Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mr Bob

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 22 inches on the season. 3rd straight winter above 20 inches here. Bound to hit a dud soon, LA Nina can occasionally suck the life out of winter as we saw in 2012. We've got 10 months to start worrying about that though. Hopefully the areas south of 40 can get a hit before we finish off winter in the next 30-40 days.

At 22 inches on the season. 3rd straight winter above 20 inches

here. Bound to hit a dud soon, LA Nina can occasionally suck the life out of winter as we saw in 2012. We've got 10 months to start worrying about that though. Hopefully the areas south of 40 can get a hit before we finish off winter in the next 30-40 days.

Good deal! Trending much weaker towards a la nada. Even whispers of a weak Nino which I doubt since a Nino after a super Nino is somewhat rare(have not looked at the actual chart and could be wrong). But definitely looking better...

If anyone has any free time, I recommend checking out Matt Hinkin's Facebook page. He has an excellent post on there trying to explain to folks about meteorology and the challenges of forecasting.

I've always thought that one of the hardest jobs in the world is being a meteorologist, because there's a whole lot of factors that go into formulating a forecast that the public just doesn't understand.

If anyone has any free time, I recommend checking out Matt Hinkin's Facebook page. He has an excellent post on there trying to explain to folks about meteorology and the challenges of forecasting.

I've always thought that one of the hardest jobs in the world is being a meteorologist, because there's a whole lot of factors that go into formulating a forecast that the public just doesn't understand.

"One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night..."  -Matt Hinkin

Last year we had a big winter event on the 17th, this year the 14th. Last year we had a big winter event on the 26th, models are all brewing a southern system for the 23rd. Hopefully the 9 day spread works again.

I hope so, John. This winter has been so disappointing that I'm almost ready for spring if we aren't going to see a major snowstorm.

Being that this is banter, I hope I'm posting in the right place, if not, will someone please set me straight and delete this post? I've been an avid reader of this forum for a bit, so I thought I would share this... I've recently gone to http://community.bloomsky.com/?utm_source=weatherlution&utm_medium=january-giveaway&utm_campaign=January-giveaway&utm_campaign and basically purchased a free weather station, only cost me shipping (understandable, it's not light). Anyhow, this thing includes a camera with solar panels and contains quite a few sensors. I received mine today and set it up... Seems to work pretty well. Here is mine, newly setup : https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4rZWp Just thought if a few more of us got it, It'd help the forum.

Being that this is banter, I hope I'm posting in the right place, if not, will someone please set me straight and delete this post? I've been an avid reader of this forum for a bit, so I thought I would share this... I've recently gone to http://community.bloomsky.com/?utm_source=weatherlution&utm_medium=january-giveaway&utm_campaign=January-giveaway&utm_campaign and basically purchased a free weather station, only cost me shipping (understandable, it's not light). Anyhow, this thing includes a camera with solar panels and contains quite a few sensors. I received mine today and set it up... Seems to work pretty well. Here is mine, newly setup : https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4rZWp Just thought if a few more of us got it, It'd help the forum.

This is actually very cool. It could really help out on the forum. This is a pretty good idea. Was the shipping very expensive?

Cost me $20. They ask that you keep it public for 6 months (is that really an issue?) and try to get at least 20 followers. I read up on it as much as I could and I still can't find a down side. I mainly got it to hook into my home automation (it has lux and detects rain, barometer, uv, a camera that take a pic every 5 minutes of the sky! And a few other bells and whistles and includes an api to hook into). I'm paranoid, so I'm still waiting on the catch, but so far, if 6 months and 20 people favorite it is all I need to worry about... Well...

Cost me $20. They ask that you keep it public for 6 months (is that really an issue?) and try to get at least 20 followers. I read up on it as much as I could and I still can't find a down side. I mainly got it to hook into my home automation (it has lux and detects rain, barometer, uv, a camera that take a pic every 5 minutes of the sky! And a few other bells and whistles and includes an api to hook into). I'm paranoid, so I'm still waiting on the catch, but so far, if 6 months and 20 people favorite it is all I need to worry about... Well...

Thanks for sharing this with us. I signed up and then I did the survey afterwards too. I really hope I get one. Even if I don't the app is very useful. I already see a lot of users in the Tennessee Valley area. The live view of the sky and the timelapse features are genius! I will try to give you a favorite.

Thank you for posting this!  I signed up as well.

We should get a home automation thread going sometime and swap notes.  I've been tinkering with a homebrew opensource system consisting of Raspberry Pis, Arduinos, and various sensors tied into OpenHAB.  I'd love to get a weather station going with it as well.

We should get a home automation thread going sometime and swap notes. I've been tinkering with a homebrew opensource system consisting of Raspberry Pis, Arduinos, and various sensors tied into OpenHAB. I'd love to get a weather station going with it as well.

This is a topic of which I have limited knowledge but am very interested in learning about.

Nice post, thanks for sharing.  I am guessing they are getting bombarded with free system requests this morning from our state.  You can add me to the list.  

This is a topic of which I have limited knowledge but am very interested in learning about.

I've been interested in this since the late 90s and have dabbled in it on and off over the years.  There are many elegant commercial solutions out there but they tend to get VERY expensive very quickly.  My goal is to build something that is reliable but cheap.  My kids are starting to show an interest in electronics so this winter I've started making another push to figure things out.

Thanks for posting.  I have an aging Davis Vantage Pro that needs to be replaced at some point.  I've had it since 2005.  It's been great, but the dewpoint/humidity sensor quit working this year.

And I love the idea of an HD Camera. 

I've been interested in this since the late 90s and have dabbled in it on and off over the years. There are many elegant commercial solutions out there but they tend to get VERY expensive very quickly. My goal is to build something that is reliable but cheap. My kids are starting to show an interest in electronics so this winter I've started making another push to figure things out.

I started with simple x10, then added HomeSeer. After zigbee and z-wave matured, I dropped x10 and went to smartthings. Smartthings has its own issues, but as far a protocols go, zigbee and z-wave are pretty darn dependable.

Archived