joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ocean Effect Snow and its impact on Cape Cod, MA and Islands

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models favor a north wind come Monday, over very warm water for this time of the year.  SSTs around 8.5C to 9.5C over the Bay and north of Provincetown, MA.  850mb temps approach -14 to -19C as arctic front moves through the region on Monday morning as an ocean storm takes shape east of the region.  The combination of the incoming ridge to the west and the downstream storm over the ocean will lead to cyclonic surface winds out of the north, to northeast on the models.  Right now only .150" of QPF falls in this time frame from 12z Monday through 12z Tuesday on the GFS, but this is normally underdone in these situations, especially when the model recognizes a convective precip type, but can't come up with the total precip amount.  Delta Ts which are one of the more important parameters as well as wind direction in these events is around 24-27C, which relates to extreme instability parameters.  So we have a potentially volatile day 4.5 to 5.5 situation.  We shall see in 30 hours what the NAM wants to say about this situation.

I fondly remember CWEAT nailing OE time and time again. Even when models showed nothing, once explaining to Todd Gross the science driving the event. Tempest fugit as some may recall the newsgroup days. Today SPC has a LE variable, BTV runs a local meso ans of course Bufkits. The frequency of occurrence combined with localized interest with such short notice really does not garner popular appeal.       

I wouldn't have to go to other threads if mets were nice enough to give me their thoughts on the potential in this thread, it is hard when I'm the only one posting in the thread because I'm the only Cape Cod poster

Sent from my iPhone

Hey we get similar meso-scale weather up here and its mentioned sometimes, but I can't blame anyone outside of the immediate area for not caring about 1-3" snow showers.  If we get a huge upslope event, there will be discussion about it and likewise I'm sure if you got a true good OES event there would be discussion about it.

But you can't expect to make numerous posts in every thread about a minor type of weather that doesn't affect the majority of posters, and expect them to overly care about it.  Its ok to mention in passing, but clogging up a lot of different threads over whether 0.07" or 0.12" QPF falls as OES is going to be met with some resistance from time to time.

I wouldn't have to go to other threads if mets were nice enough to give me their thoughts on the potential in this thread, it is hard when I'm the only one posting in the thread because I'm the only Cape Cod poster

Sent from my iPhone

Step back a bit and think.

1) it's nye people got stuff going on.

2) you're posts always are cape cod centric but no one here lives there.

3) we all care about our own backyard first, but most of us talk about possibilities for areas outside of our driveways...you don't seem to do that.

4) people don't have to, Esp mets, respond to your thoughts when YOU want them to. They'll do it on their own time when they see fit. Chill.

5) you bombard us with OES potential with every passing wave or cold front where you get so excited like you're in the tug hill plateau but reality is you may end up with some flakes. We've seen it too many times to take you seriously.

6) posting in multiple threads about the same topic to get attention or responses is unecessary to put it kindly, most of us read first so we see it. We get it.

7) don't take any of this personally, I'm sure you're a good dood and if a huge paralyzing blizzard where to erupt over the Gulf Stream I'd be the first one to send you 1-800 flowers...but dial it back a bit. Most winter weather events are not extreme, they are a dime a dozen.

Archived