• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 7th through 9th Storm/event

TugHillMatt

Noon GFS trys to develop a wave  Sat afternoon that runs north along the 540 thickness line into lower Michigan.

As each run slows the advance of the main trough and sharpens its amplitude think there is a real chance we get a secondary system out of this before the cold arrives.

Have not looked at the ensembles yet. Hopefully they give support to the indications of noon GFS.

Need some more snow before the hammer comes down!

Euro and GEM both deliver a little sliver of snowfall for the OH Valley into eastern Lakes later Sat night into Sunday.  Could be enough to deliver an inch or two to some snow starved areas there.  Definitely looking like a thread the needle event, so it'll be something to watch down to the last minute.  At least there's a chance.

I think our average temp is lowest around Jan 15th. But, yes... we are peak right now through Feb 1st.

For areas north, like the UP... winter is pretty much the same from here till March.

Average temp is lowest (& the same) Jan 7-31.

Halfway mark of met winter is Jan 15.

Halfway mark of astronomical winter is Feb 2.

Halfway point in the snow season statistically at DTW is Jan 26.

GFS delivers in NE IL with 2nd wave!

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_16.png

There's the positive trend I was mentioning on the post I made on the other thread

Since it's a narrow window, overall setup seems to be supportive of a compact precip shield and airmass starts out marginal, need the interaction between the northern stream trough and southern stream wave to play out close to that GFS run.

There's the positive trend I was mentioning on the post I made on the other thread

Since it's a narrow window, overall setup seems to be supportive of a compact precip shield and airmass starts out marginal, need the interaction between the northern stream trough and southern stream wave to play out close to that GFS run.

Wouldn't call it a trend. GFS has been all over the place with this second wave and now is the farthest west. Euro,UK and GGEM have all been taking this through the south and inland up the coast. We'll see what those show us in a little bit but for now best to take that GFS with a grain of salt.

Wouldn't call it a trend. GFS has been all over the place with this second wave and now is the farthest west. Euro,UK and GGEM have all been taking this through the south and inland up the coast. We'll see what those show us in a little bit but for now best to take that GFS with a grain of salt.

Haha yep, was being a bit facetious there. The 12z Euro definitely trended east along with many of the individual EPS ensemble members, so still a ways to go. With such a thread the needle setup, easier for things to go wrong than right. Was at least good to have one of the 00z operational runs as an example of what could happen if the upper level features come together right.

0z UK looks like it goes right over me or close by. 0z GGEM more of an apps runner.

ggem:  1003 low over central AL to 988 over central PA.   If someone asked me to draw my weenie snowstorm track, that would pretty much be it and yet in this miserable manure box of a winter, it's rain.

On another note, the ggem looks quite a bit less impressed with the 'plunge' after this weekend.  That might be a good thing.

Kinda confused...was this thread meant for just the first wave on Friday or also Saturday/Sunday?  If it's the latter, then thread date should be extended into the 10th.

Ricky (RC) liked the idea of waiting 24 hours to see if the model hung onto this second wave making an impact in the subforum. Then start a separate thread for it.

Kinda confused...was this thread meant for just the first wave on Friday or also Saturday/Sunday?  If it's the latter, then thread date should be extended into the 10th.

Not sure.  I posted earlier on in this thread about the Saturday night into Sunday threat for some light snow in the OH valley with the secondary wave.  I guess maybe the first and second waves should have their own threads, although both look pretty wimpy relatively speaking.  

I'm thinking that it was for the first wave, but we might as well use it for both the first wave and the second /frontal passage.

IWX has been beating the zr drum for a few days now with the first system tomorrow night. Looks to change to all rain early Thursday morning though. Something to watch for Northern IN.

Archived