Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane season

Jason WX

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The next few days are obviously pretty important for the future of this system.  If it can organize into a TD or TS before the islands, then a strong western Caribbean cane is a good bet.  If it just races into the Caribbean as a sloppy wave, then its future is a bit less certain.

Generally disagree. EC/GFS both bring this past the islands as a wave... Then develop it. GEM is the only one that develops it east of the islands. Haven't seen the UK

21 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I find the fairly low latitude of this system fairly interesting, I mean, the euro and GFS both have this scraping South America. Pretty sure this is fairly rare, I havent heard of any tropical cyclones ever significantly impacting South America.

Hurricane Felix in 2007.

2 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I find the fairly low latitude of this system fairly interesting, I mean, the euro and GFS both have this scraping South America. Pretty sure this is fairly rare, I havent heard of any tropical cyclones ever significantly impacting South America.

1 hour ago, jojo762 said:

Hurricane Felix in 2007.

Hurricane Ivan/2004.

Hurricane Hazel/1954.

• 2 weeks later...

If this system does materialize, at least we have another 7+ days to get caught up on rest... I'd rather have something to track, then nothing. 12Z OP-GFS was similar to other runs in developing a system. Euro isn't in yet, of course. 

Looks like a slopgyre on the EURO. I remember STS Nicole in 2010 was similar. Favorable conditions exist for a few days before the storm finally forms. Low Shear and high RH in the area, but little surface wind to help the storm establish a structure. Those AEW have the benefit of having trade winds on the north side.

On a EMC call yesterday, the UKMET did the best with Matthew's track and the HWRF (not suprisingly) did the best with intensity. 

Hard to see in the images they sent, but the black line in each plot is the verification, the blue line is the unperturbed run, and the green line is the ensemble mean. 

The top 4-panel shows an 8-day prog and the bottom a 4-day. In the top, the UKMET is only one with a sigfnt FL impact and the bottom shows the UKMET with the best ens mean affecting the SC coast, while the others re-curve too much. 

All hail the King UKMET! 

matthew.png

matthew3.png

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived