joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wham bam thank you Nam. Now lets hope the real models do not follow their ensembles

There is some and I mean some agreement to this sort of QPF output... If this model would of been able to run through the entire storm a lot of places would be over 2+ feet some getting to 3+ feet... So lets just take it with a grain of salt. but again I like to see the NAM doing this at this.

The 0z parallel Euro at 0z is further NW than the OP with heavier snow across the area.

It just updated a few minutes ago.

Great.... funny thing I was looking at '96 evolution this morning and watching the radar loop over and over again... I couldn't believe how similar it looked it terms of how long it took for the snow to reach us.  It will be a long wait from the time the snow reaches southern NJ before it reaches us.  We must be patient.

Yes, though in this case, it actually appears to be fairly in line with the other models down south. Actually surprised me.

Not saying to ignore it. It could have validity in terms of many things but QPF is not one of them. The other thing you have to keep in mind with respect to the other models is the Euro is generally given high weighting in terms of accuracy. I hope it comes north a little bit today. We shall see. 

Not saying to ignore it. It could have validity in terms of many things but QPF is not one of them. The other thing you have to keep in mind with respect to the other models is the Euro is generally given high weighting in terms of accuracy. I hope it comes north a little bit today. We shall see. 

I believe we will see a northern push with the EURO at 12z.  It shifted nicely north last night which made everyone happy and showed 6-12 throughout the entire NYC region.  The main thing I hope the model correct is the sharp cutoff that at the current time extends in our far NW areas (Sullivan, Ulster, Orange and Dutchess counties). 

The confluence on the GFS is weaker and heights are building ahead of the ULL. Game on.

The kiss of confluence to strengthen the surface high, which we need given the slightly sub-optimal airmass.  Then get the hell out of the way to let the thing roll up the coast.

The kiss of confluence to strengthen the surface high, which we need given the slightly sub-optimal airmass.  Then get the hell out of the way to let the thing roll up the coast.

Antecedent airmass is actually pretty solid - can't thumb your nose at -10C 850s as the storm approaches...

Antecedent airmass is actually pretty solid - can't thumb your nose at -10C 850s as the storm approaches...

Yes, but if you have a staller than you're going to modify that airmass during the storm, like 96 did.   This is more like 92, but 6 weeks later in the season, which makes ALL the difference.  92 probably would've been snow to the coast in mid January.

I do think we're going to be seeing some slight northward adjustments in track before all is said and done from where consensus is today.  This past Sunday's system fresh in my mind, best explanation I have for it is the very warm water off the coast painting a pretty good picture of where the baroclinic zone will be. 

Archived