIRLY CONSISTENT AMOUNTS FROM
THE PREVIOUS SHIFT WHILE ACCOUNTING FOR A GRADUAL SOUTHWARD SHIFT.

BANN

http://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=qpfhsd

Archived