• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

If I could find one, we ought to keep track of current 850 temp map by the hour and see how it's matching up with nam forecast. Surface is the least of my worries and probably everyone to my east and north. Wetbulb is in low 20s and seeing nothing but moon and stars. Have noticed the chimes starting to make a little noise. HP is just now sliding into position to start nosing the ne wind down this way. ALSO read that the nam initialized wrong and tried to shoot the current lp in Louisiana up a convection line / feedback issue.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I could find one, we ought to keep track of current 850 temp map by the hour and see how it's matching up with nam forecast. Surface is the least of my worries and probably everyone to my east and north. Wetbulb is in low 20s and seeing nothing but moon and stars. Have noticed the chimes starting to make a little noise. HP is just now sliding into position to start nosing the ne wind down this way. ALSO read that the nam initialized wrong and tried to shoot the current lp in Louisiana up a convection line / feedback issue.

The more I look at NAM initialization, the more issues I see. 

what site do you use for converting wet bulb temps? 

Wondering if you could post that snow? Thanks

what site do you use for converting wet bulb temps?

Old school math. You got hooked on that common core math and now look at you having to rely on computers and calculators.

Seriously I can give you formula, but the best is the mesowest site. Just punch in NC and play with radius. It has all kinds of features and updates hourly from all the reporting stations. You can see the lower dps in va coming down, wind trajectory etc.

hrrr doesnt look bad at all for upstate into nc, snow in rdu thru 11am. calm down.

I thought precip amount looked great but I didn't believe the precip type showing and totals after comparing current temps and what it thinks they will be only a few hours down the road. Nowhere close to the end of the run.

I know others want to compare past NAM etc...to see how good they did. It seems just as prudent to look at temp profiles on HRRR and RAP if people are using any accumulation amounts from them.

hrrr doesnt look bad at all for upstate into nc, snow in rdu thru 11am. calm down.

its easy to get the prestorm jitters because as those of us in the se know, whatever can go wrong with our winter storms usually does lol.  however that looks pretty decent to me at this point, and shows close to what has been on the models lately (although i am speaking mainly for mby of course, ne ga and the upstate)

Old school math. You got hooked on that common core math and now look at you having to rely on computers and calculators.

Seriously I can give you formula, but the best is the mesowest site. Just punch in NC and play with radius. It has all kinds of features and updates hourly from all the reporting stations. You can see the lower dps in va coming down, wind trajectory etc.

Cool thank you Sir!

Using the weather station at the school I work at (it is 5 miles se of me) Winds have just changed to ENE from ESE. 

Everyone in NC has a NE wind currently at surface except Asheville, looks S or SE. But think that's common at their airport alot. Maybe the topography, valley Configuration.
Anyway this will help calm nerves in upstate

Everyone in NC has a NE wind currently at surface except Asheville, looks S or SE. But think that's common at their airport alot. Maybe the topography, valley Configuration.

Anyway this will help calm nerves in upstate

I'm in the upstate and have a NE wind that's now picking up to 10mph, been around 5mph for a while. So not gonna be long till CAD starts moving on in. I'm thinking maybe around 4am or so.

Archived