joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17th, 2016 Wintry Event OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Western Suffolk, near 460/Kings Fork Road...  Snow mixed in around 10:15am and turned all snow at 10:40.  Been snowing moderate/heavy ever since.  Trees, grass, and driveway covered (not roads)...  around an inch on the grass; slushy.  flakes have been fairly big for the most part.  temp around 33.5 on average since 10:30.

Light, moderate, heavy, hard are all such subjective terms. Photos are about he only way to convey how much or how hard. Unless you're trained to identify types of snow.

Not really...

>1km visibility: light snow

1-0.5km visibility: moderate snow

<0.5km visibility: heavy snow

^Dang, I didn't realize it snowed up there. Great pics. :) I wonder if Paris Mountain got any. 

Paris Mountain did! I go to Furman so it's literally right next to us, drove up there about 6:45 while it was still dark and the rain turned to snow halfway up the mountain. 39 at the base and 33 at the top. Couldn't get a pic of the snow but here's the Greenville skyline as viewed from the Paris Mtn summit. The haze in the sky is from all the snowflakes.

24332781062_e7b6d989c0_b.jpg

Light, moderate, heavy, hard are all such subjective terms. Photos are about he only way to convey how much or how hard. Unless you're trained to identify types of snow.

Not really...

>1km visibility: light snow

1-0.5km visibility: moderate snow

<0.5km visibility: heavy snow

And for the metric challenged.

Since the output of the ASOS visibility instrument is in 1/4-mi increments for visibilities less than 2 mi, the snowfall intensity is defined as heavy for visibilities of 1/4 mi or less, moderate for 1/2-mi visibility, and light for visibilities of 3/4 mi or greater (National Weather Service 1994). 

And for the metric challenged.

Since the output of the ASOS visibility instrument is in 1/4-mi increments for visibilities less than 2 mi, the snowfall intensity is defined as heavy for visibilities of 1/4 mi or less, moderate for 1/2-mi visibility, and light for visibilities of 3/4 mi or greater (National Weather Service 1994).

I'm sure the average person has the ability to estimate visibility in 1/4 mile increments, Right?

snow accumulated about 0.25 of an inch on the cars; less than that on grassy surfaces.  It was pretty but short.  Sun popped thru the clouds around 11am and it was all melted 5 minutes latter.  Boundry layer temps killed what could have been close to an inch.

Who's the hottie?

I knocked on the door of the farmhouse up the road asking permission to take photos on the property. The farmer told me his crop had failed; he needed to marry his daughter off to someone with means who could take care of her. He saw that I arrived in an automobile and knew I was successful. The wedding date is in March.

Archived